1987 Subaru GL 4WD wagon baja BUILT! 2.5L, 5-speed HI/LOW, lifted, snorkel, KM2s

travelvw

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27151078310...8&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:LCA:MOTORS:1123
Have to sell my GL :(. Please view the ebay link and let me know if you have any questions. And for those on Expo, the reserve is set at $5500. 417four9six34eight7. Thanks!
K
subaruglsale 002 (Large).JPG

haven

Expedition Leader
To meet forum rules, here's the full description, copied from the eBay listing.

If I were to describe this car with one word, it is simply fun! I absolutely love this wagon for daily use, highway, off-road, back roads, hauling stuff, and camping trips... it does it all very well! It cruises down the highway at speed with plenty of power to pull grades, even when loaded with camping gear. Acceleration is peppy despite the large tires, due to the low factory gearing, and much larger motor. I would even call it fast with a light load. The ride quality is exceptional on and off road with the strut suspension and proper spring rate. Yes, this wagon has been off road, but not abused; quite the opposite. It is everything one could want in a baja'd vehicle, but due to unfortunate recent circumstances and an impending move, I am forced to sell this irreplaceable GL. I hope this little wagon will make the new owner as happy as it did me!

Everything is dry on the underside, no leaks. Transmission shifts good, and both high and low 4WD work flawlessly. It is an on the fly setup with a shift from 2WD, to 4WD H, to 4WD L. The rear diff is locked with both axles in, and open with one of the axles removed. I leave it out unless I'm doing a really tough trail. With the included jack, punch, and hammer, it takes all of 5 minutes to install or remove.

There is some very light surface rust here and there on the body that could be easily touched up with primer. The body of this GL has minor dings, scratches, and scrapes, but it is completely rust free. Before welding up the rear wheel arches, I thoroughly cleaned and inspected the rockers, and there was not even a spec of surface rust! The floors are perfect. This is a dry, west coast vehicle, and it will last will last someone many, many years.

The interior is bare bones basic, and easy to clean out. There is currently no headliner, but I have the original for a pattern. The bucket seats are very comfortable. Rear seat is removed for better hauling capacity for bikes, camping gear, etc, although the seat is included.

Body:
Smittybilt winch
custom snorkel w/new inline K&N filter and pre-filter sock
new windshield and wiper blades
hvac from an '01 w/custom built aluminum super plenum/ducting for heater (heat will roast you out)
front end moved 1.5" forward
5" tig welded lift
solid mounted rear suspension beam tied in to body (so well done, it looks factory)
beefed front frame, skid plate, and front tube bumper
removable roof rack with built in air dam (quiet down the highway), high lift jack, and mountain bike rack
trimmed fenders, fully welded rear channel arches
Hella driving lights/brights
Nardi steering wheel
drilled for six lug Toyota, IFS steelies w/new BFG KM2's (approx. 5k miles), and a good Grabber AT2 spare
WRX front bucket seats
sound deadened interior
all wiring professionally installed and weather tight

Mechanical:
Engine
-EJ25 2.5L transplant, w/complete wiring harness and cluster from a 2001 RS Impreza, currently at 81k miles (less than 10k since install)
-stripped to short block, resurfaced heads, new OEM head gaskets
-OEM water pump, power steering pump, belts, plugs, wires, pcv valve, bearings for timing belt assembly, belt tensioner, idlers, hoses, the works
custom adapter plate to trans
XT6 2.7L clutch kit w/custom machined flywheel
SS brake hard lines Impreza master/booster, new front brakes, SS braided lines
WRX steering rack w/new inner/outer tie rods, power steering hoses
new OEM ball joints
new radiator cap, thermostat, hoses, and custom fit 2.5L radiator to match the engine
new AC parts (does need recharged)
new deep cycle battery, and alternator
new fuel lines and Warlbro high pressure fuel pump
de-smogged (this car was legally registered previously in California)
rear has Fox 2.0 10" fully adjustable coil overs, custom valved, w/Eibach springs
front has STI rebuilt rear struts, w/gusseted and extended adapters to EA knuckles and custom upper mounts to body
tig welded locked rear diff (to unlock, remove one rear axle w/two pins and a jack, all included)
beefed engine/trans mounts
extended diff breather up in to the body
re-routed, clearanced Impreza RS exhaust w/new Thrush muffler (throaty, but quiet)
new OEM 02 sensors
fresh fluids all around

I would not hesitate to drive this home, or cross country... that said: "needs??"
AC charged
tank pressure sensor, vent selenoid, and/or proper tank ventilation
-bucks on full tank only on very windy roads that create a lot of tank slosh for the first gallon or so; does fine around town or on the highway
very occasional erratic idle after start up and before releasing the gas pedal (rarely does this, no codes thrown, idle air solenoid?)
interior and dash work, if desired
check engine light is always on until the evap codes are deleted from the computer (related to being de-smogged); no other codes
front left CV clicks a little initially when cold, but goes quiet quickly (Subaru dealer says axle parts are due to arrive in July)
remaining wiper speeds hooked up (only one currently)
new wiper washer bottle (original is cracked)

Extra parts:
a number of spare axles and cvs
set of 4 doors
2 front fenders
the rear seat
2 boxes full of misc.
1 back up extra Bosch high performance fuel pump
high quality Hella DOT headlight and brights upgrade with mounting brackets (cost $400)

This is quite possibly the best built early Subaru GL 4x4 out there. Kyle of Jackson Racing did an incredible job! I myself have built a number of cars, and I am quite picky about doing things right, since I rely on my rigs to get me where I need to go and back. Kyle went above and beyond anything I have seen done on an early Subaru like this. I too have added quite a few touches, and improved the build. This car is reliable, like any stock Subaru, and it has been my daily driver. So much time, money, and energy has gone in to this rig. I can't imagine a more bang for the buck 4x4!

haven

Expedition Leader
Current bid $1225
Reserve $5500 (as stated above)
Buy It Now $6250
eBay auction ends June 8

What did you build this for? is it ready for a long roadtrip?

I was on my way from Oregon to Illinois and back when my rig went down. It's stored now and I need to get back on the road. I'm considering flying somewhere, buying a car, continuing my trip and then either selling it or using it for my travels once I get back to Oregon.

I just saw your note about being road-trip worthy so let me adjust my question ... what is it like in terms of heat/noise/vibration/comfort on a long drive in it's current condition? I'm pretty tolerant of discomfort but I'd need to get through 500-700 miles a day without hating life at the end :)

Used to drive a '98 2.2L Impreza wagon. Kinda miss the boxer beat ... and I could use it for my next Baja run in March.

Last edited:

travelvw

mudtop2 007_0001.jpg
mudtop2 035 (Large).JPG

The seats are very comfortable, and the ride is excellent both on and offroad. This is not your typical redneck built junk old Subaru. It is also not aesthetically finished to the standards of many of the rigs on this site, but the price reflects this. Here are a couple recent trip pics from a week out in the Arkansas back woods:
Arkansas GL trip 150 (Large).JPG
Arkansas GL trip 030 (Large).JPG

Also on ebay buy it now $5900, or best offer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/27151731527...6&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:LCA:MOTORS:1123
K

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles