1984 LC for $2,000 +/-? Should I buy it?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
More info:
VIN# JT3FJ60G8E1112929
Rebuilt engine Sep 2000
Installed rebuilt smog pump Aug 2005
Rebuilt carb Mar 2005
Smog cert Jun 2006

CA-RJ

Expo Approved™
Make sure you drive it around for at least 30 minutes before you go to the test station.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Mud is your friend..
Check out the FAQ's on the 60 series.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/13183-fj60-fj62-faq-start-here-come-back-often.html

I'd be there when he smogs it so you know for sure that it passes with no funny business. This could come back to haunt you next year or the year after depending on the smog rotation. On the MUD site there are constant threads with people having smog issues here in CA especially on the 60's Not smoged since 2006 = BIG RED FLAG.

To me owning a land cruiser is a thing you really need to want to do. I'm still having a love affair with mine after ten years of ownership, but mine was in absolutely pristine running condition when I got it and mostly bone stock. It has remained incredibly reliable since day one. I'm the third owner. If I had bought one that was having lots of mechanical issues I would have sold it long ago and gotten something that ran good.

Just be sure it's something you really want.

Why are you interested in an old land cruiser anyway? Not thinking of trading in the taco are you? If so I'd ask you to remember what happened to another forum member that traded from a later model taco to a high mileage cruiser. The headaches were never ending.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Not EVEN considering selling the Taco, just looking at an opportunity to add a Cruiser to the stable for fun and maybe as a DD for my son in a couple years. Can you imagine this as a first truck? ;)

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Not EVEN considering selling the Taco, just looking at an opportunity to add a Cruiser to the stable for fun and maybe as a DD for my son in a couple years. Can you imagine this as a first truck? ;)

That's a relief.. I knew you were smarter than that.

I'd consider getting him a 4runner. Newer, maybe more reliable, better braking, ect.. Unless he is really into the land cruiser thing, and then go for it.

My opinion is that the older land cruisers need to go to enthusiasts to keep the breed alive.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Not thinking of trading in the taco are you? If so I'd ask you to remember what happened to another forum member that traded from a later model taco to a high mileage cruiser. The headaches were never ending.

Lol, there certainly were many lessons to be learned in THAT saga...

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
If it doesn't pass smog but seems to run decent please let some of us have a crack at it..would love to get my son into a Cruiser.
Getting it from Socal to Az wouldn't be too bad.
Thanks

Willman

Nice Dave!

I sure love my 60 for a DD!

Anyways.....So does it have a 5 speed??

:drool:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles