1982 Fleet Flatbed Conversion Project

lindy74

The cement works really well. I would still advise that you sew it as well though. Would really regret it coming apart down the road(No pun intended). I got a sewing machine for 147 bucks new that will handle the vinyl.

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've used HH-66 a lot on various projects. I built an enclosure for our Albin 25 cruiser last year using vinyl fabric. Much easier than sewing and I sew quite a bit. Vinyl fabric is available on Ebay pretty cheaply. I did sew the zippers for the windows on to vinyl fabric before gluing them in to the enclosure.

MDM54

Observer
Make the lift panels first. Much easier to attach the vinyl side curtain to the roof and trim/adjust the lower edge that attaches to the camper body. Can do a trial fit by temporarily attaching rope or webbing to the lower edge of the curtain and securing to the underside of the camper. This would allow lifting and lowering the roof to test the fit.

MDM54

Observer
Works great. The newer the vinyl the better. As vinyl fabric ages, the plasticisers that impart flexibility migrate out of the vinyl and HH-66 becomes ineffective.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Thanks for the information everyone. I'm going to use 18oz vinyl coated polyester. Based on the comments above, and the fact that raft patches are applied with glue, I think I'll give glue alone a try. If I need to replace the canvas once a decade, that is fine by me.

Anyone have insight into using E-panel for exterior panels and bonding with Sikaflex 252? I've been very intrigued by TeleTurns build thread: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/61346-Four-Wheel-Camper-Flatbed-Conversion I wonder if he ever finished this out?

kerry

Expedition Leader
18oz is lighter than the fabric on my Northstar TS 1000. It's what I used on my boat enclosure though. One really nice thing about using that fabric is that it's super easy to patch with the HH-66 if you ever get a hole in it or need to do repairs.

kerry

Expedition Leader
You could probably insulate the fabric by doubling it up and sliding some of that Home Depot aluminized bubble stuff inside. If I were to do that I'd do it in two sections with nothing in a small area halfway up so the fabric could fold in when the top came down.

GoinBoardin

Observer
It seems like 18oz would do the job no problem. My backpacking tents are much, much lighter and have withstood some crazy storms.

I made some room in the [small] garage so I have a level floor to build the frame on. The siding, old frame "lift", and last of the floor pack was removed. Hopefully I can get some materials and crank out some actual construction this weekend.
20170524_224911smaller2.jpg
With removing the old frame "lift", it looks like I'll need to extend the canvas height 6" minimum to be able to stand up inside. I'm thinking I'll go to an 8" canvas extension; so around 34" (includes length to attach) of canvas. This will put the camper 4" over the cab of my truck at the tightest spot (vs the original ~12"), and I'll gain substantial headroom while in bed. I'll be going with tubular lift mechanisms so changing height is not a big deal. General idea is the same as this: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/11945-84-fleet-09-tacoma-project/page-2

That's an interesting idea for insulation on the canvas. I'll make up removable Reflectix for cool/cold weather. I like the idea of being able to clean both sides of the canvas to avoid the mildew that forms between layers of the double wall designs.

So many little steps on doing a build. Once you get it sitting on a new floor pack, it's a boost of confidence, and inspiration to get the job done. Just something to think about. Raising the roof is going to catch a lot more wind. I was considering using the tubing for my roof lift, but thought about extreme side load from cross wind. Could the tubing possibly collapse? Maybe some diagonal cross bracing on the lift tubes would eliminate problems from cross winds?

GoinBoardin

Observer
If I were to do this over, I'd start from scratch. I have a lot of time into disassembly. I wouldn't by another old fwc unless it was in pristine condition and ready to use. Not that I'm not enjoying this; I am, and learning. That Keystone camper is too big but does appear to be in decent shape.

GoinBoardin

Observer
Started on some fabrication today after picking up some material yesterday. I bought tongue & groove 3/4" ply for flooring, 3/4" birch veneer ply for the overhead bed (I'll make this a slide out), a piece of oak to face the slide out bed, some poplar for the slide out supports, and 125' of 1" 14ga steel tube (they didn't have 16 ga in stock, not a big deal). This is more tube than I need, but 1" is great to have on hand for random projects.

I got a litter further along than this, but this is the last picture I took. Sorry for the blur, my phone camera has intermittent focusing capabilities.
FloorFrame.jpg

The frame looks convoluted but there's method to the madness. The double tubes going across are to support the plywood seam. The red circles show approximate bolt down locations for the front.

After lots of paint/sealer on the ply and paint on the steel, I'll be attaching ply to the bottom of the floor frame with large head self drilling/tapping screws. The space between the tubes will get 1" XPS insulation for an insulated floor. I'm not sure exactly what I'll do for the floor material to stand on; I'm leaning toward laminate flooring with a thin under lay of ply.

I should be able to finish up the steel tube frame tomorrow, hopefully get some paint on it & the plywood floor. I'll be busy part of Monday so that's a good time for paint to be drying.

Attachments

• FloorFrame.jpg
    FloorFrame.jpg
    494.2 KB · Views: 31

GoinBoardin

Observer
I did not finish the frame, but made some progress there and it's coming together well. Spent more time on sealing the flooring plywood, and making the overhead bed with slide out (cutting it out, sanding, sanding, stain & poly on interior sides, spar varnish exterior + oil based enamel, adding the oak face board to the slide out). A few pictures.
20170528_145019.jpg
20170529_174204.jpg
20170529_172940.jpg

GoinBoardin

Observer
Looks Good!

Thanks!

I've ordered new vinyl coated polyester & HH-66. I'll do some test applications of the HH-66 to see how well it holds. After reading this thread: http://www.talkshopbot.com/forum/showthread.php?6014-Multi-Layer-PVC/page3 , I feel the glue should work well for this application. I'll be replacing the headliner at the same time, and the fiber insulation will be replaced with XPS foam (R5).

This weekend I'll hopefully get the frame finished up & painted, with the now sealed floor ply attached. I'd like to see what I'm up against for shortening the door soon too; need to trim ~8" off the bottom before it will fit the new opening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles