1989 Trooper Build

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
I agree That looks great . right now I'm trying to sort the issues of the motor out then I start in on my Troopers body. I have pulled the back seats on mine as mine will be a EXPO buggy. As I have seen what it can run like between bouts of acting all Italian car like. I think it will be a great buggy . The way you are redoing yours is fantastic. is it possible to get a clear shot of the badge for rig of the year . I want to take it down to a print shop and see what they can do for me.

Take me somewhere will ya Christine.

I agree That looks great . right now I'm trying to sort the issues of the motor out then I start in on my Troopers body. I have pulled the back seats on mine as mine will be a EXPO buggy. As I have seen what it can run like between bouts of acting all Italian car like. I think it will be a great buggy . The way you are redoing yours is fantastic. is it possible to get a clear shot of the badge for rig of the year . I want to take it down to a print shop and see what they can do for me.

Take me somewhere will ya Christine.

Thanks for your comments. I will see what I can do about getting a good pic of the "4x4 of the year" badge. Even though it is in mint condition it is hard to get a good picture because the gold leaf in the badge acts like a mirror when trying to take a pic and you get reflections like crazy.

As part of my restoration I would like to eliminate the chrome bumpers and argent bumper ends and go with the black black bumpers and black bumper ends. I think this will give the vehicle a cleaner look. The black front bumper and black front bumper end came in today. Now I just need to locate the parts for the rear end.

It feels like I spend more time looking for these rare parts on the internet and phone than I do actual wrenching these days. Iguess that's part of owning an old car.

26566319580_1158b95149_b.jpg

PPCLI_Jim

Adventurer
few things to do.jpgb2.jpg

This is what I did for the rear bumper . tow / rescue point i made it out of 1/4 " angle and 3 passes with welder. very stealthy and strong . yet it still retains the stock corners and looks

a1e9851b-aad9-465c-9888-9f81d9b5f073.jpg

I plan to keep the truck as stock as possible. I plan to change up the color scheme a bit but I have no need for an offroad bumper. I just do mild adventures with this rig. Mostly just gravel or dirt roads in the desert.

I ordered a bunch of new parts for the Trooper over the past two days. I am converting the Trooper to a round eye headlight setup as opposed to the square headlights found on the later models. I have a new round eye grille and new emblems. I purchased new LED headlights with a replaceable bulb rather than the traditional sealed beams. I also bought a set of 6" KC Daylighter G6 LED driving lights. I plan to mount them on the front bumper. These will be controlled by a round switch I purchased which will be mounted on the left side of the dash. It should all look perfectly stock. I also purchased a Johnson II CB radio. It has the same green back lighting as the Trooper and will match nicely with the stereo and gauges.

I hope to have all these part installed by next weekend. I am way excited to get it ready for this years Relic Run. http://www.relicrun.com

Slide12.jpg

gravity_dl_651_pairpack_2.jpg

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
The round eye LED headlight conversion is complete. I added the LED KC Hilites, a new black front bumper and black bumper ends, to go along with the new switch. The new LED light are crazy bright. I really like how it turned out. Now I need to change the back bumper to mach the front.

27255911972_0cec3fa7f4_b.jpg

27353507695_6bdf48b560_b.jpg

jhill15

Explorer
Looking great! I love the 1st gen head light set up! I know you wanna keep it stock but just out curiosity I wonder if jw speaker leds would fit.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

You swapped out the 1989 headlights for 1986 round ones. So I wonder if jw speaker evolution headlights
7e11cf57b073d9f2cad06c3fedc5d78f.jpg
would fit the 1986 grill.

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Yeah, they should fit. The Troopers with the round headlights use the common 7" headlight like Jeep Wranglers. I am pleased with LED lights I purchased, besides being extremely bright, they have built in fans to keep the lights cool and the bulb is replaceable rather than being a sealed beam.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles