1988 Packmule expedition conversion

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Looking great man! Glad those lights worked out well for you, I am very happy with them and they offer very good all around the trailer lighting at night. I also love the fact that they draw almost nothing and I can leave them on all night before bed for ambient camp light as needed.

Trailer looks great, and good cal on the red...you can NEVER have too much red!

BoarderMX

Observer
Great weekend enjoying Tepui Fest 2013 at Hollister Hills SVRA. Tepui threw a great event with food, kegs and a band. Land Rover supplied a offroading exhibition and training classes for folks.

Some of the other rigs

After the event I took the tent off in preparation for getting some paint work done that was missed in the original job and got the gas cans on. They required a bit of modification to make them work with the trailer lip overhang. Next up is rear sidewall mounted propane tanks to free some room in the bed of the trailer. Also moved away from the wheel to a foot mount as the wheel wasn't working well with the weight.

The drop down panel to allow the can in and out when you remove the top lock.

BoarderMX

Observer
Very nice!

Thanks Mark!

With the 5lb mounts from Adventure Trailers and some Manchester 5lb tanks, I was able to get the left and right side exterior tanks mounted. These replace a 20 lb tank that was previously carried inside. This will free up some room in the trailer and provide enough gas for everything over a week trip.

Also replaced the lid shocks with some stainless steel 240 lb'ers from McMaster. Makes raising the lid a breeze now and with a good tug comes down easy enough as well.

Also upgraded the solar charger control to a 30 watt with 12/24 solar panel auto sense.

Not a Morningstar Pro but we'll see how it holds up.

Hopefully a few more outings before winter completely rolls in. How long can you leave gas springs before they lose their charge? I understand if leaving them in the closed position over time the seal dries out and gas escapes and they get "soft" but does anyone know how long that takes, i.e what is the risk period in leaving it unattended and not opening and closing the lid in which the hydraulic fluid lubricates the seal. one month, two, three, six? any feedback would be appreciated. As much as it is a pain to remove them, I'd rather that than have to replace them every season.

sk8rjess

g007_citizen_kane_slow_clap.gif

sk8rjess

also i don't know for sure on the gas shocks but i couldn't imagine it would have to be every month. i'd think atleast once a season would be ideal but that's just my .02

Cmb2003svt

BoarderMX,
What and awesome read on your build. Excellent work. I searched for a few weeks and my search abilities must suck because i could not find any of the gas cans you have. Amazon i presume?

Cmb2003svt

Mark,
My apologies on not being more specific. I found a ton of Nato style Jerry Cans but none that would ship to Kalifornina. I don't like the comments on the new cans with stupid Carb EPA spouts so i wanted to find the old wide mouth syle cap with the four tabs to tighten the cap and use a flexible spout or a Nata Style can.

BoarderMX

Observer
Mark,
My apologies on not being more specific. I found a ton of Nato style Jerry Cans but none that would ship to Kalifornina. I don't like the comments on the new cans with stupid Carb EPA spouts so i wanted to find the old wide mouth syle cap with the four tabs to tighten the cap and use a flexible spout or a Nata Style can.

Yeah I faced the same challenge, the new carb cans are horrible. You can find them on ebay if you search enough there are sellers without the shipping restrictions but you'll have to settle for the color they offer and paint them or here on Amazon for more money but again without the shipping restrictions and they come with the spouts.

NMBruce

Adventurer
I pm'ed you on the other forum where we started talking, Sorry, i see the spaces on page 2

Last edited:

Coby65

Observer
Love your trailer build!
I may have a opportunity to purchase one of these trailers from a friend and was wondering a year later any changes or mods?

BoarderMX

Observer
Love your trailer build!
I may have a opportunity to purchase one of these trailers from a friend and was wondering a year later any changes or mods?

They are great trailers and if you can get one, I would but then again, I am biased! I have just been using it lately, the next mods will be taking one of GregB's ideas for an awning off the back for cooking etc and then using the awning walls if needed for inclement weather. Tepui make a pretty good set-up for this.

On the way to Gold lake 4x4 area for one of the Tepui adventures this last summer.

Set up at the lake, the sky feature of the tent is awesome, the weather was great and being able to sleep "under the stars" but with out the bugs was great. Also, being able to drop the trailer and then go wheeling without having to break camp make hauling a trailer so worth it.

Nice view from the "back yard"

With over 20 lakes in the area all linked by trails, it is a great region to explore.

One trail led us to a fire lookout tower

Not too bad of a hike from the trailhead

But the original stair master at the end

But the views were worth it. You can see some of the trails on the hills.

JeeperJake

Observer
Heyo, Nice build looking into the Timbren Suspension as well. Did you go with the "2000 lb with 3500 lb hubs" give it a 4" lift, or did you go with the 2000lb 4" lift for off road tires that is advertised (Part # ASR2KHDS03 i think)?

The packmule is already made for offroad by helder mfg out of marysville ca. Not many of these were made and seem to have been hand built according to whatever the buyer wanted. Some had leaf only, some leaf and spring. This one was leaf only but had a shovel, axe and high-lift jack holders on the front which I have yet to see on another one. Going to be a slow moving project as I only have limited time on the weekends to get things done.

Picking it up in gold country from the original owner and hauling it back to the bay area. Very "bouncy" unloaded and I'll need to modify the suspension, also want to lift it and run the same rims and tires as the jeep to only have to carry one spare.

The trailer itself

The suspension

Took the lid off, welded up the old holes from the gas cans and scraped and primed the bottom. Cut the old shackles off and I'll be going with the Timbren axle-less suspension, the 2000 lb with 3500 lb hubs giving it a 4" lift and the ability to run 12" wide tires to fit the Duratracs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online