1976 Land Rover Series III 109 build "Montoya"

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Day one of our imprisonment in paradise. They have this diabolical approach to create an excruciatingly painful sensory assault. First they shine bright, hot sunshine on you. You sweat, you are forced to strip down as are all of these amazingly beautiful people (some of the females seem to have incorporated large flotation devices just below their necks - pure genius!). Every once in awhile, your eyes are blanched by a large sweaty man wearing nothing! Then on closer inspection you discover that the shear magnitude of his portliness is covering a tiny strip of straining spandex, struggling to contain his niblets.

Then, they bring you all this alcohol flavored with amazing sugary goodness. All designed to make you compliant and cause you to work in their sweat camps, hitting a ball over a net and falling in hot sand!

And then, I almost can't speak of this...they place these cauldrons of water everywhere, hoping you will voluntarily jump in, forming a human stew with the other inmates. Insane.

Oh, the agony and torture!

If you can stand to cast your eyes, I have secretly captured an image below. NSFW!

IMG_0820.jpg

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Day two of our captivity and will the horrors never end! The bastages saw us walking on the beach and assumed we were contemplating our escape. They took our shoes and forced us to consume more alcohol. The woman on the cot next to us clearly had two toilet plungers surgically implanted. My wife is very afraid.

IMG_0821.jpg

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
I apologize for my lack of an update yesterday. While attempting to capture the requested image, I was discovered and placed in solitary confinement.

I did record this alien walking on water while blowing her horn.

https://youtu.be/a2KTDC_XMro

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
So, Maroma beach was beautiful and solitary confinement imposed by the wife allowed me to get a lot of reading done. The bad part about getting older and going to a sunny part of the world is that the sun discovers the new geography of your hairline. I played water volleyball while wearing what appeared to be spackle as sun screen. Not realizing that there are a couple of new "parts" in my hair, I discovered later that night a river of fiery pain running across the top of my head. The next day I noticed that all the 50+ year olds were rocking some sort of protective head gear. Sad that it has come to this. My hair was one of the only things I thought hadn't abandoned me for a better life. Anyway, back home after a hellish immigration experience in Houston. A thousand people, kiosks running at 1/100th their normal speed and four immigration officers almost caused us to miss our connecting flight to SATX. I thought a three hour layover was a bit much. Turned out it was perfect.

This morning fuktard was no where to be seen (I think I mentioned that the wife banned her from the house after she left an unwrapped "gift" on our bed - how does the saying go? - you can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter. She didn't even have the curtisey of a wrapping). We left her a huge bowl of food, but only a little was missing. Could it be? The Mexican eagle, a fox, bobcat, mountain Lion? Nope. There she was sprawled out on the towel in Montoya again! This time the remains of one of her victims on the floor below her! Just the head, backbone, feet, and wing tips of some poor wren strewn about. Oh, the carnage! Gross!

But I took a picture:

IMG_0827.JPG

Just replaced the front seal on the TC and painted the prop shaft. As soon as the paint is dry enough, I'll bolt the flange back on and attempt to install the engine!

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
And...it's...in...well,sort of.

It took three attempt as the engine was slightly rotated and I couldn't get it to line up with the studs. Finally, the third time was a charm, but I got a workout! That ******** was tough. We wrastled and we were at a standoff for about an hour. Then I got one stud slightly in the hole. A little more wiggling and one on the other side, but not enough to catch a thread. I pushed the hoist closer to the car to hold the engine in place. I slightly turned the front pulley, pushed, shook it and a saw a stud pop through! I caught a couple of threads on one side with a nut, then on the other side. A little more wiggling and I got a couple threads on every stud! Then it was simple to tighten them all down working around the nine studs until it was nice and tight.

Now for the "sort of" part. In order for the turbo to clear the lhd Series steering arm, I had to rotate it to point straight up. This meant drilling and tapping and installing a new waste gate bracket. What I didn't notice is that the old bracket mount that is cast into the turbo housing now interferes with the end of the steering arm. Damnation! I also reached that point where little things were irritating me big time. That meant it's beer time! No more work until next weekend. A man's got to know when it's time to stop.

So I braced the engine in place and snapped a couple pictures. I didn't realize how low and far back the engine sits, but that low center of gravity will make it hug the corners when I power slide for Jesus on the trails. Giddy up!

IMG_0830.jpgIMG_0829.jpg

TeriAnn

Explorer
And...it's...in...well,sort of.

Now for the "sort of" part. In order for the turbo to clear the lhd Series steering arm, I had to rotate it to point straight up. This meant drilling and tapping and installing a new waste gate bracket. What I didn't notice is that the old bracket mount that is cast into the turbo housing now interferes with the end of the steering arm. Damnation! I also reached that point where little things were irritating me big time. That meant it's beer time! No more work until next weekend. A man's got to know when it's time to stop.

Very nice looking. When you mention the steering arm is in the way do you mean the shaft along the bottom just above the frame or the steering box/steering arm assembly?

If you convert to power steering you end up with a straight shaft that goes between where the upper steering shaft currently enters the current steering box, to the steering box. The shaft goes alongside the inner wing panel
StearingShaft.jpeg

If you decide to convert to power steering the current hot set up is a RR P-38 steering box, pitman arm, and lower steering shaft.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Thanks, TeriAnn!

It is the bottom end of the steering arm from the steering box, but no worries. I trimmed the waste gate bracket off and perfect fit.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
When I was in the military, the M60 was my weapon of choice. Not only would it eliminate anything that interfered with the plan, but tracer rounds helped illuminate the path forward.

Today, my weapon of choice to accomplish the plan seems to be the sawzall. Aptly named, the damn thing will saw anything that gets in its way. Unlike the M60, it doesn't have tracer rounds, but it does have a cool led light that makes things easier. Like the M60, that includes unintended obstacles or "collateral damage". Such is the fate of my turbo oil feed line - collateral damage. Just nicked the braided cover, probably okay, but replaced anyway. I started this little adjustment project with a small hacksaw thinking "I'll just take a moment and nip this little aluminum wastegate bracket off here". The little bastage was mean. It fought back. Bit down on the blade and jammed it up. Out came the sawzall. Littlerally sliced off in 20 seconds (along with afore mentioned nicked turbo oil feed line). Then 45 seconds on the passenger side engine mount frame bracket to allow clearance for the oil filter. I now have about 1/2" clearance between the steering box arm and the turbo. Perfect!

I have a few things to do in the engine bay, but I'm moving to installing the roamer drive and button up the interior. My genetic inability to maintain long term focus will require a shift to something new in order to keep it fresh. Plus, I can reinstall all the floor panels and keep fuktard out of the truck.

Until next week, keep it fresh!

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
So the Global Roamer (I assume - not to make an asp out of any of us - that they used to be Global Rover) overdrive is an impressive piece of kit (see how I snuck in that Brit Rover speak?). Really well constructed and easy to install. Here are all of the parts that came with the overdrive (I purchased the optional aluminum cover as mine leaks like a Britpart and is all rusty and banged up):

IMG_0831.jpg

Installation was pretty straight forward. I give it one wrench out of five. At one point you have to lock the engine so you can torque the retaining nut to 110 ft-lbs. I just slipped a 1/2" ratchet with the correct socket on The crank pulley and let it rest on the front differential. Worked like a charm. Here it is installed. I'll put the linkage in later once I'm finished treating and rust proofing the frame and undercarriage.

IMG_0832.jpg

All in, a good day after some heavy partying over the last couple of nights. Sweet 16 with my friends Friday (wife saw Beauty and the Beast - I definitely got the best end on that deal). However, six Pig Whistle Manhattens and a few beers for good measure and I was laid out Saturday morning. Then a good buddies birthday party Saturday night and some huckster brought a karaoke machine. I scoffed at first, then did my standard (Sweet Caroline is mine as every man should have that one go to that while you still suck, you can almost pull it off after a few drinks - actually after the crowd has a few). Plus, women dig a man who clearly has no talent, but is willing to give it a go. I finished the night with Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire. May be my new go to as my voice has gotten deeper and more raspy over the last few years. Two different women bit me after that song so it has promise. Don't ask, the wife didn't.

LR Max

Local Oaf
Yeah if you plan on doing anything with your series beyond piddling around the farm and town, the overdrive is pretty much a requirement.

One thing I had with mine. The lever was set too far back when disengaged. It would hit the center console. So I did was shorten the rod connecting the OD to the lever. Just a simple pipe cutter, took like, half an inch off in total. So once you install it, if you need to change it, that is a quick and easy way to do so. Also down the road, the lever might start rattling. Some axle grease on the bolt holding the lever in helps with that. In fact, do that for all of the levers and whatnot on the series transmission and transfer case. I just did that a month ago (had the floorboards out) and it REALLY helped with the rattling.

I've got at least 10k on mine and been in there for 3 years. Can't imagine not having it.

Lastly, speaking of shifters, I installed a slick shift gearbox shift kit. Its pretty awesome and I like it. Much better than the stock gearshift.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Thanks, Max, you local oaf! Always on the lookout for tips from those who have blazed before me.

Bonus! Bonus! Bonus!

It was such a gorgeous day in SATX today that I got home a little early and the wife had some girly event to go to, so I puttered around in the driveway. Also, she broke the ML63. I mean it has 130k, but they're mostly highway miles. I bought it new in 2008 as my old company car and now she is finally ready to trade it in. The dealer said $8k...thems fightin' words! $8k...what? 500hp of fire breathing German awesomeness. Still looks beautiful. Maybe her seat is a little broader than when new. Perhaps her high beams aren't as perky, her breath a little stale (bratwurst and sour kraut rich), her rims a little nicked, but she's a runner. Wife brought home some punk trying to take the ladies crown. A GLC43. Also an AMG, but a pretender. V6 biturbo, ha! Sounds like a bunch of pissed off hornets in a tin can when you start it up. I give it credit for trying, but the dealer is a bozo. Let her drive it home to "see how she likes it". That's a bunch of horse hooey. They think they got her. Little do they know that she likes it, but she's about to unleash a can of blonde assasin negotiations on their sorry hides the likes of which they have never seen. She'll have the sales manager coming out of his dank cave to plead with her. That warranty Dude that tries to sell you all those worthless extras will be paying her to not have the service done there. If you feel a power surge tomorrow, figure it's my wife pulling a Magneto on the dealer and sucking the juice out of the grid. Lordy!

So, when a man has a fine machine capable of spinning the earth in the opposite direction, he needs data. What better way than through instrumentation. Montoya requires constant monitoring and that's why I depend on Autometer. Says right on the box, "used in more race cars than all other brands combined". That's something. Also, gauges and switches are simply ************. Ask any women, who would you sleep with? 9 out of 10 will say the guy with the ride with all the cool switches and gauges. Fact. My man card just became titanium, my b...well you get the gist. Check this rooster pit out:

IMG_0833.jpgIMG_0834.jpg

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Yeah, he was a better character in the movie than Homeland.

Hello, campers! Judging by the outstanding hardware on display in this forum, I hope you are using it as intended.

I've been working on electrical. Necessary, but boring with little to show for progress as most is internal. However, I did wire up the gauges and work out the boost and egt connections.

I started with the boost gauge. It was easy. I removed the plug from the back of the intake manifold (best place to measure boost is at the intake). I drilled a 3/16th hole through the length of the bolt, then an 11/32th into the head of the plug and tapped it for 1/8npt. Voila! She's a runner!

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0842.jpg

IMG_0843.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0846.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

Once I run the final wiring and clean everything up, I'll secure that line out of harms way. Next is the egt line...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94