1983 FJ45 Troop Carrier Buildup

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Recently, much to the dismay of my wife...I fell for a 25 year old Australian gal....

1983 Toyota FJ45RV Troop Carrier Land Cruiser
2F Petrol Motor, converted to also run LPG
H41 Four Speed with 4.99:1 First gear
Overdrive

She arrived at the Port of Long Beach on a ship from Brisbane in August. 312K kilometers on the clock, and in really good condition for her age. Runs great and shifts smoothly.

The build up will begin shortly after a title company is done doing the importation and title stuff...

Suspension/Tires
Drivetrain
Interior Seating/Cage/Storage/Water etc.

Here she is....a beauty....

213226619-M.jpg

213226627-M.jpg

213226640-M.jpg

If only my FJ40 in high school had this much room in the bed.....:jumping: :oops:

213226650-M.jpg

-H-

Last edited:

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
She's GLORIOUS!!!!!!!! I'm pretty damn jealous man... So what now? Diesel Swap? DIESEL SWAP!!!!!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Shifting left handed and no power steering? Time to start working out!

So pardon my ignorance but when you shift, are the gears left to right like here, or is first gear on the top right and you work your way out to the left? And the pedals? Clutch on the left, brake middle, and accelerator on the right? I've never driven a RHD.

I don't see driving on the right hand side as all that weird but I bet shifting left handed would almost be like learning to drive again. This should be a fun thread to follow. More fun than the 4Runner anyway. :cow:

Love the color. Does the GS fit in the back?

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
kcowyo said:
Shifting left handed and no power steering? Time to start working out!

So pardon my ignorance but when you shift, are the gears left to right like here, or is first gear on the top right and you work your way out to the left? And the pedals? Clutch on the left, brake middle, and accelerator on the right? I've never driven a RHD.

I don't see driving on the right hand side as all that weird but I bet shifting left handed would almost be like learning to drive again. This should be a fun thread to follow. More fun than the 4Runner anyway. :cow:

Love the color. Does the GS fit in the back?

Its easy, really...

• Pedals, gearbox, turn signals, etc. are exactly the same.
  • Bruises on your right arm remind you to shift with your left hand.
  • The wing mirror is there for you when you look out the window for the rear view mirror.
  • When you get in the car, put on the seat belt and realize the steering wheel is the other side you laugh.
  • When you pull out to pass a truck your passenger sees the oncoming vehicle first and screams. :)
Cheers,
Graham

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Living in these redneck boonies, I didn't even know those things even existed. I always loved my grandpa's FJ-40 and wanted one, but know I'm drooling over this rig. Good God, keep the color the way it is. That patina Rocks!!!! She's (I presume it's a she) has got to have a cool name, too.

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
A beauty! and close to my end of the world. :smiley_drive:

Count on me for some helping hands, working on it will be good cruiser therapy :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles