1980 Jeep Cherokee Chief (you know you want it!)

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
It's been a fun trip, but my commute and parking situation just changed drastically, and it is time to rethink my priorities a bit... It's absolutely killing me to do this, but I need every penny I can get and the Nissan is just a better option for me at this time in my life.

What you have here is a 1980 Jeep Cherokee Chief, which is basically a Grand Wagoneer without the back doors. This one has around 20k miles on an engine rebuild, and mechanically everything works as it should. As you can see from the list below, I have spent a lot of time and money making it into a truck that will get you into (and out of) just about any situation in comfort. I would hop in this truck today and drive it to Death Valley with absolutely no concerns, or just spend a day bombing through Hollister Hills...

Below is a partial list of modifications, but you really do need to experience this truck for yourself to understand just how capable and comfortable it is.

Engine/Mechanical
* 360CI AMC V8 bored out slightly during rebuild. Ford Motorcraft carb.
* MSD 6AL, Ford Motorsports cables, HEI upgrade - much smoother running and better performance than stock
* Upgraded wiring harness so the engine bay doesn't catch fire anymore!
* Optima Red Top battery
* Stock AMC20 rear and Dana 44 front axles, manual locking hubs - all work well. I put it in 4x4 once a week just to make sure the oil is flowing.

Suspension
* 2" Body Lift, 4" spring lift
* Edelbrock IAS Shocks
* 33x12.5-15" mud terrains on steel rock crawlers

Cosmetic
* Tad-Rack steel roof rack with army surplus storage box for recovery gear, hi-lift mount, shovel mount
* Custom front bumper with Firestik CB antenna and Hella driving lights (lights have not been wired yet)
* Front seats from a Porsche 911
* Nicer interior from a Wagoneer
* Rear window actually works, as does A/C blower, heater, windshield wipers
* Pioneer CD player with four very good speakers
* Sunpro tach - all factory gauges work too

I am looking for $3000 (ExPo price) for this amazing truck, but I am willing to discuss that to a certain extent. I may also be open to interesting trades.

IMG_2101.JPG

IMG_2103.JPG

IMG_2105.JPG

IMG_2107.JPG

DSCF2925.JPG

16440_177412853556_506723556_2981321_7578811_n.jpg

16440_177416928556_506723556_2981412_1809205_n.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
Fabulous truck.

Questions:
Does the truck pass the CA smog test?
Is the back seat in place? If not, is it still available?
The A/C blower works, but does the A/C produce cold air?
Looking at the photos, I don't see a lever for low range. Does
the truck have a two speed transfer case? I'm not familiar
with this model Jeep. Didn't it have a form of Quadratrac?

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
answers:

Gas tank is a 16gal (iirc) and comes with an additional 12gal that you can install if you want. Back with seat removed is perfectly sized for a twin mattress.

Truck sailed through smog last time and will be smogged for new buyer, per CA law.

Back seat is in my laundry room, installs easily and has lap belts for two.

A/C needs a recharge. Reason the blower matters is because it is the only source of air pointed at the face.

This year cherk used a flag shifter - it's right by the driver's seat. It is NOT a fulltime/AWD unit, so you have marginally better mpg - I usually see 12-14. Hi, Lo, and Neutral all engage positively and smoothly.

BigBwana

I registered with EP so that I could tell you how much I like your Cherokee! I just spent considerable time (and $$) getting my diesel LR Series III 88" reliable and still this truck is making my eyes wander. How is she on the highway? The 2.5L with O/D in my SIII barely gets me to 55 (which makes Tahoe a long, loud trip away).

Wander

Expedition Leader
I know this one hurts BKCG-that is one nice FSJ. Good luck with the sale-or even better I hope things change and you get to keep her.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
oh man. that's nice.

hmmm, interesting trades, huh?

Too bad my XJ isn't more interesting...lol.

Foo2rama

Trade

I have an interesting trade for you.

73 240z rust free with a 2.8 engine swap also has E31 heads on it (rare factory race heads) Still has the 4 speed but I can source a 5 speed for you if you are interested. re-built rear end and some other go fast bis on it. Still running dual SU's. Has slotted disk mags. philmaurer at gmail dot com.

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
stupid ExPoers - you're making me want to keep it!

though that 240z is tempting.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94