1988 D110 6x6 Ute

Maninga

Adventurer
Quite a few of these becoming available. Look for Perentie 6x6. Isuzu turbo diesel engine with 4 speed manual

uncompromise

Adventurer
Not sure how I'd like the steering wheel on the right and the gear shift on the left

This article from EP makes a pretty compelling case. Why Your Next 4WD Should Be a Right Hand Drive.

Coming from Australia, I have to say that I never get used to having my non-dominant hand on the wheel.

Re: this vehicle, the GVM is likely to be in kilograms given that it's from Australia, which means the equivalent GVWR is 12,346, in case anybody was wondering ...

Maninga

Adventurer
Not sure how I'd like the steering wheel on the right and the gear shift on the left

It's not that hard to get used to. I came off a plane from Australia to Phoenix peak hour, first time I'd ever driven in the US. The hardest part is depth perception, figuring out where the wheels are relative to yourself. Took me 3-4 weeks to get acclimatized.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
It is not just driving on the RHS, it is passing.

For example, passing a semi truck. You can't see around it when you are sitting on the shoulder side of the road.

Cheers

eco 45

Supporting Sponsor
It is not just driving on the RHS, it is passing.

For example, passing a semi truck. You can't see around it when you are sitting on the shoulder side of the road.

Cheers

Unless you are on the larger side these rigs are quite narrow and not hard to lean slightly to the passenger side to see around traffic. And now days with electronics quite easy to add a passing camera if one wishes.

cozydog

Observer
It's not that hard to get used to. I came off a plane from Australia to Phoenix peak hour, first time I'd ever driven in the US. The hardest part is depth perception, figuring out where the wheels are relative to yourself. Took me 3-4 weeks to get acclimatized.

Agree, I'm currently driving a RHD in Guyana and i have a hard time figuring out where my left front wheel is. that and eating snacks from the council with my left hand which results in lots of crumbs on my lap

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Unless you are on the larger side these rigs are quite narrow and not hard to lean slightly to the passenger side to see around traffic. And now days with electronics quite easy to add a passing camera if one wishes.

Well I live in the country, I sure don't want to be passing any big trucks on these roads where I can't see around the trucks and there is lot's of that here. On top of that my drives down to Central America, RHD would be downright dangerous. I have driven in Australia, for that it is appropriate but that is because you are on the opposite side of the road. There is a reason these RHD vs LHD are made the way they are for the respective countries.

To each their own but I am not doing it. And I have a RHD truck, that is being converted to LHD.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles