1979 GMC 4WD

Vial Style

I've never done a "build" thread on any of my projects, but I appreciate the time people take to do theirs; this is my attempt:
Keep in mind, the intent of this build is to have a minimalistic van that is comfortable for me and my dirtbike to camp weekends in.

I purchased this in the summer of 2014. 1979 GMC G15 VANdura . The conversion was apparently done when it was near new using components from an also near new Suburban. It has a 350/TH350/NP205 with a D44 (passenger drop) front and 12 bolt rear. The fabrication is unbelievable, and was done by a shipbuilder who worked somewhere on the southern tip of Vancouver Island.

The motor was removed when i purchased, but came with a rebuilt, stock 350. It also had a giant proboscus of a bumper assembly to hold a Warn 8274 and 2nd spare tire. Don't forget the "old-man-special" tacky mud flaps and side steps.

$_20.JPG$_20.JPG$_20.JPG$_20.JPG$_20.JPG$_20.JPG

Last edited:

Vial Style

Then....there was a bunch of doin' stuff.. Putting an engine in a van isn't very glamorous. I didn't take any photos. Nor did I take photos of rebuilding the entire front diff or steering components. As you probably know, it sucked.
However, new BFG's and Aluminum Slots make me not resent the Bondo dust....so much.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Nice looking ride... Looking forward to seeing more of it.

Did you bring it from the rock... Or to it?

Vial Style

I'll throw up some more photos and words and stuff soon.

It's now on the mainland. I live in South Delta, near the border.
BTW, my bike is a plated 2015 Husqvarna FE 350S and it's the business.

DAV!D

Adventurer
Looks really good. I love the old vandura cargo vans. It's the only Chevy van body that looks good as a 4x4 IMO.

Vial Style

I re-finished the floor with vinyl plank. I'm not convinced of it's durability yet, and not sure I'd go that route again...mostly because I had not originally dedicated this van as my moto hauler. I was going to have a bear skin rug and and wet bar and all the good **** in there!

The whole thing was previously sprayed with some kind of crazy insulation, even the floor. There is a 5/8 plywood subfloor over it.

This was the 2nd Van-In Camp-Out, and one of the first times I had it on the road.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
Nice ride! I just started building my 4x4 shorty van, it's going to be sitting on tons and 35's. I can't wait to hit the road!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
The floor looks good. I considered similar products. Is it peel'n stick or click? We used a similar click product in a rental and it turned out well. I found it to be durable, but to mar easily if sharp metal edges scrape across it.

I ended up buying vinyl garage flooring in a big role from Costco... Not installed yet... Too many protects in the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles