1980 CJ7 first Jeep build

MrBeast

Explorer
So after going to all that trouble to swap tubs, I found a better tub than the tub I replaced the old tub with, so here we go again!

NewTub1.jpg

And it is the color I want! Paint looks like it will clean up enough to be serviceable!

Need to patch a bit of rust in the floor, but managed to score a patch panel from the same guy!

I say it was $300 (200 for the tub, 50 for the other parts, gave him an extra 50 for cutting out the patch panel for me) very well spent!

Hopefully will have it all cleaned up and welded up by Christmas!

Will get some better pics tomorrow.

MrBeast

Explorer
Got the tub to the shop, the company I work for has been nice enough to let me use the shop over Christmas to install the new Tub and rear axle.

TubInShop.jpg

She is in good shape over all but the drivers side floor is full of rust.

RustInPan.jpg

Spent the last couple of days cleaning up the tub and cutting out rust...

RustCut1.jpg

And got the patch panel cut to size ready to weld.

PatchPanel.jpg

PatchPanelReadyToWeld.jpg

ReadyToWeld.jpg

She is ready to weld up in the morning, I sprayed a bunch of rust converter on her tonight to kill all the rust, so she should be all set in the AM!

JeepInTheShop.jpg

After that got the Jeep pulled in the shop and emptied out the inside, had a ton of parts in there.

And Speaking of Parts...

ProFloInBox.jpg

GenRightTankInPlastic.jpg

These arrived this week!

I am super excited to have EFI on this thing, gonna be the first rig I have put a multi-port sequential system in!

Should make that AMC 304 V8 purr!

Tomorrow I am going to tear the Jeep down and get the tub welded up, hoping to get the tub mounted on the frame by the end of the day tomorrow, we will see, that is pretty ambitious!

MrBeast

Explorer
FloorCut1.jpg

The last couple of days have been very busy, I finished cutting the floor out removing the rust...

Tacked%20In.jpg

Then I got the floor tacked in, and finally welded up and ground down

Ground%20Down.jpg

I am pretty happy with how that all went.

Welder.jpg

Welder1.jpg

The problem being is that in removing all that rust, I wound up having to cut quite a large chunk out on the drivers side under the Jeep emblem.

A_PillarRust1.jpg

A_PillarRust2.jpg

Luckily I had the junk fender I got with the jeep and used that to make a patch panel...

A_PillarRust3.jpg

A_PillarRust4.jpg

Then it was time for one last look at her before tearing her down.

LastTogetherWhiteTub.jpg

ClipOff1.jpg

ClipOff2.jpg

Then got the dash Gutted, and finally removed the Tub.

DashGutted.jpg

StrippedTub..jpg

I finished off the night by installing the Roll Bar in the new tub, although it is going to take some fiddling with as the bolt holes do not all line up. It will be good enough for now however so I can finish welding up the cage after installing the dash.

RollbarSwapped.jpg

I would have put the dash in as well but I painted the pedals and they had not finished drying yet.

There is still a good amount of welding to do to the tub, but I want to get it sitting on the frame to make it a bit easier to work on, everything is down low how I have it sitting right now, and yeah, those are harbor freight jack stands! :surprise:

My%20Helper.jpg

Really looking forward to taking my helper for rides in this thing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior