1988 Bmw R100gs

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Since I've put 8000 miles on this thing since October, I thought I'd add a thread on the mods and my experiences.

The Ride:

1988 BMW R100GS Motorcycle
just a tad under 1000cc (980cc)
462 lbs. dry weight
5.8gallon fuel Tank (30-34mpg.) (175mi. range approx.)
60 hp opposed twin, 5 speed trans, shaft drive
64,000 miles

BMW Solo Seat & Rear Rack
Happy Trails Aluminum Panniers/Mounting System
Zerk fitting driveshaft
Progressive Front fork Springs
Bosch Starter Upgrade
Continental TKC 80 Tires (17" Rear/21" Front)
Touratech Garmin V GPS Rally Mount
Touratech MSR Gas can mounts
Touratech 2Qt. Oil jug & Mount
Touratech center stand skid plate
Parabellum large windscreen (no longer in one piece after Mexico...:D )

I started motorcycling on a 2002 Honda XR650L and while it did great off road and around town, the 400lb 650cc single cylinder had much to be desired for long highway and road trips....so it was sold to a friend and my search for a larger bike began.

I found this BMW in Norman, OK through the Adventure Rider website, and after a couple of phone calls, I purchased a one way ticket to Oklahoma City and rode it back to Northern Arizona.

Other than a few little items, this bike has performed flawlessly, allowing me to cruise the pavement at 80mph or plod over rocks at 5mph or below. Standing on the pegs really helps make the weight disappear, and I really like it for low speed crawling.

It's been a great bike that is easy to work on and parts are readily available. Not as smooth or powerful as the newer 1100, 1150, or 1200 GS bikes, but I also don't need a computer to strip anything in the field.

If you don't want to drop 15-20K for a new BMW, I'd highly recommend the old airheads!

-H-

Attachments

• DSCN2053.JPG
    DSCN2053.JPG
    649.6 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Congrats on the bike. I bought an R80St with a 1000cc upgrade kit and lots of other stuff. Been a great bike. Needs a bigger tank and some aggressive tires and its ready for more than just dirt roads!

Scott Brady

Founder
That is such a cool bike Andrew. Having seen it in person, I was most impressed.

It appeared that the riding position was very comfortable and the bike was very stable.

The bike should also be famous too. Look for the July (I am pretty sure) issue of Off-Road, which has you riding along the Bloody Basin road :victory:

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Andrew
were you riding through Phoenix the other day around Tatum and Cactus?
I saw a BMW with aluminum saddle boxes just like yours making a left hand turn from cactus onto tatum - I remember twisting my neck around as far as I could to keep it in view while it turned!!!

Great Bike
When I get a bike I'll probably use yours as a template to aspire to!:bowdown:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Nope, I, unfortunately (or fortunately!) was not in Phoenix...

A quick update on the bike...when I got back from Mexico, it appears that the "pulse air" emissions system caused a couple of exhaust valves to burn up...so...

I am taking the snow in stride, rebuilding the bike...

Heads redone, new pistons & cylinders, new cam, timing chain, oil pump, clutch etc.... I'm reusing the original crank and block, but that's about it. :ylsmoke:

Rebuilding the transmission and reworking the charging system from 280 Watts to 400 Watts...

She'll be ready for "round the world" in mid-April!!!

It was either spend the bucks on the bike or start a college fund for the in vitro kiddo...glad I still have my priorities straight! :rolleyes:

Now I've gotta turn more of you to one wheel drive! (Unless it's a Ural sidecar rig, of course, which are 2 wheel drive....)

-H-

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
expeditionswest said:
That is such a cool bike Andrew. Having seen it in person, I was most impressed.

It appeared that the riding position was very comfortable and the bike was very stable.

The bike should also be famous too. Look for the July (I am pretty sure) issue of Off-Road, which has you riding along the Bloody Basin road :victory:

I've added a set of bar risers too...very comfy!
Surprisingly, it's much better off road than one would think for a 700 pound loaded bike and rider! The low end torque is fantastic. It'll lug up a rocky slope with no problems.

I can't wait to see the July issue! Gracias!

-H-

Scott Brady

Founder
Andrew,

We need to start talking about a moto trip for this fall. Maybe the White Rim trail. Do an article for Motorcycle Escape riding a set of borrowed 650 thumpers from BMW... :box:

underdog

Hltoppr said:
The low end torque is fantastic. It'll lug up a rocky slope with no problems.-H-

Man, I know what you mean. I've spent a lot of time on my old R80GS and a fair bit of time on a KLR650. The KLR doesn't like to be lugged through the steep rocky sections. Ya gotta keep the RPMs up and do some clutch slippage. The Beemer just lugs along. Like a John Deer on 2 wheels:)

I find I've gotta watch it on hot days though. Not much air flow over the cylinders when you're crawlin'.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Just got my custom driveshaft back. For those who don't know, the BMW driveshafts for the "paralever" bikes have a vulcanized rubber insert, presumably to help the shifts feel smoother. The problem being that the rubber twists, resulting in the universal joints at each end being out of phase...the resulting vibration kills the U-joints....

A new BMW stock driveshaft is $620....and sometimes they only last a few thousand miles....:Wow1:

That is just unacceptable to me for a "maintenance" part.

The new driveshaft I had built is solid, with no rubber dampener...We'll see how it shifts....

-H-

beemerchef

Explorer
Hltoppr said:
Just got my custom driveshaft back. For those who don't know, the BMW driveshafts for the "paralever" bikes have a vulcanized rubber insert, presumably to help the shifts feel smoother. The problem being that the rubber twists, resulting in the universal joints at each end being out of phase...the resulting vibration kills the U-joints....

A new BMW stock driveshaft is $620....and sometimes they only last a few thousand miles....:Wow1:

That is just unacceptable to me for a "maintenance" part.

The new driveshaft I had built is solid, with no rubber dampener...We'll see how it shifts....

-H-

Custom driveshaft??? That should be interesting... would love to hear about it... my own on a 96R1100Gs finally decided to bust the U joint after 155K... was lucky... 150' at 1am from my driveway...
Have you heard of Brunos in Ontario Canada? I hear he is the Master (has his own machine shop)at it including trannies... thinking about stopping there next May/June to have him rebuilt mine... www.brunos.us
I think he guaranties them for life... maybe I am dreaming!...
Do you know anyone closer that would rebuilt the tranny? My mechanical skills are not that develloped!...
Be well... Ara

98705799-S.jpg

ZooJunkie

Explorer
boy, I'm envious of you 1 wheel drive guys. My wife would kill me if I came home w/ a bike. She wouldn't even let me ride my mtn. bike to work, imagine a motorcycle... :ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15: :eek:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I've driven in the San Fran area, and agree it'd be a bit more of a pucker factor on a moto....

but...it's easier to get forgiveness than permission....:peepwall:

-H-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles