1986 GMC S-15

1stDeuce

Explorer
Thanks for keeping us up to date!! Everythign looks great. I have about zero faith in any newer aftermarket CV boot. They're all made of cheap rubber of some sort that cracks after it's a year or so old. Hard to find a CV brand that uses good boots anymore. :(

Word to the wise on that XJ setup... That style link system turns the OE 4 link into a swingarm setup of sorts by mounting the upper control link to the lower instead of back to the frame. This type of arrangement is known for ripping the pass UCA bracket off a D30 axle, particularly on vehicles that see a lot of articulation, like rock crawling. This is because any time you articulate the front suspension, the two links being at differnt angles is trying to twist the axle tube. If you have nice soft bushings at all the axle mount locations, it can work, but it's still tough on bushings and brackets... DO NOT replace those rubber bushings with Poly, or with any sort of "joint" or you WILL rip the pass side UCA bracket off the axle fairly quickly. A heavier bracket is not the answer, the answer is keeping soft bushings, or going back to true 4-link...

For what you are doing, I can see the attraction of that setup, just be sure to keep softer bushings in the axle and all the links that attach to the axle. They only place you can run a stiffer bushing is where the lower link connects to the frame.
Good luck!!!

Andrew_S

Observer
Thanks for keeping us up to date!! Everythign looks great. I have about zero faith in any newer aftermarket CV boot. They're all made of cheap rubber of some sort that cracks after it's a year or so old. Hard to find a CV brand that uses good boots anymore. :(

Word to the wise on that XJ setup... That style link system turns the OE 4 link into a swingarm setup of sorts by mounting the upper control link to the lower instead of back to the frame. This type of arrangement is known for ripping the pass UCA bracket off a D30 axle, particularly on vehicles that see a lot of articulation, like rock crawling. This is because any time you articulate the front suspension, the two links being at differnt angles is trying to twist the axle tube. If you have nice soft bushings at all the axle mount locations, it can work, but it's still tough on bushings and brackets... DO NOT replace those rubber bushings with Poly, or with any sort of "joint" or you WILL rip the pass side UCA bracket off the axle fairly quickly. A heavier bracket is not the answer, the answer is keeping soft bushings, or going back to true 4-link...

For what you are doing, I can see the attraction of that setup, just be sure to keep softer bushings in the axle and all the links that attach to the axle. They only place you can run a stiffer bushing is where the lower link connects to the frame.
Good luck!!!

Apparently they make a cv boot treatment spray to prolong the life but I rather just replace them and ********** about it haha.

I hear you on the radius arm set up. If I was building something for do any serious offroading/articulation I would go with a 3 link. This is just the easy road. The axle is getting trussed and will bind/ruin bushings before it ever does any damage to the axle. The axle side will remain clevite bushings, just new ones. The frame side is getting the upgraded flex joints over the acme threads that it came with.
Appreciate the input & suggestions.

Got everything painted it up nicely.

Made up some plates to get the D30 to work with the case spreader

Picked up the heads from the machine shop, took them back again because they failed leak-down testing... Failed again, and now they are at another machine shop for analysis.

Just getting back from another great 6 day trip. Here are some pics:

Adams lake

Spent 2 nights on tumtum lake

We've both taken on heavier work loads/stress levels at work and this was a much needed break for both of us.

We were picking blue berries near camp when I ran into a bear about 60m away and had a handful of berries... Luckily it wasn't hungry,

Camp set up

Andrew_S

Observer
Morning coffee taking in the view

Exploring the lake

Beautiful lake with water that changed colours in different areas of sediment clouds

Paddled through this great looking wetland at the north end

Went for a swim on this beautiful sandbar at the mouth of the river

Explored some of the mature forest

Last night on tumtum,

We quickly found out there was only one way in and out of this lake

Spotted another bear on our ride out

Next stop, Adams lake east side.

Andrew_S

Observer
This little green toad hung out in this dowel hole the entire time we stayed here.

Fishing Adams,

No luck but a beauty evening

Exploring Momich provincial park again. We were here 2 years ago a few weeks before it completely burnt.

Paddling the creek into Momich

One of the nicest small lake beaches

Picking berries in albas park

Next stop Shuswap Seymour arm,

Moose steaks and mash potatoes for dinner on the beach.

Next morning views from camp

Albas falls

Breakfast views

Harvested some Combs tooth for dinner

Onyx falls to cool down

Finished the trip with a swim in Fintry creek

Very memorableand relaxing trip. Can't wait for the next one.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Wife and I went to Iceland in June this year, and we'll be going again in 2024. In 2023, we'll be coming up to your back yard and hanging out for a couple of weeks, also in June. A bit early, but we escape the month of gnats that plague this place every June.

Thanks so much for keeping this thread up and taking us along on your travels! You and your wife are truly inspirations to so many of us!! From the outside looking in, it certainly appears that you are living the dream!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeronaut