1989 Suburban - posting for a friend (Craigslist)

Happycoop

Observer
While I realize folks in Asheville will pay a premium for a trendy item (I lived there a number of years), I had to do a double-take when I saw the $18k price. Maybe I'm missing something, or a lot of somethings, but I just don't see that as a realistic price point for these old burbs. I love the rig, don't get me wrong...but I think he'll need to reword his ad to better explain to buyers why it's worth his asking price. Best of luck to him!

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
"1989 Chevrolet Suburban 4X4....Overland Edition"

First line in the seller's CL ad.

That's why it's worth $18k!

In all fairness to the seller there have been a number of square body Suburbans of this vintage sell for $20K PLUS at collector vehicle auctions across the country. Those square body Suburbans that brought the big money were stock 4x4's in pristine ORIGINAL condition.

Happycoop

Observer
Agreed...if it was a mint condition specimen the price could be sky-high and the right buyer will jump on it. I do imagine a good bit of money has gone into making this particular one what the present owner wants/needs...but that isn't clearly written out in his ad. What I see and read appears more like a sub-$10k rig than the advertised price (home made drawers, exterior in bed liner, etc.). Just wanted to pass along the impression for what it's worth.

getting nowhere

That header leak would drive me crazy and likely the vehicle occupants as well with all that monoxide. Just missing or broken bolt? Might point that one out to your friend.
Back to lurking...

Wallygator

Adventurer
Thanks for the feedback. Will pass it on. Also a modern 5.3 swap and all that goes with that, headers, recently rebuilt trans, 3 electric fans for cooling, new brakes, BDS all spring lift kit, tires, suspension, trussed axles, replaced body mounts, newer steering components (all of them), sway arm bushings new, balanced drive shafts, and so much more done....all this stuff costs a lot of money and I'm sure he is trying to recoup some of that expense. ....Bottom line it's a vehicle that can travel the country over and over reliably as he has 3 times so far. An everything is cheap to maintain and replace. When needed just drop a $500 5.3 in and run another 10 years. A simple and reliable truck.

There is no exhaust leak...he realized after returning home from Colorado 3 weeks ago the bolt had worked itself out. I don't see the issue with "homemade" drawers as most people do this. Also the "overland edition" was a joke hence the smiley afterwards. Anyway, will pass it all on, thanks!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94