1983 toyota 4wd

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
.. I am hoping this little truck will last for years. I have to sell my current 2004 tacoma to get this one. It will be my main truck for a good 2 years. Its hard to part with that tacoma,but this 1983, is perfect.
:confused: it's already lasted 32. How many more do you think it has in it?
If you were buying this as a collector, a toy, or a 2nd vehicle, I'd say go for it. You didn't say how much you were paying but I'll bet it's a lot.
Have you ever driven a truck this old or owned one before? Don't let the romantic hype about 'the good old days' sway what ought to be a rational decision. Vehicles have improved a lot in the last 32 years. You probably don't even realize how much until you drive an old truck like this one. At the end of the day it's still a 32 year old truck with all that entails.
BTW, AC could very well suck the life out of what little power that 22r produces. My DD is a 96 Ranger (Mazda B2300) and I can definitely feel the difference between AC and no AC. The thing will barely get out of its own way with the AC running - that's why when I switch off the AC it feels like a "turbo boost!" But since it's my little "city car", I don't mind the loss of power. It's not like I'm driving very fast or very far anyway.
Incidentally your 2004 is probably destined to be a 'classic' of its own, being the last of the 1st gen Tacomas. I had a 2004 and loved it. I would still have it if it wasn't for the fact that I need an SUV.

Expedition Leader
My question is, I would use the the truck as a daily driver and some trips, LA to SF, down to baja on some surf trip. Any thoughts or personal experience would be really appreciated. I have to act fast if I want it.

Thanks...

I have owned and driven several trucks just like that over the years. They are great little trucks, and the 22R/RE is one of the best motors ever to come from Toyota, but they are underpowered by modern standards. These trucks were made when the top speed limit was 55 mph nationwide, by federal law. I love to drive old trucks (see my sig. below), but driving a stock mini truck with a 4-speed on modern freeways will not be very fun or safe. No cruise control either, besides the lack of safety features and creature comforts already mentioned. Not trying to talk you out of it - if you don't mind taking back roads and going a little slower to get somewhere these are great little trucks. Change the timing chain and guides at recommended intervals, don't lug it, and change the oil regularly, and they will run nearly forever.

jgallo1

Adventurer
Thanks for everyone's help. I have driven old truck before. Before I had my tacoma I had an 87 land rover as my DD, i drove it all over. I love the feel of the old machines. The truck is under 10k. I am hoping he will take 8.5 and then I will be driving it for sure. My wife has a 2006 4 runner that is in great shape. It will just be me running around, in this little truck. Most of my daily drives are not more than 15 miles. I should be ok.

OSV

Adventurer
The middle pic shows a brake line that looks 20 years old.

that, and it looks like somebody rattlecanned that whole area behind the tire.

anytime that i see armorall on tires, i get suspicious.

it's not just the engine/trans miles, toyota front axle housings will bend sooner or later, ask me how i know... '83 did not have any reinforcing on the housing? that came later.

the seller is probably asking $5k or more for that truck, for not much more $$$ you can get a later year 5-speed 22re rig, something that someone has thrown some real money at, and needs to unload.

Derek24

Explorer
Nice looking truck! I like the two tone. I DD my 83. I've sold a 2011 FJ cruiser and a 2003 fully loaded Sequoia because I never drove them and only my little truck. There's something about not worrying about if a parking space is too small or if a a deer is going to jump out. Love the solid axle up front, and the cool factor is through the roof. I get compliment all the time and waves from other Toyota drivers. I've pulled trailers and hauled a lot of wood in my truck over long distance, it teaches you patcients going slow, but never any problems. These things last forever. Mines close to 300k miles and still on the original clutch. If you can I say buy it and keep your Tacoma too. You can always get your money back on the 83!

jgallo1

Adventurer
I think that is the same truck. I am dealing with one of the mechanics from that dealer, it is his truck. I have got him down to 9k, I am working on 8k. ha ha

shauniscndn

Adventurer
That's excellent, just didn't want you to get burned on a buying sight unseen or something similar. Good luck on the purchase.

Arktikos

Explorer
Given your stated driving plans, I see no need for a solid axle. I wouldn't do it, especially since you are in California and would have to pass smog laws with an old technology engine.

SIZZLE

Pro-party
I'd have a hard time giving up a reliable truck that I know the history on for something unknown.

jgallo1

Adventurer
We are still in the debating process over the price, but if he goes I am going to snag it.

Now lets talk tires.
any advice is helpful. I am thinking either 30x9.5 or 31x10.5.. Any thoughts?

Derek24

Explorer
If you're not going to lift it I'd go with 30s. I have 31s with three inches of lift and it looks great. I can feel I lost power, not bad but it is noticeable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier