1980 Land Rover Lightweight Series III Build

telwyn

Adventurer
Someone PM’d me and asked about the plans for the center console. For anyone else interested thought I’d paste my reply here too:

My original plan with this build was to scrap this original look of the dash and instead modernize it. I bought this dash below from MudUK and this great instrument gauge from Madman and planned to mount an Alpine Apple car play in the center of the dash.

A Defender dash would normally have the big bump out in the center like this dash I bought from Mud UK.

https://www.mudstuff.co.uk/products/mud-stuff/mud-defender-console.html

https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/madman-ems2-engine-monitor/

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500IL...MIjMT_qo-f3AIVgjuBCh3yjwrHEAQYASABEgKzQ_D_BwE

https://www.exmoortrim.co.uk/premium-cubby-box-2858.html

But I’ve since decided to mount the Alpine as a flip down screen from the Exmoor cubby box and restore and preserve the original look of the center console but add the Madman to it.

Tembo

topless adventures
There will still be a fuel tank under each seat base. Not sure if the original tanks will go back in or if we will make new ones. We also plan to make a third fuel tank to go under the tub in the back between the cross members. I’m hoping for 40 gallons total between the three tanks.

Ahhh...okay. I just bought a lightweight last Friday and starting to look at how I can extend the range. Was considering getting a custom aluminium tank made for the rear under the tub as well. And the upgrade to front discs. Will be watching how you progress here.

telwyn

Adventurer
Ahhh...okay. I just bought a lightweight last Friday and starting to look at how I can extend the range. Was considering getting a custom aluminium tank made for the rear under the tub as well. And the upgrade to front discs. Will be watching how you progress here.

There is a helpful group on FB for Lightweights you may be interested in. I’ve yet to see a question asked they can’t answer...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lan...=1531630046146407&notif_t=group_comment_reply

Gren_T

Adventurer
Ouch.. but it is very nice.. thanks for the prompt reply I'll be following your build with interest
regards
Gren

Ouch.. but it is very nice.. thanks for the prompt reply I'll be following your build with interest
regards
Gren

Not sure this will help, but check out places like West Marine and other sites like that! I know it is not a genuine LR part if that's what you want, but composite options could be a second choice for you! There is also a place called BoatOutfitters that has a lot of compartmental type storage options that might fit your needs.

telwyn

Adventurer
regards
Gren

Not sure this will help, but check out places like West Marine and other sites like that! I know it is not a genuine LR part if that's what you want, but composite options could be a second choice for you! There is also a place called BoatOutfitters that has a lot of compartmental type storage options that might fit your needs.

Agreed, marine cubbies are a good idea. I considered buying some off the rack or having them made for my trailer build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed, marine cubbies are a good idea. I considered buying some off the rack or having them made for my trailer build.

I'm going to use a few Marine cubby doors in my sleeping platform build. They are also very expensive but in the long run, especially in a build like @telwyn, quality is well worth it to meet the rest of the project's standards! Good stuff!

telwyn

Adventurer
Test fitting the new led indicator lights. They are 4 inch (meant for a Defender) vs. the original 3.25 inch Lightweight lights, but I think we can make them fit.

A5E3D1A3-8C68-4723-9EA8-1371E4E2DAB2.jpeg

telwyn

Adventurer
Been a while. Back with some updates..

Had two custom fuel tanks fabricated to go under the front seats and a third tank made to go under the rear tub. The front ones will be tied together and share an external filler while the third one will have a separate filler. Will convert the existing toggle switch to swap between the combined front tanks or rear. Front tanks are about an inch taller than the original tanks and also have cut outs/notches for my underwear lockers.

With the 300tDI in now we need to find a new place for the dual batteries. Decided to mount both of them under the rear wheel arches where Lightweights typically have under arch tool boxes. We’ll box these in to have the same look.

Led signal lights are in as are the DRL.

Winch is in now too.

f8facebfa27414f2ffa52e205feee5b2.jpg

343292282f9152438a6ab34b01480afa.jpg

0ffa56628003e2648e2d213797267c06.jpg

080c99a265f29750af26dfc6c60599f0.jpg

f06c45c761a01ea8c14f442c6fafefd5.jpg

e7c195149dc077929c49eca871e940bb.jpg

ed9a583f14fb7169ad7eef0c22cbf543.jpg

1c480995f8b8879d7e1e41d565cd58bb.jpg

e2f9873259e0e0c4fc8a6475c2eec24b.jpg

Forum statistics