1978 VW Westfalia!

Jason911

Adventurer
Posting this for my cousin - All original 1978 VW Westfalia up in gopher land! Hermantown, MN to be exact. Posting this for my cousin who works for the dealership(it was traded in at a VW dealer). Original owners purchased it new, spent 98% of its life living on the West Coast and just recently emigrated to Northern MN for the summers(stored winters). 185000 original miles, 1 owner, all service records available. No body damage, no bondo. All original interior and clean! Pictures posted and more pictures coming shortly. Contact Ken Philaya direct: 218-722-6989

Attachments

• IMG_1722.JPG
    IMG_1722.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1729.JPG
    IMG_1729.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1730.JPG
    IMG_1730.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1728.JPG
    IMG_1728.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1726.JPG
    IMG_1726.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1725.JPG
    IMG_1725.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1724.JPG
    IMG_1724.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_1723.JPG
    IMG_1723.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 114

adam88

Explorer
Unknown price at this moment in time. Best bet is to contact direct if your seriously interested.

Why would I contact someone who doesn't know how much they want for something?

Me: "Hello, I'm interested in your 1978 VW Westfalia"
Them: "Ok"
Me: "How much do you want for it?"
Them: "I don't know"
Me: "Ok"

Much better to have your friend post his price to avoid wasting people's time and his.

adam88

Explorer
At the moment of the posting I did not know the price, simply because I DID NOT ASK what the selling price was. Apparently your not interested either, because if you were you'd have the balls to call them directly(using the above supplied phone number). Instead you chose the childish way to post something stupid and immature. Great time waster though.

And he's my cousin. I thought it would be great to share with the expo forum because of the gem of find this is, and it might generate some feedback. Instead I get a fukwad of a response from adam88.

$20,000 is the listing price. Open to serious offers.

Wow nice guy, calling me childish and immature and stupid for wanting a price. Hey bud, thanks for taking time out of your BUSY schedule to grace us all with a price. Sorry to inconvenience you. Here's hoping that your cousin and his dealership make some money off these dumb old folks who traded it in. I bet your cousin kicked the tires of the westfalia and said "You know, these things really aren't worth much anymore. I don't even know if we can take a trade this old. I'll have to talk to my manager". Then he went into his manager's office and they broke open a bottle of champagne and they high fived each other and laughed for 20 minutes. Then he put on his game face, walked back out into the lot and said "Okay guys... my manager said we can't take trades this old, but I managed to talk him into it. He said the best he could do is $3,000. I told him that's not fair, I said offer at least $4,000. After twisting his arm for 20 minutes, he agreed... he can do $4,000. Honestly, we're probably going to lose money on it, but you guys are very important customers to us". Yeah we know how it goes. Here's to America and profit and the land of the free, amen brother.

Jason911

Adventurer
No price at a dealership? I was looking for an eye roll emoji, but there isn't one

At the time of this posting the vehicle hadn't been priced, and I just got the photos to share. Since then the vehicle was priced @ 19,900 and is open to realistic offers.

stclair

Adventurer
I requested more info too. I've always wanted one in this color (as a kid, 2 friends had same), and haven't learned my lesson after the Syncro. Anyway, yes...listed at $39,999 on their site. A far cry from what I was told. They are definitely making themselves look kinda bad with the inconsistent info, and playing right into that shifty car dealer stereotype with this one. That bit about sending it to auction likely meant to create a sense of urgency. Too mucho monies for me, and an automatic anyway. That said, even if I was still interested, I wouldn't want to deal with this dealership, so I'd pass. Oh well. Here is the response I got-

Thank you for your inquire on our Westfalia. We will be asking 24,999. The owners want to send it to barret Jackson. If you are interested, please call me at 218-591-0668. This is a 1 owner since 1978. We have all the records.

Thank you,

Durbin

Last edited:

Jason911

Adventurer
I requested more info too. I've always wanted one in this color (as a kid, 2 friends had same), and haven't learned my lesson after the Syncro. Anyway, yes...listed at $39,999 on their site. A far cry from what I was told. They are definitely making themselves look kinda bad with the inconsistent info, and playing right into that shifty car dealer stereotype with this one. That bit about sending it to auction likely meant to create a sense of urgency. Too mucho monies for me, and an automatic anyway. That said, even if I was still interested, I wouldn't want to deal with this dealership, so I'd pass. Oh well. Here is the response I got-

Thank you for your inquire on our Westfalia. We will be asking 24,999. The owners want to send it to barret Jackson. If you are interested, please call me at 218-591-0668. This is a 1 owner since 1978. We have all the records.

Thank you,

Durbin

I know for a fact that the asking price is just that - asking. All I can say is call the store and ask for Ken(tell them you've been talking with Jason). I'm fairly certain that if your serious with an offer (less than $20K) and the vehicle could be yours. "Sending it to auction" is a way to create a false urgency to get someone to part with their money. No harm in calling and just asking.

stclair

Adventurer
I know for a fact that the asking price is just that - asking. All I can say is call the store and ask for Ken(tell them you've been talking with Jason). I'm fairly certain that if your serious with an offer (less than $20K) and the vehicle could be yours. "Sending it to auction" is a way to create a false urgency to get someone to part with their money. No harm in calling and just asking.

Hey Jason-It's a neat Westfalia, and surely a great find for someone, thanks for posting it. I've had 3 now, and though they always seem to break my heart....I can't stop loving them. When you first posted it, I thought hmmm.....maybe the 4th time will be the charm. However, having dealt with less than honest dealerships in the past, that bad feeling in my gut is enough to make me pass on this one. Oddly, I just, like 5 minutes after my last post got yet another response from them. Maybe they are Expo Members? This time, it seems they've consulted a California dealership to help with pricing. Well, good luck to them, and if it's priced right, it will sell.

"I'm sorry you feel that way. It was me that made the mistake. We have had dealerships from california advise us on price."

adam88

Explorer
Sounds like I was spot on with my original BS detection from the start. Like I said, sketchy dealers are always the same and I can smell them a mile away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz