1979 Suzuki LJ81 "Micro-Overlander"

dasmule

We scored this stock 4X4 1979 Suzuki LJ81 off Craigslist in December 2013! It has quickly become a "Micro-Overlander" project for us. How small (vehicle space, engine HP, clearance, etc) is too small (if there is such a thing)? We plan to leave it stock as much as possible and outfit it for off road overland travel. Here is a the picture we found on Craigslist:

00707_NaVTsZYl42_600x450.jpg

The guy selling it kept the wheels and tires in the picture, but we did get the original stock white wheels and some chrome ones instead. Since purchase, we have built and installed the bed rack; mounted a roof top tent on it; and increased the wheel size just a tad for a little better highway drivability. Now it has a top speed of about 55 with a good tail wind!

Here it is at present:

1530543_717348918296404_825306672_n.jpg

We are now modifying the front bumper to install a small ATV winch and need to get around to painting that bed rack before it starts to rust! Will post more photos as the build progresses.

Also, we're looking for some axle parts (Birfield in particular) from an SJ410 so we can do the disc brake conversion (while that does take away from the all stock mentality, the 1000ft required by these drum brakes just isn't safe!!).

Joe and Dana Marshall
MULE Expedition Outfitters LLC
Seattle, WA
1986 VW Syncro Westfalia
1979 Suzuki LJ81

mspeters

A very rare rig for USA due to smog.

Great 'compacto' concept & plenty of room for camping gear and peli cases under the RTT. Even room for an Engle if it could somehow be isolated from dust. Keep up pictures on the rest of the outfitting.

I have a micro rig with a diesel, running but not fully debugged. 4wheel discs brought nominal improvement, but the drivetrain is now heavier. Am eyeing for a LJ as the next long term project. There is an outfit in Canada (EBI ?) that advertises some sheet metal parts.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
That is very cool!

We (RelicRun.com/RetroRamble staff) and some of the Overland Journal folks have talked about doing a micro rig expedition over the years. Qualified vehicles would be two door Monte, Trooper RS, Vehicross, BJ70, CJ-2, -3B, Samurai, LJ, you get the vibe. Original discussion was a run to Prudhoe Bay, more recent talks have been doing something like the Pony Express from SLC to Reno or similar? You in? :D

Ruby

I know Norm's old rig and the history of it well. I actually used to own those chrome rims, small world. Very cool for what you are doing with it. I am doing the same with my LJ81 (orange as well) but am swapping out the entire drivetrain to Sidekick and Samurai stuff. I'll be watching this for sure.

dasmule

That is very cool!

We (RelicRun.com/RetroRamble staff) and some of the Overland Journal folks have talked about doing a micro rig expedition over the years. Qualified vehicles would be two door Monte, Trooper RS, Vehicross, BJ70, CJ-2, -3B, Samurai, LJ, you get the vibe. Original discussion was a run to Prudhoe Bay, more recent talks have been doing something like the Pony Express from SLC to Reno or similar? You in? :D

Absolutely, we're in! We've talked about trying to get to Overland Expo taking only small 2 lane highways, logging roads and off road trails from Seattle -- won't be this year's Expo due to time constraints, but we're always in for an adventure expedition! Have you talked dates?

dasmule

I know Norm's old rig and the history of it well. I actually used to own those chrome rims, small world. Very cool for what you are doing with it. I am doing the same with my LJ81 (orange as well) but am swapping out the entire drivetrain to Sidekick and Samurai stuff. I'll be watching this for sure.

Awesome! Your old chrome wheels are in for some new adventures : )

Interested to know what you are doing with yours -- if the engine ever quits on ours, we'll do the full Samurai swap. Want to leave it as stock as possible for now.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Absolutely, we're in! We've talked about trying to get to Overland Expo taking only small 2 lane highways, logging roads and off road trails from Seattle -- won't be this year's Expo due to time constraints, but we're always in for an adventure expedition! Have you talked dates?

We have some rough route plans and basic logistics but we've never got as far as planning a date. For what it's worth this discussion has been going on for like 3-4 years now, each year we refine the idea a little more. We are going on our 6th year for the Relic Run event (all 1979 & older vehicles, gear and clothing) and this year we are launching the Retro Ramble event which is all 80's, vehicles, clothing & spirit. Next in our talks with the mini trip.

CLynn85

Explorer
OMG I love this. Definitely something you don't see everyday, or every year for that matter. Definitely keeps the fire alive for wanting a compact overlander. Can't wait to see how you guys use and transform it!

Ruby

Awesome! Your old chrome wheels are in for some new adventures : )

Interested to know what you are doing with yours -- if the engine ever quits on ours, we'll do the full Samurai swap. Want to leave it as stock as possible for now.

Mine is getting a sidekick 1.6 8 valve EFI, auto and sidekick transfer case, sidekick rear end, Samurai front with 5.12 gears, spring over, locked, high steer, sidekick power steering, 31" tires. I have an original metal canopy (story behind that one) that I will build a rack for the top and also rear fenders and gas can etc mounts along the bedsides.

Last edited:

dasmule

Mine is getting a sidekick 1.6 8 valve EFI, auto and sidekick transfer case, sidekick rear end, Samurai front with 5.12 gears, spring over, locked, high steer, sidekick power steering, 31" tires. I have an original metal canopy (story behind that one) that I will build a rack for the top and also rear fenders and gas can etc mounts along the bedsides.

Cool! post a few pics when you get a chance. btw, not sure where you are in BC, but we are up there often (Dana's folks live near Kelowna). We found some 5L and 10L military spec NATO jerry cans that we will be mounting on our build with metal can cages. we love them so much we actually stock and sell them now. the green 10L ones are planned for gas and we'll put some extra oil in the smaller 5L. are you mounting them inside the bed?

Ruby

Here's mine

Jerry cans high lift etc will be on the outside. The sidekick rear end is around 9" wider than Lj diffs so the tires stick out quite far on each side. Picture an offroad trailer with flat top fenders and mounts built into the front and rear of the fenders. That's how I want mine to look.

And I'm in Kamloops.

Ruby

Not sure if you have connected with stevec on this site yet, but he has an lj81 and is in Seattle area too. He's also the main guy on lj10.com and the parts guy too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles