1990 Jeep Grand Wagoneer Build

So I emailed Chrysler with my VIN inquiring about the build sheet. They responded quickly and were helpful, but I have a few questions...

The build sheet states:
"DMAS 4.30 Axle Ratio" That seems incredibly high to me? Did Jeep make a towing package with 4.30 gears?

Also, this:
"DGA All 3-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGHS 4-Spd. Automatic 36RH Transmission" Did Jeep even make a 4 speed in the Wagoneers?

And finally:
" DJGS 215MM Front Axle
DRKS Dana 44/226MM Rear Axle" So the track width is different front to rear, or I don't have a D44 in the front?

Anyone who is good with Jeep's Wagoneer production and build codes who could help would be really appreciated!

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
So I emailed Chrysler with my VIN inquiring about the build sheet. They responded quickly and were helpful, but I have a few questions...

The build sheet states:
"DMAS 4.30 Axle Ratio" That seems incredibly high to me? Did Jeep make a towing package with 4.30 gears?

Also, this:
"DGA All 3-Speed Automatic Transmissions
DGHS 4-Spd. Automatic 36RH Transmission" Did Jeep even make a 4 speed in the Wagoneers?

And finally:
" DJGS 215MM Front Axle
DRKS Dana 44/226MM Rear Axle" So the track width is different front to rear, or I don't have a D44 in the front?

Anyone who is good with Jeep's Wagoneer production and build codes who could help would be really appreciated!
I'm not the best FSJ guy but I was under the impression that the tow package came with 3.31 gears vs the standard 2.73. Also, I thought that all Grand Wagoneers only came with the TF727 3 speed. Finally, I've never personally seen a Grand Wagoneer with anything other than D44s F/R... with identical track width.

Again, I'm not a "true" FSJ guy. I own one and enjoy it but don't have all of this info committed to memory by year.

I'm not the best FSJ guy but I was under the impression that the tow package came with 3.31 gears vs the standard 2.73. Also, I thought that all Grand Wagoneers only came with the TF727 3 speed. Finally, I've never personally seen a Grand Wagoneer with anything other than D44s F/R... with identical track width.

Again, I'm not a "true" FSJ guy. I own one and enjoy it but don't have all of this info committed to memory by year.
Thanks for the reply - that's kind of what I thought, but wasn't really sure. They are definitely both D44's, and seem to be the same track width by my tape measure, so I think I'm going to chalk it up to the Chrysler information being a little foggy on an almost 30 year old vehicle.

Thanks for the reply - that's kind of what I thought, but wasn't really sure. They are definitely both D44's, and seem to be the same track width by my tape measure, so I think I'm going to chalk it up to the Chrysler information being a little foggy on an almost 30 year old vehicle.
That doesn't add up, the chrysler 215mm isn't a dana 44. No 4 speed autos, 3.31 gears for tow package and 2.73 gears without tow package. It's almost like they sent you info for an XJ wagoneer, not a grand wagoneer.

I would have to agree with Bob on this one. Everything I know of the FSJ world is mostly all 3 speed trannys, being the TH400 and the TF727. 3.31 was the tow package and the 2.73 was the standard. There were plenty of wagoneers that came with the AMC 20 rear end, but you would recognize that pumpkin versus the 44. With the chief, since it was more of the off-road capable rig, 3.54s were also an option, which mine has.

Not to say that AMC could have offered different things, but that is what I know to be the standards.

Also, this is what you want to decode your VIN:

http://oljeep.com/gw/vin-index.html

Thanks everybody! I guess Chrysler just screwed up on the old VIN - no worries there.

Late model should be 44's.

At the end of the run the 727's had torque converter lock up if im not mistaken, but never a 4 speed option.
Do you have any rubbing with the 4" of lift and 33's? I'd like to do as little lift as I can and run 31's. I was thinking 4", as that's usually accepted as the min, but if I can get away with 2" and not have to do any trimming I'd rather do that.

Well, the Wagoneer has just been sitting in the garage while I've been working on the interior, so I decided to see if it would start. It did on the 5th or 6th try and I drove it around the block, and took a better picture of where the interior is currently at. Between the rough idle and the cold starts, EFI is creeping up my to-do list...

In my head I want a 4" lift and 31's, but every time it's out of the garage, I love the stance with the 2" (?) lift and 30x9.5's

Outside.jpg Outside2.jpg

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
I'm with you. I like the 2" lift with 30x9.5s as well. I have gotten my Waggy into a number of decently hard trails on that setup... the belly clearance is pretty good on these.