1980 Land Rover Lightweight Series III Build

telwyn

Adventurer
This is my 1980 Land Rover Lightweight Series III. I’ve owned it since 2004, but have neglected it since 2012. Finally started a major build last year to restore and upgrade it for overland. In some ways I’ll try to maintain a fairly original look, in others I won’t. Photos here are before and during photos. Good news is the build has finally progressed from tearing it apart to now putting it back together. Welcome any comments and suggestions along the way. P.S. Also upgrading my 1967 m416 trailer at the same time.IMG_0913.jpegIMG_0920.jpegIMG_3742.jpegIMG_0367.jpegIMG_0368.jpegIMG_0204.jpegIMG_0875.jpegIMG_0894.jpegIMG_1067.jpegIMG_1391.jpeg

Tembo

topless adventures
Looks great! I figure if I ever add another overlander to my mini-fleet, it will be a Lightweight. So more than a bit envious.

jethro5

Would love to build one day on HD axles and run 40s for a rock crawler rig.

Looking forward to seeing how yours evolves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

telwyn

Adventurer
A few more updates on the build. 300 tDI is in, seats are in, body panels going back on, underseat lockers in the front, storage locker behind rear seats is in, etc...
8b56152a7c4bfd8496696689d398991f.jpg
dadc331889e691250c83747ca8319651.jpg
7d5378a5e222cb1b82379ce14b46da41.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
Cool build. That steering set-up is weird. I've never noticed that before on a Land Rover Series. Is that what they did with the light weights?

Tembo

topless adventures
What are you doing for a fuel tank, since by the pics your using the under seat areas for storage?

telwyn

Adventurer
What are you doing for a fuel tank, since by the pics your using the under seat areas for storage?
There will still be a fuel tank under each seat base. Not sure if the original tanks will go back in or if we will make new ones. We also plan to make a third fuel tank to go under the tub in the back between the cross members. I’m hoping for 40 gallons total between the three tanks.

telwyn

Adventurer
Cool build. That steering set-up is weird. I've never noticed that before on a Land Rover Series. Is that what they did with the light weights?
Weird in what way? It’s the only Series Rover I’ve had so hard for me to tell how the Lightweight might be different than a traditional Series.

Worms

Looks pretty much like the pic in my old Series II, IIA & III Haynes Manual. All I remember is constant problems with play in the steering box and the huge expense of a new one...which I could never quite afford!

21E57940-FFAA-4A5C-A51D-B31591A05D61.jpeg

telwyn

Adventurer
Looks pretty much like the pic in my old Series II, IIA & III Haynes Manual. All I remember is constant problems with play in the steering box and the huge expense of a new one...which I could never quite afford!

View attachment 460253
Thanks... I am planning for the steering to replace the steering wheel with a 14 inch MoMo wheel with a slim boss to give me more room as the driver. I’m also adding power steering.

Worms

Interesting! My recollection is of the series III having very light steering but I guess with modern tyres and a smaller steering wheel there may be a greater need for power assistance. Are you updating the brakes?

telwyn

Adventurer
Interesting! My recollection is of the series III having very light steering but I guess with modern tyres and a smaller steering wheel there may be a greater need for power assistance. Are you updating the brakes?
I upgraded the front brakes to disc about 10 years ago. Rear are remaining drum. With the 300 tDI going in and smaller wheel I thought it a good idea to add the power steering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles