1980 creger 4x4 rv

864x4rv

Observer
Does anybody on this forum know about these rvs built by champion in the late 1970's? I have a chance to pick one up and would like to know how involved it is to swap the 400 engine with a 7.3 diesel engine. Here is a picture of the rv.DSCF1224.JPG

chasespeed

Explorer
Yep.

The late 70s fords are pretty easy to swap just about anything into.

The 400 isnt a bad engine at all. Had one in a truck back in the 90s... plenty of torque, and reasonable mileage.

I dont know that I would go through the hassle of swapping a 7.3, unless you are talking an IDI... I would go with a VE or P-pump 6BTA Cummins. One wire, simple, tons of torque, and great economy........

The powerstroke would be doable, but, much more involved.....

Just my thoughts...

Chase

chet

island Explorer
I saw one of those around here lately. I have always been a fan of late 70's fords.

The 400m gets a back rep due to low compression and crappy cams. Do a search on google for 400m and see what you find. Some simple upgrades (or a complete rebuild) will get you a stump puller of a motor.

That being said a 1993-94 idi turbo 7.3 would be a nice swap. Not very hard to do as donors are pretty common.

864x4rv

Observer
OTR,

That is exactly what I am thinking of doing. I have a 1996 F250 diesel 4x4 with a SAS. I want to see how the rv part of it was attached and whether I could just transplant it to my diesel. I love the concept of a cabin passthru.

I will find out from the seller either today or tomorrow. I have not inspected it and I am relying on pictures and information from the seller. I will keep you all posted. If it does not work out for me then I will pass on the contact info for anybody interested in buying.

partsflyin

Adventurer
OTR,

That is exactly what I am thinking of doing. I have a 1996 F250 diesel 4x4 with a SAS. I want to see how the rv part of it was attached and whether I could just transplant it to my diesel. I love the concept of a cabin passthru.

I will find out from the seller either today or tomorrow. I have not inspected it and I am relying on pictures and information from the seller. I will keep you all posted. If it does not work out for me then I will pass on the contact info for anybody interested in buying.

PLEASE DONT!! That thing absolutely rocks!!!! Large front hubs lead me to believe there's a 60 hiding under there to!

Last edited:
I had a girlfriend when I was growing up. (don't be so shocked) her dad had a 1979 ford bronco with the 400 in it.:drool:. He was a great guy he used to let me take it out on dates with his daughter, we took that thing many places two young people should not be alone :sombrero:.
Man just remembering those memories...... awe you know what? me and her broke up but her Dad and I are still good friends and are members of the rocky mountain elk foundation. My wife loves him, very outdoorsy guy. funny how life goes but I loved that damn bronco. that 400 was bulletproof I could get that thing almost anywhere I wanted to go and trust me when your looking for a good make out point your willing to drive (WAY out of the way :wings:).
any-who.... sorry now back to your regularly scheduled program.

truck mechanic

Adventurer
Oh Man, dont remount the camper, put a new driveline in it but leave the 79 ford alone, I LOVE old iron and if it was near me I would grab it in a heart beat. I have a na 7.3 and a zf 5 spd going in a 74 IH pick up, but if that camper was near me it would go in there and I have the coolest beach buggy out on race point!
Paul

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles