1990 GMC Jimmy kinda Casa grande progress....

1976K5Chalet

Observer
Since my 76 Chalet body is toast...and having no where to swap a non rusty tub i opted for plan B. Rework the camper and mount it on my 90 Jimmy that has all the right parts in it. Its currently at the off road shop getting an extension for the rear bumper built so it can go to its next stop for a top rebuild and new canvas.

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
Officially the most off-road capable Chalet/Casa Grande EVER! Nice work. Can't wait to see what they do for the rear bumper extension.

1976K5Chalet

Observer
My buddy Steve runs the service department at Barney Brothers. He has a rather good idea of what we need to do. Need to change the latches for the swing aways as well. Current set up is a hood pin on roids with a half of a shock eyelet rubber and pin. Noisey as all hell. It is also getting all 4 tail lights replaced with the LED rapid fire ones....

zoomad75

K5 Camper guy
My buddy Steve runs the service department at Barney Brothers. He has a rather good idea of what we need to do. Need to change the latches for the swing aways as well. Current set up is a hood pin on roids with a half of a shock eyelet rubber and pin. Noisey as all hell. It is also getting all 4 tail lights replaced with the LED rapid fire ones....
I'd say get it together. Larry's Desert trip in june. Black rock/High rock desert. Throw a cot in there if the inside isn't ready.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
You have done the best modification you can do with a Chalet.

Mount the original Chalet shell on a later model (89-91) square body Blazer along with upgraded suspension and TON 8 lug axles.

Having owned and driven 6+ Chalets it's becomes very obvious very quickly that the original Chalet's (76-77) were way overloaded with the shell mounted on their back with the 5 lug original axles and stock Blazer suspension. Personally "I" think that's why the Chalet concept was so quietly discontinued by GM as they really were not safe as originally built and GM knew it! A weak overloaded suspension and inadequate brakes did not make for a good safe combination riding down the road much less a trail!

Mounting the original Chalet shell on a later model Blazer gets you FI and overdrive. Add the TON axles and suspension upgrades to support the axles and you have now solved all the original problems with the Chalet concepts. These upgrades are well worth the time and expenditure needed to make the conversion and you can then sell the junk left over original Blazer to a kid for a mud truck!

Sounds like a win win all the way around!

Your truck looks GREAT!!

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Exceptional rig you have Mr Chalet. Me like. I bet you can go almost anywhere with that truck. I am looking forward to seeing your progress and some pics of your fine rig off road. Cheers, Chilli...?

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
The filled-in front windows cures the leak problem, that's for sure. But if you haven't gotten to it yet, another cure would be a bit of fiberglass re-engineering to get the roof to overlap the walls rather than sit on top of them. Many of the other built-for-purpose-rather-than-collectibility owners could use that fix.

1976K5Chalet

Observer
Update: Work is slowly progressing on the Jimmy Chalet. Rear bumper brackets and hitch from the 76 were adapted to the 90 frame and the bumper is in place. Also 2 sets of LED tail lights were installed as well. We sent the shocks off to Walker Evans for a rebuild as they were 7 years old. She required a water pump on the LQ4 and a reseal on the front diff cover. Next up is some custom rear spring work to get her sitting level (leans to left due to weight of left rear bumper arm) and the front steering is requiring a few tweaks as well...plus a set of rear air bags. After that she will be going to Bailey Co. to see the Toy Chinook wizard for a rebuild on the top and new canvas along with an interior build. Here are some bumper pics.

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Your truck looks awesome Mr Chalet. That rig must be really powerfull with that engine. Cheers, Chilli... ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94