1986 Diesel Trooper Thoughts and ideas?

lionsbreath

Adventurer
Ok at a local tire shop I found a 2 door 1986 Isuzu Trooper Diesel 5 speed for $500. The truck is in great shape inside and out but the motor is siezed up and the owner has no idea why. I thought it might make a fun project. Major queston is parts to rebuild the engine and after market for it after it is up and running. Now I have always had and worked on Toyotas and love them! I think the Trooper could be a good low budget expo build. Comments and Ideas please. By the way someone has pulled all the injectors out for some reason already and the are laying in the back. Should I invest in it?

Last edited:

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Go sign up on PlanetIsuzoo.com and ask the same question. You will likely get a fast response. I don't know much about the diesels myself but several of the lads over there do. I do however know that 1st gen diesel Troops are quite desirable to some.

$500? You can't go wrong. :victory:

Bart

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
My uncle had nearly that same truck for years... he still might have it. Great truck. All the load capacity of the Trooper's HUGE body, plus a great little Turbo Diesel. Don't know much about parts, but I'll ask him the next time I speak with him what he did, where he got parts and what happened to that little rig.

Cheers

Dave

MNDodge

Observer
I had an 89 Trooper w/ the pos chev 2.8V6. That thing was a beast. It had full skidplates that were about 1/4" thick. I wheeled the crap out of that thing till the engine threw a rod. The body had a few spots that always rusted out and the engine sucked, otherwise indestructable. Wish I still had it. I'd say go for it, if the engine is toast throw in small diesel or a 4.3 V6. :smiley_drive:

larrynsr

They are good trucks...not much power though. Early models had weak con rods and would break if over revved. Later ones had revised stronger con rods (One way to find out is if the truck has a oil breather separator tank located under the hood near the passenger side). Be sure to put a EGT gauge on it, as many died a early death due to being pushed too hard (up hills, or over revving). Timing belts are also a weak point on these engines. If not changed every 60k or so, the belt would brake and the pistons would hit the valves. Everything is beefy and fairly easy to work on. Me and my dad had two of them, a 2 door and a 4 door. Very nice for family and carrying things, as the rear seat folds down. We changed oil and filter every 2000 miles, let it warm up and cool down (good for turbo), never over rev, and they last a long time! Good trucks!

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
if the engine is toast throw in small diesel or a 4.3 V6. :smiley_drive:
A 4.3 would be awesome, but the 3.4 is a much more straightforward swap. There's loads of info out there on the 2.8 > 3.4 conversion. I just finished my swap last month and I'm lovin' it. :victory:

Bart

taylorRichie

Adventurer
Bart... what are you doing here? :D

I didn't know you did a diesel swap on your trooper...

You need to be the guinea pig for doing the VX too...

I've been building my VX for Vehicle dependent travel now. Been a lot of fun...

------------------ END HIJACK -------------------------------

$500... well well worth it... even if it is toast IMO

nfpgasmask

Adventurer
Hey Richie! Where you been? I didn't do a diesel swap, but I swapped the GM 2.8 to a 3.4.

I have a lot of plans for my VX, things are going good but slower than I want of course. Money is always a factor I guess.

I'm hoping to have the truck done by spring just in time for the camping season.

Bart

reran

So, what happened to the diesel Trooper? Did you buy it? Best resource for info on the diesel would be Jerry Lemond on www.isuzupup.com or www.planetisuzoo.com. His user name is JLEMOND on either site. If you passed on the Trooper, do you know if it's still available? Thanks.

Leland

lionsbreath

Adventurer
nope went back to ge it and it was long gone. oh well on to the hunt for my next project . but thanks for the imput guys!:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94