1988 Toyota Custom Cab Build

loukoff

Didn't find much rust after pulling the windshield luckily, but since there is some rust coming from the passenger door jam I suspect the rain gutter is hiding something nasty that I'll have to dig into soon. I primed using epoxy primer and painted/clear before having the new windshield installed.

Paint by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

New Windshield by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Made a bed platform for the back with some 2x4 and a piece of 3/4" plywood which I wrapped in indoor/outdoor carpet I had laying around. I used two thermarests with a memory foam mattress topper on top.

Bed by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Just made it back from Utah which got cut short after having some issues with the ol' 3.0. First it was the battery, then blowing more fusible links and then rough idle and stalling out on start up so I decided to turn around rather than risk having to find other ways to get home. After putting 6000 miles and quite a bit of work on the 3vze I've come to dislike it a bit. for one it's been nothing but problems since I got it but also with all the weight of the custom cab and my gear it the truck feel extremely underpowered, had to ride in the slow lane with the semi's through the mountains on I70 and had a hell of a time keeping traffic happy on the hills of the single lane higways of Utah. I could probably just regear for the 31s but I'm thinking an engine swap will be happening in the future. I've looked into quite a few different options and right now I'm thinking I'll probably go with a 1uz. I know the 5vze is an easier swap but I think I'll be more satisfied with an early 1uz (probably non-vvti) especially since I plan to tow with the truck eventually.

But anyway I was able to complete the Rimrocker trail and do a canyoneering route I wanted to do before I decided to pull the plug on the rest of the trip. Despite my troubles I had a great time which left me hungry for more adventure in the Custom Cab!

RR Mining by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

RR sunset by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Ordered new cv boots and getting ready to have the control arms for the lt kit powdercoated this week and gonna try to fix the issues 3.0 so I can make it through the winter before tearing in for a swap as I don't want to drive the brat during the winter. Noticed my battery terminals have quite a bit of corrosion on the wires so I'm gonna look into that first.

Reactions: bkg

mybigwarwagon

Rarely serious
I always wanted a Brat, and a Toyota pickup. I had a Suburb Gl that I was driving when 96 year old man crashed his Chrysler LHS into me. I barely got out of it afterwards. Screwed up my back so that a small vehicle is out of the question now. I am 6'4" and getting in and out of my wife's S10 is out of the question.

Your Suby build was great, Can't wait to see the Toy.

loukoff

I always wanted a Brat, and a Toyota pickup. I had a Suburb Gl that I was driving when 96 year old man crashed his Chrysler LHS into me. I barely got out of it afterwards. Screwed up my back so that a small vehicle is out of the question now. I am 6'4" and getting in and out of my wife's S10 is out of the question.

Your Suby build was great, Can't wait to see the Toy.
Yeah I definitely understand I'm also 6'4" and barely fit in the brat even after modifying the seat to sit as low as possible, too hard of a bump and my head hits the ceiling. Sorry to hear about your accident, I too am having troubles with small vehicles after having knee surgery at the beginning of the summer I haven't been able to drive the brat due to the angles required by my knee to get back and forth from the brake and gas pedal quickly enough to slam on the brakes if needed. I'm hoping that the PT exercises I do everyday allow me to get back in the drivers seat next spring.

yellowtoytruck

One of my side windows was missing the latch and was only being held in by a small screw. Was able to find a new window latch because the custom cab used rv parts for the windows and rubber seals which are all still being made.

Latch prefix by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Latch fix by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Also got some new Milestar Patagonia 31/10.5R15 tires mounted including a full size spare

31 side by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

31 front by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

I pulled the windshield today to get any rust holes fixed and primed before getting the new windshield which should be installed later this week. Luckily I didn't find any holes just one small spot of pitting.

Windshield pulled by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

I'm getting ready to head out to Utah next week to do the Rimrocker Trail and some parts of the Utah
This week I installed new speakers and radio to replace the ones that were stolen a few months back. I had to remake some trim pieces to hold the tweeters in place using some thin aluminum stock that I found laying around the house. Used a large metal shear to cut them out and hole saw to drill out a spot for the tweeter.

Alum Stock by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Tweeter trim by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

P tw by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

D Speakers by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

One of my side windows was missing the latch and was only being held in by a small screw. Was able to find a new window latch because the custom cab used rv parts for the windows and rubber seals which are all still being made

Latch prefix by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Latch fix by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr
I just got a custom cab myself and my rear r/v windows are missing those clips and need new seals too. Do you have anymore info on the seals or the clip? Do you have a part number or a link or did you buy local?
Great build so far!

loukoff

Got the big snowfall of the year and with them starting to dump salt on the road I gave the truck a good wash and coated the bottom with some fluid film to help slow the spread of rust.

First Big Snow by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

FF by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

With the colder weather I started to have some grinding between gears so I changed the tranny fluid with some Redline MT90. I've also had trouble getting into reverse since I got the truck so I also replaced the shifter and transfer case bushings and socket with the marlin crawler kit (forgot to get a pic).

Transfer case shifter socker was filled with nasty hardened grease or something.

Shifter Bushings by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

T case grot by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Clutch fluid looked pretty nasty so I decided to go ahead and flush it with some new fluid

Clutch Fluid by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Got almost all the stuff I need for the long travel swap now after getting some deals on Black Friday for shocks, extended brake lines, ball joints and a Chevy 63 spring swap kit. All I need now is the Chevy springs. I'm working on rebuilding the cv's this week and getting some paint on the control arms as I decided to save some money out of my budget to put towards my engine swap fund. Also gonna be siping my tires as they're not that great on ice, which I'll definitely be encountering lots of for the next couple months here in MN.

Last edited:

loukoff

Thanks for the reminder that I should probably redo the transmission and t-case bushing while doing the t-case e-brake mod.
Would definitely recommend it! Made a big difference in shifter feel and helping get into reverse and low range easier.

loukoff

Finally was able to get to installing the downey long travel kit in the front. Tried to use Ford F250 shock mounts but realized I wouldn't able to get the UCA off so I ended up using the shock mounts that came with the kit which I'm not a huge fan of. First I cut off the stock shock monut. Then I welded a peice of 1/4" angle iron to the frame which the shock mount then bolts too, I also cut a bit of the inner fenderwell to make it easier to get the control arm off If needed.

Shock Mount by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Along with the control arms I used all new ball joints, tie rod ends, and Bilstein 5125 Shocks. With the kit I used 26mm Downey torsion bars because of the added leverage of the longer control arms. The axles which use Porsche 930 inner joints and stock outers with a custom shaft were also rebuilt before installation.

LT by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

With the swap I gained about 3" off lift and track width increased 4". I haven't flexed it out yet but I should have gained about 5-6" more travel to to get about 12" total.

LT side by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

LT front by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

I did a rough DIY alignment but need to take it in to a shop to get it properly dialed in. Excuse the carolina squat, I will be tackling the rear soon. Plans for the rear are to swap in chevy 63" springs to hopefully match the lift of the front and get better flex. I have everything needed for the swap just need to find the time to do it.

Last edited:

loukoff

Saw a cheap Wildernest come up somewhat locally and decided to pick it up and plan on fixing it up and probably modifying it to fit as it is a long bed version.

Took the topper and sleeping platform out the back and headed out to pick it up.

No Cap by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Wildernest by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

By the time we got the wildernest mounted on to my truck it was 9 so I headed to the Chequamegon national forest to set up the tent and sleep in it for the first time. Missed pictures of it because it was dark and cold.

Set it up again this morning just to look everything over
The Nest by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

The canvas is in rough shape and I plan on sewing together a new tent myself. Also probably going to chop the back something like this so it fits the short bed better
1584311163098.png

Last edited:

loukoff

Any pics of how the frame is stretched? Thx!
C channel was used to extend the frame then it was plated the inside to box it in then crossmembers, body mounts for the extended cab section were also added. This was probably done using a chassis jig. I can get more pics if you need but the ground was wet so I didn't feel like crawling around for too long.

Frame extentsion goes to where the frame starts bending up.
stretch by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

Hard to tell in this photo but the c channel ends about where the crossmember is welded in on top of the frame. You can see the plate used to box the c channel extends past where the c channel ends and onto the original frame about 8".
Plated/crossmember by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

c channel by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

back of c channel by Luke Hoffman, on Flickr

tennesseewj

Observer
Man that's a bizarre looking ride! How long is that beast after the stretch? Seems like it would be a similar wheelbase to modern crewcab/standard bed configurations.

Is the rear cab just an empty storage area now that you put the bench up front?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles