1980 CJ7 build

Teamoatmealpie

Observer
Nice job, very cool build, the journey to get there is inspiring. Once she rolls out of the shop you'll have pride in all the work you have done.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
No photos, but the rear has been done and back for a while. I got it put under the Jeep, but it isn't painted the final color yet, just black right now. Also I won't know if the pinion angle is right till I get the tub back on it and get more weight on it. It was rotated upwards on the CJ5 by the previous builder, and I'm sure it was tilted up too high, so I'll probably need to shim it down some.

Found a fabricator to weld me up a new fuel tank. Turns out the YJ tank I got with the tub will NOT fit in the CJ7 frame. So much for having the filler on the driver side the easy way. He's coming buy Wed to take measurements.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Well, it's been over a year, and I'm back. I had major problems at home, plus I ended up getting a new computer, and Yup, you guessed it... couldn't remember my password here. Lol. I wasn't getting a ton of responses so I just didn't worry about it, but my goal really is to take this thing and travel with it so it was always in the back of my mind. Still get on the Midwest Overlanders facebook page from time to time, and follow some youtube channels like Trailrecon, so I missed being here. Gave it another shot, and got it right.

There hasn't been a whole lot of progress as things have been financially tough, but I'll fill you in, for anyone who's interested... Axles are done, painted, and in. New everything, including Detroit Tru-trac on both ends. All 4 new calipers too. Got a new set of 35" KO2s on powder coated American Racing Outlaw wheels. Tinkered around with some stuff I already had like the seat, and hitch. Got some parts in I haven't hooked up like brake lines, headers, and a shifter.

11l.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Fuel tank is done. That was a PITA too. The guy did a good job overall, and he was very inexpensive but he was very slow. Like me, he kept having family things creep up. Also the inlets did end up being a bit too low at first, and had to be moved up, but it fits now. Just waiting on warmer weather to do the chemical treat, and liner stuff.

10i.JPG

10j.JPG

10t.JPG

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Loving the nice weather. Spent some quality time out in the garage with "two seven" last couple days. Don't have any new parts to slap on real easy, but I did get some stuff done with parts on hand that had been taking way too long to finish. Gas tank for one. I never did finish the process of doing all the chemical treatment required to do the Eastwood Fuel Tank Liner, and couldn't really work with the chemicals out in freezing weather. Here's all the crap required according to the instructions on the bottle. During the process I'm required to flush the tank out with water, so I took the chance to see how many gallons it holds... Just over 17, with some spillage between containers.

Then the liner itself.

Now... instructions say to insert an air hose with it set to 2 to 4 psi. it take 48 hrs to fully dry. OK, this is weird, but I'll do it. Don't want any troubles with a gas tank out in BFE some day. I walk out in the garage next morning. OMG the fumes!!

12a.jpg12b.jpg12c.jpg12e.jpg12f.jpg

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
As long as it was spray painting weather, I hit the seat mount with a coat, and mounted the main seat belt. This is a racing belt that came on the '79 CJ5 I got the engine, and axles out of. It has shoulder straps and a anti-dive belt too. Not sure I'll use them. That other Jeep had plastic seats mounted on the cage.

12h.jpg12i.jpg12j.jpg12k.jpg12l.jpg

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I started looking at the lines I got not long ago. Some of them are very close to the originals.
Front one probably is too, having a Dana 44 from a full size Dodge truck doesn't help matters. It is, however, close enough that I could modify it to work.
The rear... well that's another story. I can't make heads or tails out of what they labeled as the right and left rear axle lines. even IF I had a stock axle. (and a Chrysler 9.25 is NOT) Furthermore what came with is was just hanging from the frame, and calipers... I'll need to make my own here.
By the way... anyone got tips on the power brake set op on a YJ? Neither the '79 CJ5, or the '80 CJ7 I took apart had power brakes. I want to use the power set up that came with the YJ tub. The CJ5 (I got the axles from) has a manual master cylinder, with a Willwood proportioning valve to adjust for the 4 wheel disc conversion.
12m.jpg12n.jpg12o.jpg12p.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94