1984 Skamper

85_Ranger4x4

An online friend has one in his garage he thinks I need. Supposed to fit in the back of a longbed Ranger with the tailgate shut. Says it is in really good shape but it does have a issue with the roof structure that needs repaired, has been stored inside. Going by googling compact truck sized campers I am guessing it is a 072S, he is getting me pictures of it. Kinda neat in that is about the same age as my truck... being mainly a basecamping tent camper I don't know about saddling my truck down with a camper though...

Searching on here I have seen some vague references on here of these things having roof issues, any more info? What is the problem and how to fix? What is one with roof issues he thought was repairable worth?

Also, how hard to put on and take off? My truck won't fit in the garage wearing this thing...

Brochure says about 1000# loaded for the 072S ("loaded" is pretty vague...) Anyone been around one in a Ranger on the road? Add a lot of topweight or is most of the heft down low? AKA is it going to be a worthess tippy thing on a trail with this thing in the back? Mine is a little stouter/wider than stock in the rear, I really don't want to deal with airbags though...

Assuming the table makes into a bed, if so how big is it?

I have never really minded my ground tent but a sink/kitchen would be kinda nice...

I did find this:

Looks like the same model as mine. Did you end up getting it? This guy fixed a bad Skamper roof and has some good info and photos to show for it.

I do not find that my truck feels "top heavy" with the Skamper. But I don't do trails with it.

85_Ranger4x4

Looks like the same model as mine. Did you end up getting it? This guy fixed a bad Skamper roof and has some good info and photos to show for it.

I do not find that my truck feels "top heavy" with the Skamper. But I don't do trails with it.

I have not... yet. It is a ways away so we are going to make a mini road trip out of it over the fourth. I am going to push the easy button and cram it in my F-150 to just get it home. I won't have to worry about any ill handling and I can figure out how my Ranger will handle it on my own turf rather than two states away.

I did find that thread, the roof upside down on the floor looks pretty simple and put my mind at ease. Sounds like it just needs the 2x4 across the back replaced... maybe more once I open it up who knows. The ceiling looks nice in pictures though and he says no water damage to the inside.

I am not figuring on doing trails with this one. Not much for trails around here and the ones I run when abroad seem to be made mostly by Jeeps which are the same width as my base truck... I really don't want to be dragging the camper thru trees if I don't have to.

Did you do anything different with the springs on yours? Seems like a lot of people go to helpers or airbags.

I am pretty excited about it... it should be a neat period correct combo when they come together.

Could add a sway bar, maybe off a junk yard explorer.

If some freaking idiot could have seen into the future before he cut the sway bar brackets off of his Explorer axle before he swapped it in 8 years ago that would be a really good option... it is nearly a bolt in thing to the truck. I know I even got the bar with the axle but I am pretty sure it got scrapped when I stripped the axle before I installed it.

I did snag the generic 5/8” rear sway bar from a third gen this past weekend though, I actually started taking it apart today so I can throw some paint at it before I put it on the truck. It isn't the best one out there but it is all a 89-11 Ranger had. 83-88 had a 3/4" swaybar, 2wd Bronco II's had a 1". All are interchangeable... only one is easy to find.

85_Ranger4x4

I found and downloaded a manual on it. It does not have the optional refrigerator or house battery.

A fridge would be nice... but for what I am doing lighter weight isn't a bad thing either. Battery... could be added but I don't see this thing going too far from a formal campground. We shall see how that develops.

85_Ranger4x4

You may need to build a base for it to sit on in the 150. Tie downs? Dunnage?

Yup. According to my calculations I will need 7" of shim to clear my F-150's roof by an inch. I am thinking pallets for a quick and easy solution, probably double stacked for added clearance because an inch is kind tight. The one I have here at work measures 5" thick, I need to measure the three I have at home yet.

Seller is including two stake pocket tie downs that he made for his '93 Ranger. They look too narrow for my F-150's bedrail so at least for this operation I am planning on not using them. I have been scouring marketplace and craigslist for used as they seem to go for about half the price of new ($50 vs $100) but if nothing turns up local I will just get a set of new ones.

I know how big of turnbuckles he used on it before but not knowing how factory made tie downs compare to his homebrew ones and knowing that my bed is wider than his I don't think I will know how that will shake out until the thing is in my truck.

I have already incorporated rear mounts in the bumper I am building for my Ranger. I have building sliders on the list and I think it would be easy to incorporate forward mounts that brace off the front of the bed into the design of those for a long term solution for that truck.

For the F-150... I don't know how much I would use it in that truck yet for long term. If I could get a newer Supercrew 6.5' bed I would probably look into frame mounts and build a drawer to go under the camper since it would open up a lot more options with the whole family able to travel in the truck.

I will also have to add shim between the jacks and the mounts, inspired by this guy:

I won't need to go that wide though since my F-150 is narrower than a Super Duty.

I know it is ugly, I know the camper is too long... but it is to scale in all the important places. I have been trying to do as much calculating as I can here at home so I don't get out there and "crap, this ain't gonna work"

85_Ranger4x4

I REALLY need to get the rest of the brackets to get my sway bar on the truck, I took it for a quick spin and it was super sketchy on the highway. Power was fine at speed though. I have the bar and end links, I need to get the axle clamps off of a F-150 to fit my 31 spline 8.8 though.

To do:
1. Fix the roof, it will probably be a winter project.
2. Clean it out/up. Needs a good bath inside and out. There is a little mildew on the inside of the canvas at the front and I plastered the front with bugs driving across two states (Illinois and Iowa) with it. Stove and the ice box are not really bad but do need cleaned.
3. Bunch of little crap. Porch light needs a new switch, I played with it a little last night and got the red clearance lights to work but the front amber lights don't have power for some reason. Also need to make a pigtail that will connect the campers uniquely wired flat four connector to the trucks 7 pin RV connector (and run a 12v power wire on the Ranger)
4. Figure out a step. He used a hitch hauler and I think that would be a decent starting point.

Did some cleaning on the interior:

VERY elaborate electrical system

Replaced the shore power electrical hatch cover

And replaced the switch and rebuilt the socket for the porch light

As it sits right now (tarp is for barn swallow poop)

I really can't wait to get this thing out and start using it

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Not much for progress but it is progress...

For those that have rebuilt these popup roofs before, what did you use for glue to glue the two sheets of 1/2" plywood together? And to glue the plywood to the roof skin?

kerry

Expedition Leader
What part of the roof are you replacing. Be careful if you are releasing the back corner lifting brackets, there is a torsion bar inside those tubes. What exactly is the problem with the roof?

85_Ranger4x4

The boards around the perimeter. This is the back right corner:

They are just dry rotted. As of right now with it all together the front board looks OK, I ripped enough plywood to replace it all though.

I have found directions on how to disconnect the lift mechanism. Just we are not exactly gluing together a coffee table for what glue to use...

For those that haven't delved into this yet the factory plywood is 1" thick, you cannot buy 1" thick plywood though. You can also not buy it in 10'+ lengths so the sides have to be spliced together. Well I guess you might be able to get 1" thick 12" long sheets somewhere but it is not commonly available. I have researched that this is the common method.

This guy used heavy duty liquid nails for his (some pics of the structure too)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles