1980 Land Rover Lightweight Series III Build

telwyn

Adventurer
I was going to go with custom mounts to tie the Front Runner rack to the roof so they’d be less obtrusive on the edges of the rack. Mock ups in the earlier pictures on this page. I’ve now decided to stick with the factory rain gutter mounts from Front Runner for a likely stronger and more waterproof fit.

Next is deciding where to mount the side and rear smaller LED bars so they will illuminate the underside of the Alu-Cab shadow awning.

IMG_3457.jpeg

IMG_3455.jpeg

IMG_3456.jpeg

telwyn

Adventurer
Did a test fit today with the Alu-Cab Shadow Awning. It wasn’t yet pulled tight around the backside of the roof hence the slack in it. Fit was good overall. Working on underside lighting ideas now.

E930D3C5-AE82-41F6-B75A-459B65D70E0D.jpeg

3B550416-2EB9-4D4B-983E-620715D466EA.jpeg

telwyn

Adventurer
Installed the British military antenna box (it’s empty now) and am using it for the removable CB antenna. Thought was it’s a good place to attach it and keep somewhat of the original military look for this former British Army Lightweight.

IMG_3471.jpeg

IMG_3475.jpeg

telwyn

Adventurer
I was going to go with custom mounts to tie the Front Runner rack to the roof so they’d be less obtrusive on the edges of the rack. Mock ups in the earlier pictures on this page. I’ve now decided to stick with the factory rain gutter mounts from Front Runner for a likely stronger and more waterproof fit.

Next is deciding where to mount the side and rear smaller LED bars so they will illuminate the underside of the Alu-Cab shadow awning.

View attachment 601965

View attachment 601966

View attachment 601967

Worms

Telwyn, I guess it depends on your anticipated use, but did you consider having stronger mounts for the roof rack, to bring the weight down to the waist of the vehicle, or lower? The upper portion of the body has a lot of flex in it and even the weight of a spare wheel on the roof can be enough to really shake the structure to bits on corrugations, unless it is well supported lower down.

telwyn

Adventurer
Good question and points... My original plan was to have an external cage made that would tie to the frame. I was going to then mount the roof rack to that. Would both strengthen the roof rack’s load capacity and allow me to use the rack whether I’m running the Rover with the hard top or soft top. The shop doing the build though got concerned about the liability of making a cage for me and backed off of that idea. I haven’t given up on it yet though. I don’t envision carrying a lot of weight on the roof - the spare tire goes on the hood, the RTT goes on the m416 trailer, and I have another spare that matches the Rover and trailer on the trailer.

telwyn

Adventurer
Engine is out now to be painted and the headliner is going in on the hard top.

IMG_0734.jpeg
IMG_0732.jpeg
IMG_0735.jpeg
IMG_0738.jpeg

Attachments

• 2557160E-EFAF-4306-B510-C6A3DCCD25BC.jpeg
    2557160E-EFAF-4306-B510-C6A3DCCD25BC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member