1977 Nissan Patrol pickup - turbo diesel, 5spd, PTO winches

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I am selling my 77' Patrol Ute project. Think of this truck as a FJ45 pickup with a 12HT and H55 in it along with FJ60 axles fitted with ARB lockers. That is exactly what this truck is only it is the Nissan version of it! :)

I imported the Ute from New Zealand in late 2002. I have a legit Wyoming title for it. I have been working on this truck here and there since 2012. The frame was sand blasted and all unwanted items cut off the frame. I took the SD33 diesel from my 1983 Patrol and had it turbo'ed using a high quality kit from Australia. The entire engine has been rebuilt, top & bottom.

I have set the truck up with a SD33T turbo diesel from a 1983 Patrol. It has been fully rebuilt including the injection pump. Tons of new parts tossed at it from Japan like all new glow plugs, head gasket, thermostat, hard high pressure injection pump lines and more. All the injectors and the turbo have also been rebuilt. No mods have been done to the engine, it was rebuilt back to stock specs. The motor fits well in the Patrols engine bay. Transmission is from a 1986 Patrol, it has been fully rebuilt including new synchros from Japan at $125 each! T-case is fully rebuilt. Lot's of bling like new shifter knobs and boots on the gear boxes, parts sourced from Japan. Both PTO boxes have been fully rebuilt. All new t-case mounted e-brake, this is how Nissan did them. Trans & T-case cleaned up and painted. PTO boxes are alloy so polished and clear coated. New Exedy Safari Tuff clutch from Austrlia, very nice. New clutch slave and master. New from Japan brake master vac. Spare rebuild kits for the axles/diffs, both outers and centers. Diff re-geared to 4.6. Both axles have ARB lockers. Rear axle has a disc brake conversion on it. Front axle has been beefed up using the next gen of Patrol CV and hubs. The CV got a SS ring tig welded to it for added strength. I also have a set of spare axle shafts. Front PTO JDM spec winch is fully rebuilt and has 150ft of 25,000lbs Masterpull line on it. The rear PTO winch needs a rebuild. I have all the original PTO shifter stuff as well as drive shafts for the front winch. The winches plus the rear PTO unit are very hard to find, I got all this stuff out of New Zealand and Colombia S.A. years ago. It has power steering from a 1983 Patrol using the Patrols steering box and pump.

I could go on and on about this truck, its goodies and the $$$$ I have invested in it. It is extremely rare in N. America, only three are known to exist in the USA. It was never sold in N. America. I been working on it as a resto-mod, the entire power train and drive train are from 1980's 160-series Patrols, aka Nissan FJ60. One of a kind truck in this part of the world, no other has the TD, 5spd and locked axles. Let alone the PTO winches. I only know of very few 60-series Patrols worldwide with this power-drivetrain, none of those have front and rear PTO winches.

110" wheelbase. Set up with SoA Rubicon Express leaves in the front and triangulated 4-link rear with coil springs. OEM motor mounts used but custom trans mount fabricated. This is a project, it is not a running truck yet. It is mosly there for any of the big expensive parts of the build. The cab does have some rust around the gutter. Since it is from NZ it was orignally RHD, I have converted it to LHD using the 1983 Patrol steering parts as well as a LHD firewall. This truck was sold as a cab and chassis so it never had an original bed on it. I have no bed for the truck.

Going into winter, perfect time for a new project and a very cool one of a kind project at that! I have a considerable investment in this truck and project and am starting the price at more tha half under what I have in it. The engine is brand new and I have $10k in it alone. Unique opportunity to own a very cool truck. I am leaving the country in two months and need to move this project.

the Ute.jpg
june 2008-7.jpg
SD33T 5.jpg
SD33T 7.JPG
drivetrain2.jpg
front axle22.jpg
motor mounts7.jpg
powertrain5.jpg

Video of the Ute before the project began when it was still in it's orginal state.

Text me for detailed pictures or more info, calls fine too.
I am at 3 zero 7 six nine 0 zero 5 nine 4

$15,000 and I am in Jackson, Wyoming

Cheers

Last edited:

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
couple of pictures....

This is what the Ute can easily look like once finished, albeit a bit bigger and meaner.

IMG_1649.jpg

And here is an FJ45 version....

fj45.jpg

That is a bit more how big and mean it could be once done. 35" tires is what I am-was building it for. You could easily stretch the cab too to make it an extra-cab. I have a lot of spare body parts for the truck in fairly rust free and clean condition such as hood, windhshield frame, firewall and radiator support.

Cheers

Coachgeo

Explorer
SWEEET.... was this same diesel found in the USA diesel sedans? Have always LOVED the older Patrols. It is they who old a big part in my chose to venture into the 4x4 realm of things.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
SWEEET.... was this same diesel found in the USA diesel sedans? Have always LOVED the older Patrols. It is they who old a big part in my chose to venture into the 4x4 realm of things.

As far as I know the only thing Nissan put the SD33T into here in the states is a forklift! They did put the SD22T, a four cylinder version f the SD33T, in some pickups. Not many but some did make it to the USA in the 1980s. International put the SD33T in Scouts in the late 70's and early 80's. It can also be found in some Jeep airport tugs. Oh ya and in the 70's it can be found in some boats!

Cheers

Coachgeo

Explorer
Had to search to remind myself. Liked my old Maxima diesel. here is the Wiki info

" 2.8-liter LD28 OHC inline-six diesel engine (available in the US from mid-1981 through 1983) with either a five-speed manual or a four-speed automatic transmission with overdrive. "

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles