I made the mistake of saying, "oh blue sky, lets go for a paddle" the fair weather didn't last long.
On our way home approx 15km's from asphalt road we decided to bypass a "road closed due to falling debris hazards" sign. This was a mistake...
I thought we might be able to push through and cut a few trees.
After 2 hours we made it roughly 5km. I literally resorted to walking the road with the chain saw and cutting/clearing trees while kicking huge rock/boulders off the road.
Our spirits were low and then we hit this nice little mud slide. At 2-3' thick and chocked full of large sharp rock, it was a stop point for us.
This resulted in a 2 1/2 detour back the way we came and an additional 100kmish of bush roads. Thankful we had the fuel to do it.
We made a point to leave an additional note on the sign "Seriously road closed, we made it 5km, good luck."
At least we went home with some treasures, likely 50lbs + of morels in the bed of the truck.
We've got one more weekend before the wife leaves for a month. After that I have some fairly lofty goals in mind while she is away.
I would love to know when it happened because I didn't notice it in the ride at all.
Started on the repairs, started on the pinion seal and quickly spiralled.
Driveshaft had a tiny amount of slop, pulled it out and the rear u-joint felt a bit crusty.
Oh yup, that'll do it...
The front joint had minor play, not nearly as bad as the rears. Can't believe how tight the driveshaft was considering the condition of these needle bearings.
Atleast the driveshaft is straight.
Replaced the pinion yoke with a better used one. My old one had some pretty deep groves in it.
same thing with the slip yoke, the old one (rear of the photo) was super pitted and eating seals.
Ready to go back together with some nice SKF u-joints.
20 mins later and I still have to bang in the pinion seal.
Cleaned out the rear rims at the same time, can't imagine these were terribly well balanced
Diff topped up, t-case topped up and a sip for the trans as well.
Test drive and it's mint again. Wife wanted to go logging, would love to see some other campers stack 4-500lbs of wood like this.
Pulled the front tires and greased the front end this evening. I've got to stop looking at this thing, every time I do something else is broken.
This is the 6th CV in 3 years? Garbage parts. I'm hard on stuff but this is stupid. All the more motivation to finish collecting parts for the axle swap.
Pretty well everything I need to set up the diffs aside from a press.
Transfer punches sure are a nice tool to have.
Just like that 5x4.5 to 5x4.75 bolt pattern on the 8.8 axles, only need the final drill size now.
One more big piece of the puzzle for the solid axle swap. Rustys long arm kit for an XJ. There was no way I could justify the new price of this kit plus shipping, duties & taxes. It was over 2k. I picked this up used for 1/4 of the price. After a quick sandblast, some paint and some new bushings, it'll be mint.
The list of parts remaining is getting much smaller.