1990 E350 Superwagon XL Build

JakeC

Spent the weekend tidying loose ends. Treated the oxidized paint with a magical compound. Wax.
Finish the rack in a few days, on the roof and go!

How long did she take to wax? Lol. The last vehicle I waxed was my Super Beetle and i feel like this van would be a full afternoon! Looking good!

Kannman

How long did she take to wax? Lol. The last vehicle I waxed was my Super Beetle and i feel like this van would be a full afternoon! Looking good!
Too long! All afternoon and I still have to do the roof. Hope it likes it cause that's all it gets till paint next year.

Kannman

Well the interior is almost done except for making the passenger seat swivel. New brakelines run and the overfueling problem fixed. Who ever thought a disconnected MAP vacuum would cause so much grief.
Rack construction has begun and should be complete in a few days. At 14' it should leave enough room for panels, spare tire, kayaks and other miscellaneous junk ?20180801_101813.jpgResized_20180801_101719-02_3034.jpeg

Kannman

Well I got the rack built. 8" too long. I'll suck it up. Placed the panels in their hinges to see how everything lined up. 1/8" out over 14' Perfect. I spent a great deal of time pondering how to mount the rack when a metal wizard friend took one look and said " Just weld some angle together." Mocked it up and made 7 more the next day. Does not budge but the rack will have to be cut for removal.
After working full out for three days I managed to get everything fabbed and installed for its maiden road trip to the middle of no where and the modulator valve decided to start spewing. 4 day wait for a replacement and 2 minutes to install, it made its first voyage 14km inland from any major road and at least 50km from civilization.Solar mockup.jpgPrototype.jpgBrackets.jpgRack.jpgRack resize.jpgWoods.jpgTobeatic.jpgClub Wagon.jpgMorning.jpg

Kannman

Well its been a while. Took the big pig out of storage for the summer and the build continues. As much as I wanted to be a Firefighter as a child, the whole emergency vehicle look wasn't for me. Time for a color change. And why stop there? May as well go for broke and put some tires on that will sling some dirt!
Any bigger and it would have required some plasma scissors. Phew.
Of course now the chrome looks like S#!T so we started with the mirrors and slowly we'll paint all of it while the bumpers are being fabbed.521920521921521922521923521924521925

Kannman

Battery and controller upgrade finally done. 6v Batteries are substantially bigger so a new tray had to be macgyver'd and glued together. Tight fit.
Enough work. To the woods for testing.
After a days thrashing down some ATV trails, nothing budged ?
Next....ladders and kayak racks. It just never ends...523822523824523825523826523827

JakeC

Lots of rot and not a welder

Well after some probing we've made some nice holes and bubblegumed some patches in place. Again not a welder but i'm sure i'll be close when this project is done. Nothing a grinder and seam sealer won't fix! :)
After I got everything ground, seam sealed, and etch primed, I used some bed liner in the cab and barndoors then a dose of the finest rustoleum paint to cover it all up. Almost as good as new.

I know it's been a bit, but I'm curious, did you choose not to replace the body mount near the rear wheel arch? Mine has this exact rust!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online