1985 Unimog in Vancouver, BC

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
Says the title is "rebuilt" - wonder how that gets handled when importing a vehicle?

Looks like it has a pass thru with a door that closes it off - nice.

One of the photos looks like it includes the cabin builder's information - but its very small.

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
Yep, I couldn't see who did the build either, not enough detail. God only knows what "rebuilt" means. I sent an email off, guess we'll see!

DieselFreak

Adventurer
Yep, I couldn't see who did the build either, not enough detail. God only knows what "rebuilt" means. I sent an email off, guess we'll see!

A "rebuilt" title means at one time, the vehicle was wrecked or damaged beyond the point of repair by an insurance company and deemed a total loss. They paid out on it and the title was branded.

Somebody (possibly the seller or builder) bought the wrecked/damaged MOG from the insurance company or at an auction and fixed the damage. Once it is repaired and passes any required inspection(s) it will be issued a rebuilt title.

I personally would not buy anything with a rebuilt title, as there can be underlying problems and difficulty finding an insurance company which will insure it for it's full value. With that said, I have known people who have purchased Salvaged and Rebuilt vehicles for cheap and have been happy with them.

Kuzya

wow... that thing looks awesome, and at an awesome price... I personally have had a few "rebuilt" title cars and have never had an issue getting full coverage insurance with state farm and safeco. The only problem I have run into is that most banks won't finance rebuilt titles, but most credit unions will finance up to 75% of blue book trade in value. All of the rigs that I've bought and sold with branded titles never had any frame damage and only required exterior skin parts, there was no way that there was even 30% of the car damaged, most of the time its an insurance game where the owner just wants to get a higher payoff and gets the most expensive shop to write an estimate, which forces the insurance to pay them off on it and auction off the car to recoup loss, that forces them to brand the title as they can't just auction it off clean.
I think that If someone is interested in buying a salvage, take it to a dealership or a reputable shop and have it completely inspected... it will be money well spent and you'll have a peace of heart...
just my 2 cents...

Czechsix

Agreed that's what rebuilt MIGHT mean...but that ad isn't exactly full of information. It could also easily mean rebuilt componentry. IAC, I'm starting to sniff a scam on this, but we'll see. The seller did get in contact with me, and hopefully more information will be forthcoming. So far it has a bit of the scam smell to it......

SkeenaH

Yeah at that price I was suspicious too, which is why I said not mine!
Truth would come out in a viewing I expect.

KirkL

Agreed that's what rebuilt MIGHT mean...but that ad isn't exactly full of information. It could also easily mean rebuilt componentry. IAC, I'm starting to sniff a scam on this, but we'll see. The seller did get in contact with me, and hopefully more information will be forthcoming. So far it has a bit of the scam smell to it......

My first impression on that was that it looked pretty scammy. Even if the Mog has a salvage title, the camper shell alone looks like it could sell for more than the asking price.

Czechsix

Got a reply from the seller....this might turn out to be really entertaining.

I'm checking with an old contact of mine in the mog world to see who owns this truck. If it is a scam, I'm going to have lots of fun with it. And I'd upgrade it from "pretty scammy" to..."oh yeah, pretty definitely scam" :coffee:

Yukondoit

Hell of a deal! I looked at one this winter on Vancouver Island for 60,000 and its very similar (without the salvage title).

One thing of note, and I don't know how closely people are when entering their location upon writing a craigslist add, is that there is very little chance that truck is located at Granville and Drake in Vancouver. Not a lot of above ground long term parking in that location let alone underground parking that would accommodate a vehicle such as this.

Fish78

Observer
The first pic showing the campground setting looks like it was taken in Europe, lots of euro-campers visible in the background. Scammy. If anyone in Canada was really selling this thing, I'd expect a plethora of pictures from the PNW in the listing.

pattersonimages

Adventurer
Island Mog

Did you look at Heinz's? the raised roof one near Victoria?

Hell of a deal! I looked at one this winter on Vancouver Island for 60,000 and its very similar (without the salvage title).

One thing of note, and I don't know how closely people are when entering their location upon writing a craigslist add, is that there is very little chance that truck is located at Granville and Drake in Vancouver. Not a lot of above ground long term parking in that location let alone underground parking that would accommodate a vehicle such as this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94