1987 LHD DIESEL Toyota Landcruiser Troop Carrier SEE RECENT POSTS FOR LATEST INFORMATION

gilmorneau

For sale is a left hand drive Landcruiser Troopy from Europe, BJ75, so has the 3B motor + H55 transmission, a little over 150k miles on it. Condition per photos. Does have some rust in a couple places, but not rampant and replacement panels are readily available. The front seats are not original, but present fairly well. Rear interior is completely empty and ready for expedition build. It's currently located near Fresno CA (at my brother's house--he has a lot more room than I do)
IMG_5398.JPG
IMG_5400.JPG
IMG_5413.JPG
IMG_5403.JPG
IMG_5421.JPG
IMG_5419.JPG
IMG_5448.JPG
IMG_5414.JPG
. Asking $22,000 for it with Colorado Title in my name, will sell for less if the buyer wants to deal with the paperwork themselves. I have successfully imported a car like this previously, and know how to do all the paperwork, so no worries there--I'd be happy to walk the buyer through the process if they choose. I have all the necessary documentation from the import process and will provide it to the buyer. Please check with your local motor vehicle registration department as not all states have the same requirements. Many more photos available, but I have a really slow connection here so they're taking forever to load. PM if you're interested. Happy to answer any questions, and/or arrange viewing.

Steering, brakes, suspension, is all solid. (Hard to break, actually.) I'm sure the shocks are probably old, and the OEM springs ride like a buckboard wagon when the car is empty. I didn't think to check how much wear was on the brake pads, but they're not squealing or anything, and they stop the car fine, without pulling or other bad behaviors. Motor ran strong (3B strong, that is...lol) when I drove it. No weird leaks or noises or anything. Zero smoke on start up, cold or warm. Starts on first revolution of the motor. Shifting is tight, didn't pop out of gear or anything, no strange gearbox noises. I wouldn't have any qualms about the drivetrain at all. This Troopy is somewhat cosmetically challenged, but mechanically sound. There's no serious rust on the frame or underbody that I could see, what rust there is is shown in the photos. There are some panels on the car that have been repainted, so I can't make any claims for what's underneath, but here are my guesses. On the roof, if I were guessing, I'd say it was repainted because of paint fading/oxidation. Red paint of this vintage doesn't generally hold up all that great and the roofs are frequently bleached to primer, but the gutters on this one don't show any evidence of rust or the sealer having been compromised, which is a good indication that there's no rust under the paint up there. The rear fenders from the belt line down have been repainted also. Usually I'd suspect wheel arch rust, but whoever did it didn't repair any of the rust in the rockers (just painted over it as seen in the photos), so I'm not sure why they would have bothered to do anything if there was rust in the wheel arches. Besides, the back sides of the wheel arches are accessible and seem solid. The windshield frame has also been repainted, presumably at the same time as the roof. Whether it was done simply because it's contiguous with the roof (to make masking easier), or if there's some rust hiding under there, I couldn't say. Whoever did the paint did a less than artful job of it. If the original paint portions of the car were polished, it might match the "too glossy" look of the new paint sections a little better, but as is, it's kind of a "20 footer". Good from far, but far from good. If it was me, I probably wouldn't keep the red anyway (not my thing), but then, my "keeper" Troopy is white, and not everyone likes that either. :) Tires are old, tube types on the original split rims, and should probably be replaced if a buyer wanted to drive the truck home rather than having it transported. You could drive it onto and off a flatbed or car hauler with the tires that are on it (I did), but I wouldn't recommend driving it for prolonged periods at freeway speeds on them.

I bought it in Europe, imported it myself, and picked it up at the port maybe a month ago. I don't currently have a CO title, but if someone were willing to pay me full price, I could get one. It involves a bit of a scavenger hunt to get it done in Colorado ("bring me the broomstick of the witch", and all that), but I've done it before so kind of have it down. There are some not insignificant expenses involved, which is why I can sell if for less if someone wants to do the paperwork themselves. Some people would rather deal with all the paperwork themselves and save some money, so I won't bother getting the title until I know where the buyer is, and if their home state makes things easy.

I've tried to be as complete as I can, but if I've left anything out, or you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me. Thanks!

Last edited:

gilmorneau

Mickeyt—agreed, I’d dropped the price to $19k on listings elsewhere, just hadn’t gotten around to it here. I’ve seen two others with similar or more rust sell for this price in the last couple years, so it seems more reasonable. Contact me if you’re interested. Thanks!

gilmorneau

Price drop to $18,000. Car will be in Colorado as of the first week in July. Includes clear Colorado title in my name, ready to sign over to the buyer for easy registration in any state (except maybe CA--not sure). I've had ample opportunity to assess this car, and the worst of the rust is confined to the one rocker shown in the photos, the rest isn't really all that bad.

ianmac289

Price drop to $18,000. Car will be in Colorado as of the first week in July. Includes clear Colorado title in my name, ready to sign over to the buyer for easy registration in any state (except maybe CA--not sure). I've had ample opportunity to assess this car, and the worst of the rust is confined to the one rocker shown in the photos, the rest isn't really all that bad.

With the price drop, what's the new price if seller handles titling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gilmorneau

Price is $18000 with seller (me) getting CO title and providing it to the buyer upon sale. If you meant how much if buyer (you) handles all remaining title paperwork, that depends—I already paid the state of CO all the taxes and fees (had to when I got the temporary registration), but there’s a few dollars more to be done, so I have a tiny bit of flexibility. If you could pick it up in CA (before I have it transported to CO), I could save you even more. PM with an offer or any other questions. Thanks!

gilmorneau

Posted a couple of videos--a walkaround, and a motor startup. Also have tons more photos (as people request them), so if there's anything else you potential buyers might want to see, I probably have it.

Going for my emissions test tomorrow, and hope to get the VIN verification also. Then it's off to the DMV to get the title and plates.

Videos here:

and here:

gilmorneau

Bump for update. Still available. Now located in Boulder, CO. I have a clear Colorado title in my name ready to sign over to a buyer. Found some new(-ish) 7.50-16 all terrain tires to put on it, which should hold air much better than the crappy ones that were on there when I got it. $17,900. I've put a few hundred kilometers on it since I got it back to Boulder, and it's driving well. Here's a new pic I just took today:
IMG_5816.JPG

gilmorneau

UPDATE: New lower price--$16,900. Lots of expenses buying this and getting it here from Europe, so not a lot more room to move on the price after this.

I've had lots of interest, lots of tire-kickers (which is fine, BTW, I'm happy to show it off) and lots of questions. Here's answers to most of them:

Motor runs good. No weird leaks or noises or anything. Starts right up. Shifting is tight, no strange gearbox noises. Steering, brakes, suspension, etc. all seem decent, but it's an old car and everything should probably be checked before prolonged use. Does have some rust in a couple places on the body, but it's not rampant. The front seats, though not original, present fairly well. Rear interior is completely empty and ready for expedition build. This Troopy is somewhat cosmetically challenged, but mechanically seems OK. There's no serious rust on the frame or underbody that I could see. There are a couple panels on the car that have been repainted, but most have original paint. Tires are in good condition.

No, it doesn't have a/c. It doesn't have cruise control, or heated seats, or antilock brakes. It doesn't even have a buzzer to tell you that you forgot to put your seat belt on. In fact, you could make a very long list of the things it doesn't have. It is a very rugged, but very basic vehicle, built to go anywhere. It's not super quick. Think tortoise, not hare. Comfortable cruising speed on the highway is maybe 65. You could probably push it to 70 on level ground (without a headwind). It slows down, sometimes considerably, going uphill. Haven't checked the fuel mileage, but my other (identical) Landcruier gets about 25mpg on low sulfur diesel--no reason to believe this one would be any different. The tires that are on it are tube-type on the original split rims. Yes, it's difficult to find a tire shop that will touch them (but there is at least one nearby). Parts are NOT difficult to source. Many are available at the Toyota dealer (you may have to find the part number online yourself before ordering). There are also many parts vendors worldwide that cater to these vehicles, and their prices are often better than the dealer. These cars were (and still are) sold everywhere in the world except the USA, in copious quantities, so there's tons of support for them worldwide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles