1984 Skamper

85_Ranger4x4

A quick update, using my oscillating cutter I cut along the top of the channel and removed the inside half of the ply wood above that.

Then I went back and made a few passes between the two sheets of plywood to get some wiggle roof for the bottom if the board stuck in the channel.

From there the channel worked off pretty easy.

I picked up a putty knife I can tap on to try to get the skin separated from the remaining board, just haven't gotten back to it.

I was planning on replacing all the boards just so it is done. What is making this hard is the boards basically have no rot, the bolts just pulled thru. I am going to re-evaluate the other three to see if they really need replaced.

85_Ranger4x4

The ends were pretty soggy but most of it was perfect.

Puttyknife worked great to get the skin off.

I went around the camper, LH side board looks fine as does the front one. RH is soft and I can almost pull it apart in places so I will replace it too. Going to hold off on the front unless I see something I don't like when I replace the RH side.

Zmanfj40

How's the project going? I'm replacing the rear board where the HECO mounts are and ALL the ceiling components due to leaking and rot. I've removed the roof and it lays inverted on my shop floor. I've cut the replacement plywood and have the foam board. I plan on reinforcing the rear HECO mounting with diamond plate, and upgrading the lighting to LED. I have not been able to decide what to use for the exterior ceiling. FRP, Veneer, or just a liner.
225a77f1b15b36287b4b189acccbeab1.jpg
245a8e485369db3a67e2b9b622bb606b.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

It's been going pretty good. I had a big push to get it ready for a car show then backed down at the last minute because they were talking hail the night before (my truck can't fit inside with the camper in the back) so right now now it just needs the roof caulked. After the car show I shifted gears to get the truck ready for a trip and I have just kind of taken a week off before I get back to the camper.

To catch up I replaced the board on the RH side too:

This is what holds the roof on at the front when it is popped up...

Started trying to get the clearance lights to work (because since I will never use them it is pretty important)

I found some LED ones that look like the originals on ebay. I needed a front amber and a rear red one but I had new amber covers and needed more red so I just ordered two reds thinking I could just swap covers. Well that worked splendidly.

Nope, they are red on the inside too.

Last edited:

Zmanfj40

I took out the rear board tonight and will be replacing only that for the sides. It's just the most structurally important piece since it carries the load of the torque on the lift mechanism. The hardest part is trying not to destroy the corner caps which replacements don't exist anymore.
Those screws look like you should replace them maybe! Lol!
1b69da580e7097da8c472d5a54f51d1d.jpg
d61aa8c8e9b5b71a7f42d03f923c59c9.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

I took out the rear board tonight and will be replacing only that for the sides. It's just the most structurally important piece since it carries the load of the torque on the lift mechanism. The hardest part is trying not to destroy the corner caps which replacements don't exist anymore.
Those screws look like you should replace them maybe! Lol!
1b69da580e7097da8c472d5a54f51d1d.jpg
d61aa8c8e9b5b71a7f42d03f923c59c9.jpg

All the side boards are important when you think about it.

Rear obviously sees a lot of stress from the torsion bars. The rear of the sides do too. And those eaten up screws in that 90* bracket... that is what holds the front of the roof up when it is popped up. Those (and the board they are screwed to) are kind of important too.

And of course the front has to stand strong to keep the whole thing from blowing up like a balloon and popping while going down the highway... not a pretty picture when that board gives out, probably the most important one of the bunch.

Yeah the back board goes soft, the lift gets all wonky and a guy has to fix it. If the front board gives out and the camper turns itself inside out... kinda hard to come back from that.

Zmanfj40

For the interior ceiling panels I used a HD plastic panel, not the FRP ones. Has a light knockdown texture
I ended up buying luan sheets with vinyl adhered to it. My son was able to get them from his work that sells specialty wood products.

85_Ranger4x4

Getting all fancy now and trying to get the heater to work. Pilot works great, fan runs... But no make hot.

Any ideas?

Also anyone else have pictures of the setup of the hose with the propane tank? When stowed mine has a hard kink in it.

*when testing the heater I have the tank on a stand so the hose isn't kinked, all three burners on the stove run great at the same time. One will barely limp along with the tank stored.

Chorky

Observer
I fired up the laptop and hit google and had better results on here finding out how the electrical system is supposed to work.

I would suspect the sail switch. those things have a limited lifespan. Mine just died - right as temps got to the 20's last night. Terrible timing. I'm not sure if there is a good way to test it though other than just replacement.

Chorky

Observer
Getting all fancy now and trying to get the heater to work. Pilot works great, fan runs... But no make hot.

Any ideas?

Also anyone else have pictures of the setup of the hose with the propane tank? When stowed mine has a hard kink in it.

*when testing the heater I have the tank on a stand so the hose isn't kinked, all three burners on the stove run great at the same time. One will barely limp along with the tank stored.

the kink is probably causing some restriction of gas. I know when I had my 250 gal propane tank placed for the trailer I used a bunch of fittings so it could be quick connected to the rest of the trailer and gen at the same time. Somehow it's caused reduced gas flow even though PSI is the same, so I too have one burner that acts up a tad from time to time. Another thing to do is remove the hose, and let it drain. Sometimes you can get a bad batch of LP with a bunch of oil in it. that oil can plug orfices and its a real pain to get them clean again.

85_Ranger4x4

Well we did get the Skamper sneaked out on her maiden voyage. Last weekend was the last weekend before they shut down the bathhouses at the local state park so we barely made it under the wire. Campground had a decent crowd, probably about half full, we were off on the end almost in the tent section so we didn't have to to listen to music and whatever.

I thought I would be clever so I backed up past where I wanted to be and drove downhill up onto the blocks. After I shut the truck off it halfway rolled ahead off the blocks. So we fires it back up and the neighbors come out to watch. Go to back up over the blocks in low reverse, spins both rears a tad but we get back up.

And then we wait for momma to get off work so I can get my other truck.

The little porch light... it don't mess around.

Pork chops for supper!

Cleared off later on.

The dog situation... needed work the first night

Little one has to get it in bed with ya and the big one apparently doesn't like sleeping on linoleum (which he usually seeks out)... so they both kept trying to jump the fence and crash with little guy in the middle of the night which scared him which therefore scared the whole campground. Eventually at 6 they both got throwed in the car.

With the bottom bunk deployed there isn't much room for big brown dog to do much of anything. Probably cold down there too. Wasn't sure what to do about it though aside from leave him at home.

Since the heater is on the fritz I had my wife snag the space heater I got her for work. Kinda scared me so I just set it on the stove, it cycled on and off and kept the camper in the high 60's all night. At 7:15am my F-150 had ice on the windshield and said 37*.

It was comfortable, of course I was up against the front canvas and there is a pretty good chill coming off that, it wasn't enough to bother.

Now way in heck we would have been this comfortable in a tent. Granted the dogs would have more room and thus the toddler would have fewer panic attacks but the fact of the matter is we just wouldn't have gone. Camper is much faster to get setup (not counting putting it in the truck lol)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94