1983 FJ45 Troop Carrier Buildup

Speaker

Adventurer
Hltoppr said:
DesertDude's stellar carpentry skills will be sought for a drawer system....I need to decide if I want to be able to sleep in the back...

what about dormobile style ala Green Rover / Sportsmobile ala Badger Trek?
GRktichen1t.jpg

InteriorFrontToBack2.jpg

You've got room, right? :REExeSquatsHL1:

BreckBJ44

Observer
R&d

So if you want to work together on the R&D...

I have been looking into building a below the gutter Pop top like the sportsmobile... Though it would be pretty easy to do by building a lifter rail and u hoops like they do that rides just on top of the hard top sides. If it adds a few inches, no big deal to get that kind of head room.

If we design on that works for my 44 it should easily be able to do a 45!!

Kraig

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Yep...2k was the ball park price luke quoted me over then phone. That was a drop off and pick up price using all new toyota parts. I'm still deciding what I'm going to do.
I'd say to use desertdude and build a sleep platform drawer system for sure!!!

Hltoppr said:
Thanks for the kind words guys....

I've had the first chance to really drive her around today, and really enjoy it. The RHD isn't a problem; other than I keep walking to the left side of the rig...then remembering and having to wander around to the right...:oops:

Shifting with the left hand isn't an issue, and the pedals are where they are on a LHD rig....I still try to hit the turn signal stalk with my left hand...instead of the right...but getting used to it.

Power steering is on the mod list, as parallel parking is a bit of a struggle, and we've got a lot of that in downtown Flagstaff...$2K you say 24HrsOfNV? I hope that was someone else installing it....I'll have to search the OZ websites some. Someone must have a kit....

First things will be to bring it up to spec, with some weatherstripping and latch bits, then tune up, seats, suspension and tires. DesertDude's stellar carpentry skills will be sought for a drawer system....I need to decide if I want to be able to sleep in the back....
:chowtime:

-H-

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I've seen three different "pop top" styles for the 45....there's one in Flagstaff right now...I'll see if I can get pics....one is a side pop/dormobile style, the other is a straight up "sportsmobile" style and the third is hinged at the front...

24HrOfNV...$2K for all Toyota parts, and install, is pretty good....maybe we can have him do both of ours for a bit off....I'm figuring $800-$1000 for parts....power steering is pretty high on my list of mods...

More pics to come!

-H-

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
for what its worth, power steering install is one of those things that is "intimidating" but not that hard at all.. You have have to do some light fab but nothing too involved.. If you have a friend with a welder that goes a long way. I would order a kit from Kurt (Cruiseroutfit - cruiseroutfitters.com). I can't remember if he makes you source your own box or if it is supposed to come with one. Regardless, that is the only part that should be different for the swap -- the steering box. You can get this done in a day or so fairly easily. It is/should be in the top 3 of modifications, it is night and day without powersteering. I drove non powersteering trucks (FJ40, Land Rover Series III 88) for years and almost loved them but when I got it particularly in a truck that is even mildly offroaded, little did I know what I was missing...

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
dieselcruiserhead said:
for what its worth, power steering install is one of those things that is "intimidating" but not that hard at all.. You have have to do some light fab but nothing too involved.. If you have a friend with a welder that goes a long way. I would order a kit from Kurt (Cruiseroutfit - cruiseroutfitters.com). I can't remember if he makes you source your own box or if it is supposed to come with one. Regardless, that is the only part that should be different for the swap -- the steering box....

My kits all come sans box and pump, which in this case could be ideal. I know for a fact my kits have been used in Canada for RHD setups. Everything would be an identical mirror with the exception of the box as Andre pointed out. I've never sourced a RHD interior 4 bolt mount box, but I doubt its too hard to track down, there are 4 bolt external LHD (thus internal RHD) boxes all over the place, just need to find one with the correct input (adaptable), output (pitman arm) and ratio. (Anywhere from a 3:1 to 4.25:1). All in all it could easily be done (your labor) for ~$750 assuming you do a new pump, rebuilt box and a kit similar to mine. Of course this is Saginaw, not an OEM setup.

If you are die-hard about staying Toyota, get ahold of the folks up in Canada (G&S, Radd, etc) they should be able to source you just the box, linkages will convert, add a pump and hoses :cool:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Kurt....I have a feeling we'll get to know each other well!! I'm not picky about a Saginaw unit on this build, as any time I can source parts in the US, it's a good thing....

-H-

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
really Saginaw is not a bad option at all. Very rugged built for the most part, good and reliable, and nice and powerful. The key though as Kurt mentioned it to abolsutely make sure you have to correct ratio otherwise they can be too powerful/squirrly. I have done two Toyota swaps and they both worked well but were a little weak...

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I'm totally and completely ignorant about ratios....which is why $2k doesn't seem bad at all installed by someone who does know....:) I've got a lot to learn....

-H-

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Hltoppr said:
I'm totally and completely ignorant about ratios....which is why $2k doesn't seem bad at all installed by someone who does know....:) I've got a lot to learn....

-H-

Patience, Grasshopper. If we can source the parts, it shouldn't be that hard to accomplish. I'll help you out. You know I have those Ninja skills.

cruiseroutfit

Hltoppr said:

-H-

The ratios are pretty easy to understand... I'll try and sum it up. With the Saginaw (or any gearbox for that matter), you have an input and an output, they are NOT one to one as that would make a VERY squirly rig. The Saginaw box only rotates in a ~90 degree arc, if your steering was 1:1, you would only move your steering wheel only one revolution to turn from side to side - SCARY :D

With a 2:1 box, your steering wheel will rotate 2 times to turn the wheels from lock to lock, left and right. A little more manageable, but too fast for a top heavy beast (ie. Land Cruisers ;)

~ 3:1 is actually a common box for swaps, I prefer to use something more like 3.5:1 on the average swap and up to 4.25:1 in taller rigs with larger tires.

Of course all of these numbers are relative to the length of your pitman arm and steering arms, which are pretty standard for Land Cruiser steering swaps. Take note the exact same part# box, can have a different ratio, it is really easy to check it, I do so before I even leave the part store.

$2k for a swap installed is not a bad price at all, especially from talented hands like Luke, the guy knows his stuff and his prices reflect it... money well spent. If you do decide to build & install your own kit, let me know and I can assist you on the pump, box, etc. :D

cruiseroutfit

dieselcruiserhead said:
really Saginaw is not a bad option at all. Very rugged built for the most part, good and reliable, and nice and powerful. The key though as Kurt mentioned it to abolsutely make sure you have to correct ratio otherwise they can be too powerful/squirrly. I have done two Toyota swaps and they both worked well but were a little weak...

Andre brings up a great point... power.

The Saginaw setup is far more powerful than a Toyota OE system, for many the Toyota is plenty, and it can always be "boosted" through several methods (hyrdo assist, pump mods, etc). There isn't a magic "number" for which system to use, I prefer to discuss the actual rig. Do you plan to run a PTO winch, do you care to keep it OE or use only OEM parts? Do you plan to run 33's or less? If yes to these, the OE Toyota system is a fit. If you plan to go bigger, the Saginaw offers more power and upgrades in the long run.

Not to confuse things more, but in addition to different ratios, there are also different piston sizes available, all of the common boxes used for LC swaps use the same piston size, but one can track down a larger Saginaw box.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Thanks for the explanation!

My current idea is to run no larger than a 33" tire, likely 33x10.5R15 or a 285 metric; along with an electric winch and no other PTO gear. That being said, I don't mind having a bit more power than necessary, if for no other reason than to keep the stress on the gear down, hoping for longevity...

-H-

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Man, I go outta town for 3 days and miss everything. Congrats, that is a NICE Troopy!!!

Last edited:

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Hltoppr said:

-H-

That's me too. When Andre writes it down it usually good advice. It does seem more of a pain to track the right parts down. I would hate to keep having to buy steering boxes! I just need to move to utah and learn more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior