1979 Dodge Transvan modification(s) question

seuadr

So in my research about what i do and don't like to build my own camper i came across these transvans which tick a lot of boxes for me - except they are kinda low ceilings.

I'm looking at something like this:

281135325_10228818866362329_8814371802197558754_n.jpg286993630_10229005605550692_718667684036191653_n.jpg
Under that wood paneling is a fiberglass and metal shell. I'm thinking maybe i can split or cut it right at the roofline and add 5 or 6 inches and reglass, or potentially make it a pop up for better regular parking height, etc.

I haven't picked one up yet - the one thing that turns me off so far is it is a 318 with a 3 speed no OD trans in most cases. I wanna make sure i can retrofit something like a dodge 47rh for better economy, and see what i can do about maybe going efi or retrofitting a magnum 318 8n with a stand alone harness. (Or something cool like a 4bt but given the tiny nature of that front i don't think it'll work)

Was thinking if it was a perma raise, i could put little tinted portal windows every so often to add better natural light and make it look more intentional..

But I'm kinda leaning towards a pop top now that i think about it, i just worry it'll become yet another vector for water so need to think about how to manage that...

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
In the late 70's early 80's oilfield service companies tried the Dodge Trans Vans for use as treater vans in Texas and Oklahoma. Big failure as they shook themselves apart.

They were poorly constructed when new, get terrible fuel mileage with a 3 speed automatic transmission, have a carburetor and are unibody in construction.

The CHEAPEST part about building a Trans Van will be the $500 or less you pay to buy one.

Free to Good Home may not be cheap enough!

seuadr

In the late 70's early 80's oilfield service companies tried the Dodge Trans Vans for use as treater vans

They were poorly constructed when new, get terrible fuel mileage with a 3 speed automatic transmission, have a carburetor and are unibody in construction.

Interesting about the service companies, didn't know that!

I have plans to swap over to either a quadrajet setup or EFI, and can fit an A518 transmission in where the current 727 is - so at least a 4 spd with OD and lockup.

I can fit a pair of oil pressure sensors with a relay to make the lockup and od switches automatic.

Beyond that - of course i figured I'd be putting money in - and a slew of modifications including aerodynamics, shoring up suspension shortcomings (like lack of sway bars) and likely dropping the rear end ratio down if needed (apparently it has a dana 60 which might have anything from a 2.92 to a 4.11)

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
79 D60 rear will be 4.10 or 3.54.

For the weight of the rig and the 31% overdrive of a 518/46RH keep the 4.10 if it has it.

seuadr

don't kink shame me... :ROFLMAO:

that turned out to be a real mess - someone did spray foam insulation on the outside of the underbody and then developed a leak inside which rotted the frame rails. i stepped on the rear entry way and it snapped off. :oops:

i actually settled on a shuttle bus for my conversion.

it has the 6.0 powerstroke, which i was initially pretty apprehensive about, but i spoke with a mechanic that builds the E chassis into commercial vehicles and did some research online and while it is "basically" the same motor, it isn't tuned nearly as aggressively as the F series 6.0 and is generally regarded as reliable provided you don't overheat it and damage components.. so i took the leap.

it is a 2004 Aerotech 220 which is a single piece fiberglass shell for the wall/ceiling - the only seams are at the back where the rear is attached and at the floor where the floor and shell meet. should be pretty straight forward to waterproof (and i can stand up in it without any modifications!)

Attachments

• bus 1.jpg
    bus 1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • bus 2.jpg
    bus 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • bus 3.jpg
    bus 3.jpg
    927.6 KB · Views: 4
  • bus 4.jpg
    bus 4.jpg