1986 toyota 4x4 questions

jgallo1

Adventurer
I am in the process of buying a new to me 1986 Toyota extended cab 4x4. I was not looking for one of these trucks but I stumbled into a deal and could not say no. The only thing that would halt the deal, will be if it fails the inspection miserably.
I have owned alot of Toyota's but never a 22re. With that said, please excuse any dumb questions.

It seems most of the chassis, / suspension parts are interchangeable with 1st gen 4runner am I correct?

I have been spending hours reading about these trucks and I am getting pretty excited. Looking for some advice on a few items. I want to start ordering parts as soon as I get the okay from the mechanic on the inspection and compression test.

I am going to keep the truck, stock height. It's going to be a 2nd vehicle, for now, just something fun to drive around and take on few day camping trips. It does have a smithy built front tube bumper. I don't mind, I think I will just leave it. Other than that the truck is stock.

Here is what I am thinking. Let me know.

I know it needs new shocks:
I was thinking of using bilstein HD 4600. I usually use OME but on this truck, I want to keep it stock height. A few people have mentioned OME makes stock height suspension. I have not come across it, am I just missing it?

Steering dampener:
thinking I will just go Monroe. I could go with OME?

Torsion bars:
I think stock are 23mm is this correct. Looking for recommendations.

Tires:
31x10.5x15

Brakes, calipers , rotors
Looking for recommendations?

There are some cosmetic items, that I will comb some salvage sites for. Rear bumper needs a refresh, needs a new sunroof. Definitely going to add sound deadening to the floor and doors. I am sure a few other things. That's what I noticed so far.

Any other help will be appreciated.
Thanks

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
IF the seller cannot provide to you proof positive the mileage and date of the last timing chain, tensioner and water pump replacement on the 2RE engine do this service NOW. This should be the first item on your service list.

You do not say if the transmission is a stick or automatic. The automatics in these trucks can be problematic and if nothing else they are SLOW with a 22RE engine. Replace all the fluids in the engine, trans, transfer case and diffs. Use proper fluids and good filters. Check exhaust. A clogged catalytic converter kills the performance of a 22RE. Check ball joints, bushings and CV joints on the front-end. Check the U joints on the driveshaft.

This should git you started and Do ALL THIS ABOVE BEFORE you worry about torsion bars, shocks and steering dampers.

billiebob

I/ve had 2 old Toyotas, the engine is the best part of the deal. The fact the body and frame are steel is the wotst part. Be dilligent checking for body and frame rust. Rust is the reason that vintage of Toyota is rare. I wish that were not true cuz I'd love another '87 Four Runner.

ps, be nice if you include what state you live, There is a massive difference in climate and rust from maryland to Arizona.

Last edited:

jgallo1

Adventurer
I should have been a little more clear in my initial post. I am a Toyota guy and know the rust trap, timing chain, and front end problems.
That is always first on my list. I get the compression and basic inspection results tomorrow. As long as all that checks out. I will pick up the truck. The first thing I will do is the above maintenance. I always do that stuff on new to me vehicles.

I will be replacing front brakes with vented rotors. I will be changing all hoses, belts, spark plugs, timing chain, water pump, ball joints, tie rod ends, CV's spark plugs, brake cylinder, air filter, charge ac, and going to redo bushings. For most of this stuff, it will be a mix of OEM, Moog, and bushing, I like energy. Just waiting for the mechanic to give me the ok before I click the ship button on my carts.

The truck is 2 owner CA truck so rust is not an issue. The truck was also garaged. It's in great shape. It is automatic but the kicker, it has the factory turbo. o_O

jgallo1

Adventurer
IF the seller cannot provide to you proof positive the mileage and date of the last timing chain, tensioner and water pump replacement on the 2RE engine do this service NOW. This should be the first item on your service list.

You do not say if the transmission is a stick or automatic. The automatics in these trucks can be problematic and if nothing else they are SLOW with a 22RE engine. Replace all the fluids in the engine, trans, transfer case and diffs. Use proper fluids and good filters. Check exhaust. A clogged catalytic converter kills the performance of a 22RE. Check ball joints, bushings and CV joints on the front-end. Check the U joints on the driveshaft.

This should git you started and Do ALL THIS ABOVE BEFORE you worry about torsion bars, shocks and steering dampers.

I will definitely check the U joints, thanks for the reminder.

jgallo1

Adventurer
this thread is going to be dead, b/c the guy bailed on taking it to the mechanic. He finally got in touch and told me somebody offered him his asking so he sold it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles