1977 GMC Jimmy High Sierra

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
I have used several different relay banks before sealed, non-sealed, bussman, blue sea, some I have liked and others not so much. While planning the lighting for this rig I was looking for a relay bank with a switch bank like SPOD but without paying $600+ so of course to amazon I go.

Less than $100, looks well made, not completely waterproof though.

IiN1122.jpg

I was thinking of running the switch panel into the ash tray, seeing how i needed to modify it.
iIBwqPh.jpg

no modification needed, the tab that put pressure on the ash tray puts pressure on the switch panel and holds it snuggly.

iIBwqPh.jpg

ZLXavTL.jpg

jn6OcCS.jpg

Now I just need to make up my mind on what off-road lights to run, I am going to run some reverse lights, fog lights, and rock lights off the switches.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
put a little work into the Jimmy this weekend while doing winter preps.

check out the spare, had a tire cover over it.
bF9GlHI.jpg

9MqZ9TN.jpg

not sure if this is a date code or not
MXtNVrX.jpg

the monster was crawling all over it
wUPSuRQ.jpg

so i put him to work
WZaufjx.jpg

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
After my sons rodeo Saturday morning I pulled the steering box and shaft to prep for the weld on brace. I knew the frame was cracked, I did not realize it was cracked this bad.

8enRTEH.jpg

MNEverZ.jpg

20wunWi.jpg

I know its not as bad as some others I have seen pics of but its just crazy with this thing only having about 150,000 miles on it. Sunday was windy and snowing and I was not able to get back out there to finish it in the driveway.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
I took yesterday off work to try and fix the frame before the bad weather were expecting this weekend. Of course I was not able to work on only my stuff for a whole day between helping my parents move stuff, smoking cheese, and working on the Jimmy i was able to get the cracks welded up and get the frame repair panel welded on.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
How do you hold a steering box up that's still hooked to the steering and a bolt on steering brace while putting the bolts in all by yourself?

you hook a chain hoist to a 4x4
tTsHPsc.jpg

Got the box mounted yesterday but nothing else hooked up yet.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
UUUUGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

I get home from work Tuesday night, wife and I are going outside to take care of the livestock, she is telling me about the electricians and the power company being out today, and she keeps walking closer to the Jimmy "the electrician hit the Jimmy with the boom truck"........ are you ********** serious????

iElxTaA.jpg

JvR7xU4.jpg

sM57oYA.jpg

4VrwvVI.jpg

The electrician says he will take care of it personally (which means he doesn't want his boss to know), I'm gonna take it to a body shop for an estimate. The two things that piss me off the most about this is its a 1977 so that's a 1 year trim, and i was keeping the original patina to the paint.

I already had Wednesday scheduled off to work on rigs, so I finished hooking the steering box up and fitting the Borgeson steering shaft. The Jimmy now drives in its own lane with the cracks repaired, weld on brace, bolt on steering box brace and the new shaft.

ru7fydY.jpg

eblau

Adventurer
If it makes you feel any better at least you didn't do that yourself. I buckled a door inward with a towing mirror on my (ex) girlfriends original paint 78 F250 crewcab going into the garage last summer. Made the most gutwrenching sound when it hit. ugghh.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
I need to replace the rubber fuel lines on this thing, if it sits for more than a day I have to dump gas in the carb to prime it.

No pics but the other day I used the jimmy to move our irrigation trailer around with its flat tires lol. its just been sitting while my son and i put out efforts into the Cherokee.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
put a little work into the Jimmy this weekend while doing winter preps.

check out the spare, had a tire cover over it.
bF9GlHI.jpg

9MqZ9TN.jpg

not sure if this is a date code or not
MXtNVrX.jpg

the monster was crawling all over it
wUPSuRQ.jpg

so i put him to work
WZaufjx.jpg

Looks like the OME tire.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
I was going to sell the Jimmy but the wife wants me to keep it, she usually doesn't have any opinion on what I do with vehicles but she has made her choices known on the 72 K5 and the Jimmy.

The other week I went out to start it up and no spark, figured its a GM its the ignition control module and I've had enough GM's that I just have on on hand lol. I'm getting the age (and shape) where I am not hunching down under the hood to change it out so I built the hood remover attachment for my cherry picker. It took me a couple weeks after removing the hood to have the time and drive to change it out though. Yesterday my son changed the ICM, cap and rotor with me directing him, had to prime the carb and fuel lines but she fired up again.

After putting the hood back on we had to move the cherry picker back to the shop and wasn't dragging it 300 feet in gravel and dirt so we used this, he loves driving the tractor

7I5yvdW.jpg

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
ive been asked for pictures else where for the hood removing attachment, so figured i would share

YY1s9iU.jpg

KKm9Y8g.jpg

hluBXIQ.jpg

afYefiB.jpg

BUrQhUr.jpg

7EqSPnT.jpg

MmB8qfV.jpg

the two arms can be adjusted side to side and swing back up to the top for storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles