1980 300GD LWB "Radio Flyer"; Stage 1 complete!

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
As some of you know, I purchased this wonderful rig about a month ago. Still VERY happy that I did. I've found a few surprises but overall I'm very pleased, especially since the PO(2nd owner) had all the original federalization paperwork/pics/notes from the 1st owner, original bill of sale from Germany to the USA, customs importation invoice, most all of the receipts (LOTS of $$ on maintenance), etc. Anyways, it's been kept in great shape (no typical rust whatsoever) and been a local Portland, OR rig since its importation in '81, but there was still room for clean-up.

Stage 1 consisted of;
--De-chroming front Mercedes star (I still need to do this to the antenna)
--Painting silver factory Mercedes(Puch actually) center caps "military black"
--De-rusting lugs and painting "military black"
--Painting side and rear Mercedes-Benz emblems "military black" (I'll purchase OEM emblems when I fully resto it)
--Painting rear Puch license plate frame "military black" (was faded)
--De-ambering signals (flows better IMHO with the military black theme)
--NOS Oregon license plate
--Upgrade all fasteners associated with above items to stainless steel

Onto the pics...

When I bought it;
388557251_o-vi.jpg

388557303_o-vi.jpg

388557341_o-vi.jpg

388557832_o-vi.jpg

First step was black Plasti-Dip'ing Mercedes star;
DSC_5888-vi.jpg

Next was wire wheeling the lug bolts and then painting them(next time I'll have them powdercoated but paint will do for now) and sanding/priming/painting the center caps;
DSC02160-vi.jpg

DSC_5853-vi.jpg

Next was sanding/priming/painting rear Puch plate frame and rear badge;
DSC_5850-vi.jpg

I was going to remove the front mirrors and treat the side emblems to the same, but due to a time crunch before NWMF this weekend, I painted them on the G (still turned out great);
DSC_5858-vi.jpg

Next was waiting for the clear front markers(thanks for the swap Hunter!), new Mercedes clear side markers, and amber section of factory tails, to be professionally smoked(lightly) and then clear'd over by Bill at East Portland Auto Body(the best)!!
DSC_5871-vi.jpg

DSC_5876-vi.jpg

DSC_5878-vi.jpg

DSC_5884-vi.jpg

DSC_5880-vi.jpg

.....(15 pic limit)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
And it's done for now(will post better daylight pics soon);
DSC_5886-vi.jpg

DSC_5885-vi.jpg

I realize it's not everyone's taste, but feedback is always welcome! All for the love of G. :smiley_drive:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Cool! You got the original Rotzler winch. Very expensive.

If you ever need help:
http://www.rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/available.html

Yes, interestingly enough, it wasn't on the vehicle when it was imported to the USA(per the crappy B&W copied pics I have in my federalization paperwork history). But, since it's on the data card/SA numbers(so the G originally came with one from MB), it seems that the 2nd owner whom I bought it from tracked one down and had it installed. However, the hot wire has been chopped on the frame rail so I need to sort that out, and it's missing the controller which I need to purchase too. Know the best source for these two items Harald?
I've heard the Rotzler's are very beefy but slow(per Dutch). Is this true? How do they compare to a newer Warn 9500i or the like?

PS--yes, I've been meaning to order those. Ordered!

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Wow, thanks for the wonderful words everyone!! I'm really glad you enjoy it as I do!

Updated daylight pics;

DSC_5891-vi.jpg

DSC_5892-vi.jpg

DSC_5893-vi.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior