1990 E350 Superwagon XL Build

Kannman

Beautiful work. Nice transition between the walls and ceiling. I like the overhead cubbies.

In an unrelated not, I miss my F4.

Thanks. The F4 is the old ladies but it's a hoot to give it a supper every once and a while. ?

Kannman

Finished the electrical panel with the exception of of a couple fuses and bigger wire for the inverter. Meter and shunt installed and functioning. Looks like the test battery is going to pack it in before my battery bank arrives.
After some debate on flooring we chose vinyl sheet and installed it and started wrapping up the rest of the interior and other systems. After some trim its back outside to finish body work and the roof rack and to figure out how to stuff a couple 6 volt batteries underneath along the frame rail. I'm sure that will cause the brain to smoke a little. Sooo close to rolling down the road but still lots to do.....Meter.jpgPanel.jpgMeter.jpgFloor.jpgUnder sink.jpgSink.jpgFloor night.jpg

Kannman

Is this a regular dorm fridge? If so, they usually use the side walls to evacuate the heat. Unless yours have a coil in the back, you are decreasing the efficiency of the fridge. I just took the same approach on my build, but made sure I was leaving room for air circulation around the walls.
Thanks for the heads up! It vents from the back. I'm going to put a couple 2" holes in the back of the box for ventilation and monitor temperatures. If it's too much, I'm going to install a pc fan to help.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
To hold weight I’d use ‘nutcerts’ aka ‘rivnuts’ in sheet metal. For lighter things, self tappers.

For mine a tap and die is what was used even for seatbelts... but 1/4” aluminum is far from sheet metal.

Last edited:

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Aluminum's susceptibility to fatigue would make me use something else for constant-duty safety equipment like seatbelts. Are they at least in double-shear?

Last edited:

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Aluminum's susceptibility to fatigue would make me use something else for constant-duty safety equipment like seatbelts. Are they at least in double-sheer?

Not sure what you mean by double-sheer.

I know ambulance specs dictate everything be overbuilt by a factor of at least 1.5 beyond the maximum load they could possibly experience. So if the engineer calculates a fastener needs to hold 5000 lbs... at a minimum it’ll hold 7500 lbs... but quite likely 10000 lbs. No corners are cut. I’ve not opened wall with the rear belts... but at a minimum they’re in 2x2 1/4” aluminum box. There could possibly be more... they were removed before I bought the rig, and I’ve not looked at them super closely.

The outer walls are 1/8” aluminum... and the roof is sturdy.

Kannman

To hold weight I’d use ‘nutcerts’ aka ‘rivnuts’ in sheet metal. For lighter things, self tappers.

For mine a tap and die is what was used even for seatbelts... but 1/4” aluminum is far from sheet metal.
The wooden strapping in the van were secured with lots of big selftappers. All the wooden cabinetry is wood screwed to the strapping. It's going to get thrashed down wooded trails and see how it holds up.

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Not sure what you mean by double-sheer...

3eedc908d3ebee4cd00e07e6f94f5f14.gif

Kannman

Holes in doors and rockerpanels mended.
Some rust paint and a brush. Bodywork complete. At least till next year when it gets a coat of green so it blends with the forest better.
Now off come the wheels and see what awaits me in the brake department.
Currently it has 31" sneakers like to sneak some 35"s if they fit. What's the largest that will fit on a 3rd gen e350 without trimming?

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1531742533590.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1531742533590.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 40
  • PhotoGrid_1531742900644.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1531742900644.jpg
    713.1 KB · Views: 41

Kannman

Spent the weekend tidying loose ends. Treated the oxidized paint with a magical compound. Wax.
Finish the rack in a few days, on the roof and go!

Attachments

• IMG_20180722_191154_233.jpg
    IMG_20180722_191154_233.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20180722_191154_226.jpg
    IMG_20180722_191154_226.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 36

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior