1983 FJ45 Troop Carrier Buildup

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
grahamfitter said:
Its easy, really...

• Pedals, gearbox, turn signals, etc. are exactly the same.
  • Bruises on your right arm remind you to shift with your left hand.
  • The wing mirror is there for you when you look out the window for the rear view mirror.
  • When you get in the car, put on the seat belt and realize the steering wheel is the other side you laugh.
  • When you pull out to pass a truck your passenger sees the oncoming vehicle first and screams. :)
Cheers,
Graham

Actually, the turn signal stalk is on the right side of the column.

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Re: BJ70

MoGas said:
Actually, the turn signal stalk is on the right side of the column.

That was the biggest "problem" getting used to my RHD BJ74 - for about a week I'd go to signal and flip the windshield wipers on instead.

Shifting's no problem. Actually, RHD is no problem. :smiley_drive: See, even the smilie can do it ;)

I love your Troopie! It would look awful nice with a 12H-T, 1HZ, or 1HD-T under the hood...!!

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Very nice my friend. You can get a left hand power steering setup from luke porter at 4x4labs. He quoted me a price of about two grand. I wanted all toyota parts on my right hand drive hj45. He was going to use a steering box from a 70's series rig. Call me if you want more info...maybe we can get a package deal going on some rhd power steering. Again I like your troopie.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Thanks for the kind words guys....

I've had the first chance to really drive her around today, and really enjoy it. The RHD isn't a problem; other than I keep walking to the left side of the rig...then remembering and having to wander around to the right...:oops:

Shifting with the left hand isn't an issue, and the pedals are where they are on a LHD rig....I still try to hit the turn signal stalk with my left hand...instead of the right...but getting used to it.

Power steering is on the mod list, as parallel parking is a bit of a struggle, and we've got a lot of that in downtown Flagstaff...$2K you say 24HrsOfNV? I hope that was someone else installing it....I'll have to search the OZ websites some. Someone must have a kit....

First things will be to bring it up to spec, with some weatherstripping and latch bits, then tune up, seats, suspension and tires. DesertDude's stellar carpentry skills will be sought for a drawer system....I need to decide if I want to be able to sleep in the back....
:chowtime:

-H-

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
DesertDude's stellar carpentry skills will be sought for a drawer system....I need to decide if I want to be able to sleep in the back....

Did somebody say custom :victory:

...I'm on it :bigbossHL:

:::

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior