1985 E150 4x4 Adventure

Ari3sgr3gg0

Active member
Found a great deal on a 4x4 van, packing a carbed 351, AOD or E4OD(haven't dug into it), and sitting on half ton axles. Haven't gotten to explore it much but figured I'd post pics of day 1 how it sits and then get some fresh pictures so that I can always keep track of the progress. Plus if people comment on it enough then my motivation keeps up for wanting to do more to it.Van Side Day 1.jpgVan Clean Side Day 1.jpgVan Front Day 1.jpgVan Rear Day 1.jpgVan Side Doors Open Day 1.jpgVan Front To Back Day 1.jpgVan Rear to Front Day 1.jpgVan Side Day 1.jpgVan Clean Side Day 1.jpgVan Front Day 1.jpgVan Rear Day 1.jpgVan Side Doors Open Day 1.jpgVan Front To Back Day 1.jpgVan Rear to Front Day 1.jpg
 

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Looks like a good start. 1985 is a few years too early for the E4OD. Being an electronic trans, they never came behind non-injected engines. It would be more likely that you have a C6 behind a 351 as the AOD was light duty and mostly installed with 302s but considering all the other modifications done, anything is possible.

Post pics of the front suspension when you can.
 
Looking forward to seeing it come together, definitely a good starting place with conversion done. I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts and plan of attack on what you are going to do/want to do with it.
 

Ari3sgr3gg0

Active member
Looking forward to seeing it come together, definitely a good starting place with conversion done. I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts and plan of attack on what you are going to do/want to do with it.
It's going to be a modular family hauler, want to put in benches that can be taken out quickly for when it is just a trip with my wife and I. First priorities are getting it all cleaned up and go through things so that I feel comfortable taking it on a couple hour drive. So far it will be limited to town only duties for a bit. Long term, diesel swap using a donor IDI van or truck that I have yet to find. Upgrade the axles so that I have 3/4 or 1 ton under it. Likely going to add a fresh water tank and propane as well. I just got it back home tonight so nothing to be done for it today.
 

Ari3sgr3gg0

Active member
Here's some pictures of the front spring mounts, front axle, rear axle, transfer case, and passenger side of transmission.Front Axle Day 1.jpgBack of Front Axle Day 1.jpgBack of Rear Axle Day 1.jpgFront of Rear Axle Day 1.jpgPassenger Transmission Side Day 1.jpgTransfercase Day 1.jpgSpring Hanger Day 1.jpg
 

Ari3sgr3gg0

Active member
Did a little prettying up under the hood with the little day light and time I was allotted. Added a little Edelbrock air cleaner since there was nothing on the carb at all, I think this van will really appreciate it if I add in some fresh gas and cleaner. Look at the color of the fuel in the filter before I rerouted the line higherAir Cleaner Added.jpgFuel Filter by Upper Radiator Hose.jpg
 

Ari3sgr3gg0

Active member
Did some tire mounting and AOD shift rod adjusting today. Went from shifting like utter garbage to shifting like a luxury Lincoln. I'm going to need to adjust it so that it is just a little more firm. After I get some hesitation issues solved and a little extra budget I'll likely start shopping for 33" tires to replace the new 31" tires that just went on.Tire Tread.jpgNew Tires 31.jpg
 

Ari3sgr3gg0

Active member
I'll have to update this thread as actively as my other one. Been doing tons of work on the van. Finally bit the bullet and ended up getting an Apex Badlands winch from Harbor Freight. Have the front bumper removed for now so that I can have my winch on. Was planning on drilling and bolting a hitch on but once pieces were in hand it just didn't work out. Had to weld on my hitch mount instead. Not being a professional my beads are definitely amateur but after some paint touch up it will do. Penetration was good for it and it seems very solid. I still might do some additional passes when weather cools down just so that it is overbuilt. Once I get it more organized I'll post some additional pictures of all the big changes that have happened. AC and functioning gas gauge are my next critical projects that will have to occur.IMG_20210531_161825180_HDR.jpgIMG_20210601_171454573_HDR.jpgIMG_20210601_171602700_HDR.jpg
 

Ari3sgr3gg0

Active member
So I ended up chasing wires too far down a rabbit hole and interior ended up being much more torn out than intended. More to come since sound deadening and insulation will happenIMG_20210605_172539137_HDR.jpgIMG_20210605_172555284_HDR.jpgIMG_20210605_172725444.jpg
 
Top