1980 Ford F-250 Build Thread (Clydesdale)

Stark in the Wild

The PCM is the car’s computer, similar to an ECU, only the PCM is a control module for the entire Powertrain so engine, transmission, sometimes even ABS. If it gets wet and fried your car will no longer run.

I believe EFI didn’t come till ‘85 so you probably have a carburetor on there anyways. At that point, your distributor is the fail point outside of water in the intake.
Okay i was coming to that conclusion as well. Really appreciate the insight! The more knowledge the better especially since I am getting ready to hit some trails soon.

Stark in the Wild

Finally hit up Pismo! and got a Tepui Tent installed on a rack i built in an hour

Attachments

• DSC08610.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 47
  • DSC08592.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 40
  • DSC08590.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 40
  • DSC08579.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 45

OverlandNA

That is not a "PCM" it is an electronic ignition control module (around $30) and it is nowhere near your left foot in the cab as people where stating in earlier posts.
Electronic ignition control boxes were around since the early 70's. Computer controlled ecm, pcm - etc started in 80 1/2 GM models domesticaly.

Stark in the Wild

Long story short tomorrow I was supposed to go hike Mount Shasta. My buddy / guide for the trip canceled last minute. In a moment of terrible decision making my best friend (who went in on the truck with me) and myself decided that we would drive the truck out to Telluride Colorado and back again site seeing along the way in a total of 6 days (rushed). I will keep you posted on that! To get ready for this trip we replaced the blown speakers and the alternator (which went bad in pismo a week ago). Also a quick weather check showed lots of rain and snow so I had to fix the wipers which had bad linkage and then after fixing that the wiper motor went out. Both are fixed now and lots of RainX will be applied. 2200 miles in a thousand dollar truck (not including tires) :oops:

Stark in the Wild

Well I just took the old beast on a 2,400 mile road trip from CA to CO and back again through AZ and UT.
Mechanically all we did was replace: head gasket, alternator, and battery.
Maintenance wise all we did was: New tires, and oil change.
For an initial cost of $900 I'm shocked we had absolutely NO BREAKDOWNS! But it is carbureted so once we hit above 5,000 feet in altitude we had some power issues...and once we got past 10,000 we had hardly any power at all. Basically flat out for most of our time at altitude. Attached are some of the photos I took. Mostly of the truck but one of the hike we drove all the way out to Telluride for. Hope you enjoy!

Stark in the Wild

Small addition made to the truck! I bolted on a bottle opener to the bumper.

With that in mind I have a question. Are there any random additions or ideas that you have done or thought of doing to your rig that could be useful or fun when out there on the trail or at camp? This truck was purchased to my blank canvas so I am open to fun/new/random/not popular additions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke