1983 Datsun 720 4x4

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Thats good to know. Were the 77 Patrol ute's ever sold in North America. What engine do you have in yours?

foster

No, the only Patrols were got in the USA were 1962-69 short wheel base hardtop and soft tops. I imported the Ute from New Zealand in 2003. I am putting a SD33T diesel in the 77 Patrol. Same engine as the SD22T (put in the 720 pickups) but it has 2 more cylinders.

Cheers

Mako1114

Adventurer
What would you recommend?

Unfortunately I don't have any advice regarding which tubing to use, however I would consult your fabricator regarding material, diameter and thickness to utilize for best results. A quick search located a thread on Pirate4x4 that includes charts that illustrate the tensile strength of HREW, DOM and Chro-Mo tubing.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/216233-tubing-strength-chart-weight-per-foot.html

Cheers

I got my 235/75/15 bfg mt's in the mail today! They are the perfect birthday present for myself. I'm having the wheels painted to their original white. There was some Surface rust and some nicks.

2a9a6usu.jpg

What do you guys think of buying a smittybilt tube bumper and have custom mounts made for my nissan? I priced out getting a bumper fabed and it's 500 for a front and 300 for a rear. Smittybilts for jeeps are like 200 new. I found one for a jc5. A jc5 has a 59inch width and the 720 has a 63inch I believe. Maybe I can get one for a new jeep with a wider track and just have a buddy weld brackets on. Seems like a way to save some money?
6u5edy2e.jpg

Brought the truck in to the shop on Tuesday and my neighbor/mechanic say she looks great! I'm having the bilstens installed and the fluids changed. All engines go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpat30

Adventurer
Should be close enough to work and not look out of proportion. I really like the route you are taking with this truck. I am a HUGE fan of 80's era 4x4s. When you get some time, can we get some more pics of the interior of the truck? Thanks in advance.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Should be close enough to work and not look out of proportion. I really like the route you are taking with this truck. I am a HUGE fan of 80's era 4x4s. When you get some time, can we get some more pics of the interior of the truck? Thanks in advance.

Ditto

Thanks man. I'm stopping by the fabricator today to see what they say. Seems like a much more economic way to get bumpers. After searching around on amazon I found one that was 63 inches wide. I'll measure the truck today as well as take some interior photos.

Foster

Here are some photos of the interior. The passenger seat is in great condition but the drivers is done and needs replacing. I want to keep the feel of the vinyl.

Any recommendations for what to do with the surface rust caused. Y the gasket on the rear window?

yje3eduj.jpg

ade3y5y8.jpg
vetuby4a.jpg

atuhunu2.jpg

jpat30

Adventurer
Vinyl is awesome; Even better, throw an old Navajo blanket on that bad boy:)

Truck looks great, really nice find.....

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Wow, that vinyl is beautious! I do like the Navajo blanket suggestion...it would offer some protection too.

I wonder if the side bends of those Jeep bumpers might be an issue. You might have to space it pretty far out from the front clip to get the ends of the bumpers to clear.

Smittybilt also made the dual-tube bumpers for the 80s and 90s Toyota Trucks and 4runners...they're straight all the way to the ends and then wrap around the corners. That might be a better fit if you can find one.

1985-toyota-xtracab-SR5-hilux-front.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't had much luck looking for the toyota bumpers either. The off set on the end of the jeep bumped seems pretty mellow but I'm still looking for options.

Foster

Allof75

Pathfinder
Wow that tufted interior is spectacular! I'm drooling over this thing every day thanks to you :) Anyway, when it comes to the seats, perhaps invest in some updated/upgraded foam and use the existing vinyl? Or is the vinyl itself shot?

Wow that tufted interior is spectacular! I'm drooling over this thing every day thanks to you :) Anyway, when it comes to the seats, perhaps invest in some updated/upgraded foam and use the existing vinyl? Or is the vinyl itself shot?

The vinyl and foam on the drivers seat is shot. The passenger seat is perfect. Since it's a bench seat, they'll have to rip both out or leave a seem somewhere.

Foster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier