1986 Toyota 4Runner Baja Budget Build

zelseman

Observer
We have been housesitting in the mountains and are really enjoying it so far, but that part that is kinda love hate is the road into and out of the ranch. It is 6KM of rough 4x4 trail and it takes roughly 40 minutes to drive one way. I took some video on the GoPro of me driving it starting at the pavement and ending at the ranch. Enjoy!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
We spent the day in Ensenada to meet our Housesitting hosts and eat some Tacos de Pescador.

They make tacos out of FISHERMEN??? ¡Dios mio!

Looks like a great trip. I haven’t driven down the Baja before, but I’ve done the mainland to Michoacan about a dozen times. I love Mexico!

Last edited:

zelseman

Observer
They make tacos out of FISHERMEN??? ¡Dios mio!

Looks like a great trip. I haven’t driven down the Baka before, but I’ve done the mainland to Michoacan about a dozen times. I love Mexico!
Still working on the Spanish, thanks for the correction.

zelseman

Observer
It's hard to imagine snow in Baja :eek:

Nick
You’re telling us. We knew it was their rainy season here, but it’s getting crazy. Since January we’ve had over 10” of snow and I’d guess close to 20” of rain. Driveway repairs start as soon as it’s dry.

Looks like it's time to wax up your skis! If y'all are at 4800' then that mountain above you might have some turns. Lol.?
I spoke to my mom on the phone recently and she asked if we brought skis. Unfortunately, I like my skis too much to try to ride here. ?

zelseman

Observer
It was time for some groceries and some beach time, so we made plans to leave out of the ranch to the North and camp at Mike's Sky Ranch, then head to San Felipe the next day for some sun. The road between us and Mike's had been described as rough, challenging, and downright miserable, so we were a bit apprehensive. The road did not disappoint and it took us around 2 hours to travel around 20KM to Mikes.

IMG_9127.jpg

IMG_9129.jpg

We made it to Las Trucas at the bottom of the hill which meant we were getting really close to Mike's.

IMG_9130.jpg

We got into Mike's at sunset and paid for our campspot. We were one of three or four other rigs there at dark...which was soon to change. Between dark and 2AM over 100 rigs rolled into Mike's. Must have been some kind of rally or group ride, because the next morning the river bank was full. The music, yelling, and general party carried on into the wee hours and started again around 6AM. I don't think we will be giving any more money to Mike's Sky Ranch in the future, but it was cool to see once.

IMG_9140.jpg

Either way, we made it down the mountain and were greeted by sunshine for the first time in about a week while leaving Mike's and turning on the HWY toward San Felipe.

IMG_9142.jpg

As we dropped in elevation to the coast the temperature rose by the minute it seemed. As we could see the coast on our turn South it was a pleasant 60 degrees, much better than the 40's we had in the mountains the previous week.

We grabbed some groceries and fish in town and took off for beach camping. There isn't a bunch of wild camping around San Felipe so we opted for Campo Touristico #1 and found a spot out on the end of the palapas. This spot was really cool as it is where the Mexican government is trying to breed an endangered breed of dolphin in the enclosure just off shore. Federali's walked the beach each day and helicopters and boats drove by often. There are less the 20 of the dolphins left on the planet, crazy!

Blog Post on Campo Touristico

IMG_0153.jpg

IMG_9177.jpg

IMG_9166.jpg

IMG_9168.jpg

We had 20-30 mph winds on the beach the first night and didn't get much sleep and used the next day to resupply for a couple of weeks and gas up for the drive back up the hill. The weather on the coast is so different from the stuff in the mountains it's crazy. At our campspot we were only 20 miles from the ranch as the crow flies, just over the mountains and down 5000 feet of elevation. We loaded back up after a restless couple of days and far too many fish tacos and headed back to our temporary home.

The road back is more difficult going up than coming down, which was expected. But 4-LO in the Toyota made pretty simple work of the road with only a few sketchy moments. We climbed, climbed, and climbed and arrived back at the ranch just in time for the rain to start,...again.

IMG_9178.jpg

IMG_9182.jpg

It was a fun trip, but I don't think we will be taking the road again. We will likely go to San Felipe before we leave in April, but we will be heading to the East side and going around. We would be SOL if something were to break on the side of the hill. It's a crazy hike either direction and I'd rather not have to hi-lift our truck on the side of a mountain quite like that.

zelseman

Observer

jls4

Love this build. So simple but so nice.

Are you concerned at all about the threads on the camp stove with the weight of the bottle hanging off the side?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior