1988 Packmule expedition conversion

BoarderMX

Observer
Heyo, Nice build looking into the Timbren Suspension as well. Did you go with the "2000 lb with 3500 lb hubs" give it a 4" lift, or did you go with the 2000lb 4" lift for off road tires that is advertised (Part # ASR2KHDS03 i think)?

When I purchased mine, the only option was the "2000 lb with 3500 lb hubs" as I needed the lift to fit the 315 Duratracs in. Been holding up great so far.

JeeperJake

Observer
Thanks, glad to hear it's working for you still. I am about to start an M416 build and i am thinking about going with this setup. Your write up will for sure be a staple. Nice work!

MTaco

Adventurer
I love when I click on a link in a thread that is linked to an older build that I missed. That is what happened here and I enjoyed every picture and post on your trailer. Great set up, it is just what I want to do someday when I have more space. About the only thing missing from what I want to do is have an adjustable tent platform that could be raised when I set up the tent but you did mention that too. Nice work! :bowdown:

Epix

Observer
BoarderMX, that's a hell of a trailer you got there. I too have decided to go with this suspension but I'm just trying to narrow it down to either the 3500HD or the 2000 lb setup on my M416. Can you tell me if the 2k axle is still enough for your equipment and needs, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Also how did figure out how high to lift your trailer to match your jeep. I have no experience with suspension's so forgive me if I'm not asking the right questions.

Livinup8750

I'm a proud new Pack Mule owner

Well, I'm really excited to find this thread about Pack Mules. I'm the new owner of a custom built 1971 Pack Mule. This trailer was cumpluetly rebuilt from the previous owner I purchased from. I didn't realize how special this type is until I ventured online. I really like the idea of switching to the independent suspension so I can allow a spare with my 33" BFG's is currently use on my 2013 Moab 2 door Jk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 64
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 65

RandyP

Adventurer
The Pack Mule trailers are classics. I have one I bought in about '86 from olive hurst, ca. Been improving it ever since I bought it. I was wondering if BoarderMX is still impressed with the Timbren axle setup. After breaking several spindles, trailer spring main leafs, ECT. I installed a 5600# rated Dexter axle with 8 lug hubs and electric brakes a few years ago. Has held up just fine since then. The Timbren axle might work as well or better. I could use hubs that match the 5 on 5-1/2" bolt pattern on my jeep, carry one less spare tire &wheel. The long leaf springs (CJ7) I use on the trailer are quite flexible and the trailer does turn over now and then. The Timbren axles might not be as flexible and help stabilize the trailer some.
RAndyP

Last edited:

Abe Froman

Adventurer
Well, I'm really excited to find this thread about Pack Mules. I'm the new owner of a custom built 1971 Pack Mule. This trailer was cumpluetly rebuilt from the previous owner I purchased from. I didn't realize how special this type is until I ventured online. I really like the idea of switching to the independent suspension so I can allow a spare with my 33" BFG's is currently use on my 2013 Moab 2 door Jk.

Nice trailer! I always see yours parked on the street behind your jeep and I was wondering what kind of trailer yours was. Now I know.
We live on Oak Street in Telluride.

Livinup8750

Hello Randy, are you saying that your trailer has flipped over every now and then using the CJ leaf springs? I don't want this to happen even once if it's the case...I've seen one of my wheels pop up after hitting a large rock, and I was off camber at the time...

RandyP

Adventurer
Hello Randy, are you saying that your trailer has flipped over every now and then using the CJ leaf springs? I don't want this to happen even once if it's the case...I've seen one of my wheels pop up after hitting a large rock, and I was off camber at the time...

Well, I must confess that the Packmule has only turned over on the Dusy/Ershim trail. An extreme 4-wheelin trail from kaiser pass to courtright reservoir in the Sierra national forest, 35 miles long, John Muir wilderness to the east and Dinkey lakes wilderness to he west, mostly at 9500' elevation. Very few 4-wheelers chance pulling a trailer over that trail.

Since I added the axle limit straps and bump stops, and went back to 37" tires (I ran 40's for a while to match the jeep), I only turned it over twice. Once dropping down into LakeCamp camp, an extremely rocky route where I was not able to choose a good line for the trailer. When the jeep dropped down off a large rock in the back, the trailer short cutter the route and went over on its top. The second time I was not paying attention and put the trailer on its side leaning up against a tree. Did not go all the way over because of the tree. The X-O skeleton roll cage I built around the trailer saved the roof top tent both times. No damage to the trailer or tent.

On graded (some neglected, not graded recently) forest service, mining and old two track routes, I have never turned it over. So if you pay attention to the trailer, travel on reasonable routes, you should not turn a trailer over.

The CJ springs have an extra leaf, military wrap style, and maybe even an add a leaf. The trailer is heavy, about 1500# if I remember right (should weigh it again loaded, with 18 gallons of water, 10 gallons of gas). The CJ springs give the trailer a much softer ride than the short trailer springs. I have broken many trailer spring main leafs, they were just not up to the beating the trailer gives them. The trailer axle has shock absorbers also.

fishnyc22

Thanks for this step by step. it's absolutely awesome. I have a 71 Pack Mule (bought it 2 years ago from 'Livinat8750' who commented earlier). I have been working on some improvements. Added removable outriggers on the rack so I can mount bike racks on the left and right side of the tent (didn't want to put too much weight behind the trailer with several bikes).

How are you liking the Timbren suspension and electric brake hubs? That is a wish list item for me. BTW... The water tank and pump are amazing. Nice work!

IMG_1401.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior