1976 Toyota Chinook: 1st Attempt

morox

Observer
Hey all, sorry for the long pause. Gonna be lots more of that in the future but I'll keep posting in big batches eventually.

Pmorin: I knew I recognized your name. I was pretty active on the Yahoo group around 2012-2014 when I first started this project. Super helpful and quirky, opinionated group eh?

Here are the updates from the flofab weld shop in words: 2.5 welded sub-frames and one wheelbase extension.

In pictures:
Rolling into the shop
519069591.jpg

Coming off again
522724845.jpg

New shackle location, 17.5" distal to the originals.
522724878.jpg

Quality weld
522724907.jpg

Maintaining the shackle rate angle = precision work.
522960528.jpg

Tubes.
522986017.jpg

This is the 0.5 of of the 2.5 subframes I referred to. Welded steel tubing now spans the length between the forward shackle under the cab to just in front of the torsion bars. Less sway and less truck breaking in half under the weight of the other 2 new frames + camper.
523842905.jpg

523842941.jpg

522986026.jpg

Attachments

• 522960540.jpg
    522960540.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 372

morox

Observer
New shock mount
523842977.jpg

So many parts involved
IMG_5113.jpg

Subframes. Needed to lift the camper ~7" off the original frame so the cabover would clear the top of the T100 cab. Dflo decided to weld one subframe to the original frame and another to be fixed permanently to the camper. This combo accomplishes the clearance needed, creates massive new stiffness and support for the camper and will hopefully help prevent the old bones from rattling apart when I inevitably lift the camper off the frame for fiberglass and pain work.
519855958.jpg

519855928.jpg

IMG_5018.jpg

How a T100 looks with a 17.5" wheelbase extension and no bed.
523849842.jpg

523849855.jpg

morox

Observer
@pmorin: thanks man, I can't tell you how happy I am to see this project move forward. So many ups and downs with something like this...today I'm riding high. :)
~Brian

morox

Observer
****** do I do with these spare parts now? Dflo knows...frankenminiT100. I do need to get rid of the T100 bed/bumper as well as the toyota mini truck. Both are in pretty good shape. The mini truck will go very cheaply to anyone looking for a new base for their Chinook project or maybe a nice flatbed. PM me if you're interested. Also, if you have any recommendations for where to list these (I have a Craigslist ad running for the bed/bumper) I'd really appreciate it.
IMG_5234.jpg

Real world testing
IMG_5356.jpg

It's Christmas in August **********!
523997767.jpg

IMG_5362.jpg

523997750.jpg

Got some more figurin to do for the cab/camper mating then to dream up a rear bumper, have some new springs made and drive the whole deal north to my dad's shop where we'll frame and fiberglass the camper. Dreaming of extending the cabover section and fabbing a new roof and lift mechanism but that may be left for phase 3.

Til next time,
~Brian

pmorin35

****** do I do with these spare parts now? Dflo knows...frankenminiT100. I do need to get rid of the T100 bed/bumper as well as the toyota mini truck. Both are in pretty good shape. The mini truck will go very cheaply to anyone looking for a new base for their Chinook project or maybe a nice flatbed. PM me if you're interested. Also, if you have any recommendations for where to list these (I have a Craigslist ad running for the bed/bumper) I'd really appreciate it.
View attachment 413720

Real world testing
View attachment 413717

It's Christmas in August **********!
View attachment 413718

View attachment 413719

View attachment 413716

Got some more figurin to do for the cab/camper mating then to dream up a rear bumper, have some new springs made and drive the whole deal north to my dad's shop where we'll frame and fiberglass the camper. Dreaming of extending the cabover section and fabbing a new roof and lift mechanism but that may be left for phase 3.

Til next time,
~Brian

Multiple frames welded together to raise the camper was clever. I'm glad you had a good experience. I've just started the process of either buying a 4x4 Chinook or looking for a donor vehicle to swap with the one I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morox

Observer
Best of luck in your search pmorin. As far as toyota's go I found T100s and 1st-gen tundras to be the most reasonably priced and well-suited to this kind of project. That said, all older Toyotas are just in too high of demand for many values to be found. PM me if you want to chat or bounce some ideas around. I still hope to check your Chinook out in person sometime but for now a phone call may work better.

pmorin35

Best of luck in your search pmorin. As far as toyota's go I found T100s and 1st-gen tundras to be the most reasonably priced and well-suited to this kind of project. That said, all older Toyotas are just in too high of demand for many values to be found. PM me if you want to chat or bounce some ideas around. I still hope to check your Chinook out in person sometime but for now a phone call may work better.

bc61f7da620fc21d62a1a4ae2ca0de57.jpg
A pic from when I first got it. Definitely need to pick your brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoahGenda

Adventurer
Im so excited to see this thing out in the wild sometime!

I am about 7500 miles into our trip and I still LOVE the T100 platform.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I see you mounted it independently of the cab. Was wondering the other day if anyone had cut the back of the cab on a later Toyota and bolted on a camper body. Anyone?

1v6pony

Adventurer
Wow, I am in the process of deciding what 4x4 platform to fit my newly acquired chinook also. I like the T100 but i cant say I like the look from the side with the extra 7 in, I realize you have not completed your vision yet. Cant wait to see what it looks like. do you know if the Tacoma would have needed to have the same 7 in height adjustment to fit over the cab?

1v6pony

Adventurer
Thank you I saw that one but the 2013 is a totally diff body style much larger, I am looking for a 1998-2004 , the body is much smaller think it would be a better fit. hoping someone has done one to make sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier