1980 CJ7 build

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Nice looking Jeep. Why you getting out of the Jeep game? I'd relieve you of the parts, but my trailer isn't really all that big, and the only part I really may need bad is a solid CJ7 tub. Though mine is saveable, not sure I have the skill, or want to put in the time.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
I've been having a hit or miss kinda deal on posting photos lately with photobucket going crazy demanding high fees. I signed up for Imgur. One minute I got it figured out, the next, I can't do it. Beside my mobility issues, I also have big time memory problems thanks to a TBI. All part of the same IED attack. That's one reason why I'm worried about starting a project this involved. I'll be taking a lot of photos and videos to help me remember how things go. That gave me the idea to do a youtube video.

Last edited:

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Nice looking Jeep. Why you getting out of the Jeep game? I'd relieve you of the parts, but my trailer isn't really all that big, and the only part I really may need bad is a solid CJ7 tub. Though mine is saveable, not sure I have the skill, or want to put in the time.

Burn out. Too many projects. Lack of the space I used to have.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Started tear down today. Gotta save that Mopar 360. Wow, hot out. Yes, 75 is hot... I need a more powerful fan for the garage.

Hyds75b.jpg

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
More time spent taking parts off the CJ5 today.

I got the side steps off.
Mirrors off.
Can't get windshield off... some bolts striped...
Fuel can holders off.
Hi-Lift mounts off.
Got the twin stick cable shifter off the T-case.
Fire extinguisher came out.
Radio antenna mount came off.
Got my center console (20mm ammo box) out.
Salvaged a few electric parts from the dash.
Ended up getting too sore to finish getting the tach out, and left it hanging by the wires for the night, but it will come out tomorrow after my VFW district meeting.

I'm not skilled, and I'm not fast, but I'm not doing too bad for an old fat cripple... I'm having fun jamming to my oldies and wrenching on my Jeep.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
STILL couldn't get the tach off unless I wanted to cut the wires. Have to take the dash off. Of course I can't do that because the 6 point cage is in the way of the outside bolts to get the dash off. So I spent tonight wrestling with the old bolts getting the cage undone. At least tomorrow I can get the dash off. I'd have to anyway to get the gauges out and the MSD box out as I can't get up in to where they are mounted either... Hope to be pulling the motor this week.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Seat out, roll cage out, dash off, gauges out, MSD box out, windshield off, dash back on.

It's fun salvaging old parts.

Maybe not so much fun when you spend 5 songs getting a single bolt off... with the open end of a wrench... left handed... with your back and shoulder cussing you out.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
After a long spell of being too sore to do anything on the Jeep I'm back at the tear down again. Got the exhaust off yesterday. Fun getting very rusty heady bolts off when they are right behind where the header tube come out and turns out covering the bolt... Got the fuel tank out as well, that I had topped off right before the breakdown that prompted the tear down, so probably had 18 gal in the 20 gal tank. Must have ended up with at least a half gallon on the garage floor... The tank is a big aluminium one, in perfect shape, and will go in the CJ7. Wish I knew who made it, but it worked well in the CJ5.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Spent 4 hrs getting ready to pull engine only to find out my cherry picker was short on hydraulic oil. There's always tomorrow.

unkamonkey

Explorer
Spent 4 hrs getting ready to pull engine only to find out my cherry picker was short on hydraulic oil. There's always tomorrow.
It could have been worse. On a few projects I would wander out and just stand there with my hands on my hips and look at the project. "OK, what is going to go wrong today?"

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Going better. Got the engine, trans, T-case, and front axle out. Rear axle will come out tomorrow and the carcass of the CJ5 can be hauled out of the garage to make room for the CJ7 that will be built using this engine, and these axles. Looking forward to getting the CJ7 in the garage before snow hits.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Teardown of CJ5 is complete, frame and tub is sold, and CJ7 has been rolled into the garage.

THIS is my true starting point. The CJ5 was for parts I will use on the build of this (the $120 CJ7)... that first has to come down to the frame.

1a Roll in to garage.jpg

Step one, Remove the hard top.

1b  Hard top off.jpg

Step two, Had my son helping me work on the Jeep. I'm trying to pry an electric connector off the rear window wiper, and I need something to lift the clip up to unlock it...

Me to son: “Go get me a screwdriver. Never mind, I can pry with my pocket knife.”

Famous last words of a fool.

Took about a quarter inch off the tip of my left thumb.... I guess I'll take a break on the Jeep for a while.

My wife will confirm that having patience is not my greatest strength. Gotta take care of the wife anyhow, she just had a hysterectomy this morning.

Side note, I had installed new LED lighting in the garage to cope with cold weather lighting problems the stupid ballasts were giving me in the old lights. Much better.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Doors, hood, windshield off, and rear seat out. Real hard to do anything with only one thumb in working order.

Hm8SQWM.jpg

Got a buddy coming over to help see if we can get the 258 running tomorrow. Don't really care, I'm not using it, and I'm not putting a single dollar in it, but it would be nice to know when I go to sell it later. Hell, I'll be happy if it's not froze up seeing as it's been sitting about 4 years.

daddyusmaximus

Explorer
Turns out the engine has a knock in either the front or second cylinder. It will barely run, but it should be rebuildable. Knowing something is better than knowing nothing.

Thumb is healing very slowly, and the cold weather not helping, but a few more things have come off under Brandy's watchful eye. Brandy is my 96 lb German Shepherd who works as a PTSD/TBI/ service dog. She is with me pretty much 24/7.

1e fenders and grill off.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles