1976 Land Rover Series III 109 build "Montoya"

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Montoya's got a nice rack!

I ordered it a couple months ago and it got here last Wednesday. Ronin came over today and helped me lower it in place. He's I pretty smart dude, but for some reason doesn't know what, "Don't drag it across the roof", means. I asked him as he is super competitive and if I can lift one side over my head and walk it over the truck, he will damn well do it, too. Mission accomplished and it only cost me two of my precious Shiners and an hour giving advice about how he should proceed with his law suits. That included a bonus round of several salacious stories of his ex-mistress (of whom he is clearly still quite fond). At one point I was actually embarrassed and I'm an ex-sailor who travelled the world on a U.S. Navy destroyer for a decade. Age will do that to you.

I also got my wheel bearings last week, so disk brakes are here! I was having a real hard time getting the bottom caliper bolt to tighten up. After several attempts, I finally took the caliper off and after a few head scratches realized that the bottom bolt boss needed a little grinding for the bolt to line up straight as it was hitting the bracket. Forbyn Brothers did an amazing job on the machining of the new swivel ball housings. The craftsmanship is impressive. I'll post more detailed pictures tomorrow, but here are a couple to get started.

IMG_0796.jpg

IMG_0795.jpg

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Motherless Britparts!!!!

Anyone else have issues with their crap not fitting?!

I had four hub grease seals. When the proline bearings came, included in the kit were new oil seals, so I attempted to use them. They were in the dreaded blue plastic bag. Neither fit in my perfectly machined Forbyn Brothers hubs. They were probably .020. too large. Just enough that when you pushed it in, one side would pop out. A little more pressure and they bend. Rats!

Went back to the parts bin and found two rover seals. A little sealant on the edge and I pushed them in with my manly fingers. Perfect fit! Had to grind a little off the caliper mounting ears for clearance, but that was easy. Everything is bolted up and ready for lube!

Check out the machine work:

IMG_0797.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Motherless Britparts!!!!

Anyone else have issues with their crap not fitting?!

I had four hub grease seals. When the proline bearings came, included in the kit were new oil seals, so I attempted to use them. They were in the dreaded blue plastic bag. Neither fit in my perfectly machined Forbyn Brothers hubs. They were probably .020. too large. Just enough that when you pushed it in, one side would pop out. A little more pressure and they bend. Rats!

Went back to the parts bin and found two rover seals. A little sealant on the edge and I pushed them in with my manly fingers. Perfect fit! Had to grind a little off the caliper mounting ears for clearance, but that was easy. Everything is bolted up and ready for lube!

Check out the machine work:

There is a commonly understood alternate spelling for "britparts," beginning with "S" . . . :ar15:

OMG ! ! ! Thanks a lot for the photos. Holy cow ! Jeez, did not know about the ultra-cool stuff from Forbyn Bros. Just opened their website :Wow1:

It's like Timm Cooper to another level :drool:

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
Over here we always reckon that when it comes to Britpart, you need to avoid anything designed for keeping oil or grease in, anything electrical and anything critical to the performance of the vehicle

Having said this, I tend to use Britpart pistons in calliper re-builds, but Lockheed seals. The pistons are better than genuine. Sadly Genuine stuff is getting cheaper and cheaper in build quality

Absolutely beautiful build!

On a side note, although not Rover related, this is on the same subject. I've been working on American Harleys a long time and over the years I have realized it is only a "Like" seal that goes in the component. If it is Harley, it gets Harley seals and gaskets! If it is S&S or Baker, I do the same thing. Like you, I have found that there is always some sort of minor issue that causes problems down the road. Naturally we end up paying a bit more for seals and gaskets but in the end it pays off I guess.

When I rebuilt the front of my LR3 engine bay and accessories, I ordered everything Geniune that was a seal or gasket! I plan to do the same with the front bearings and suspension......I'm sure my pocket book will be happy with me! lol

I'm sure it is getting harder and harder to find Series LR parts that are not aftermarket!

Love the build and always following!

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Thanks, team, I thought I was going looney.

I'm at an exciting place. If the weather would hold, I can paint the engine bay and then drop in the engine and put the rest of the front end back together. There are three major steps in any build: the first beer, the middle beer, and the last beer.

Oh...uh...wait...that's installing the engine, first start, and first drive. Installing the engine means I get to put things back together, connect all the wiring (remember my cool little switch panel?). It's lonesome. No connection, no power, no turn on. Kind of like my ex girlfriend, but that's a whiskey story. I just need a day where the temp stays above 70 and no rain. A weekend day that is.

Oh, I also found this, a story that can be told without libation, but also a story for another day.

IMG_0803.JPG

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
Great thread, lots of energy. Keep up the good work. There are not nearly enough of these on the forum.
Here is a motivation picture of my 1963 109 just outside of deadhorse Alaska on the haul road.

14115382_10205929642113328_992713329373941838_o.jpg

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Thanks, Bender! It is great to see a Series as God intended it - working for mankind.

Looks like another crapola day here in SATX. Took the dog out to get the paper and it's 60 and sprinkling. There's two kinds of rain in TX. Deluge gully washers. I mean like 8" in a couple of hours. Unfortunately, that kind comes with thunder, lightening and often hail. Not those little sweet pea hail stones you sometimes get on the east coast, but giant dog killing thunder dome masses of icebergs. They are so manly that they often attach the sweet little east coast hail peas to themselves forming medieval maces that maximize the destruction they sew. They will destroy your car, rip the siding off your house, and kill you if you are stupid enough to go outside. On the east coast we would say, "Oh look Buffy, it's hailing outside. It's so pretty and if you listen to the cadence you can hear Little Drummer Boy. Let's go outside and catch some on our tongues!" Here in Texas we say, "Holy mother of God, Bubba, the rath of the horseman is upon us, lets go hide in the bathroom!"

East coast hail (isn't it cute?):

IMG_0811.JPG

Texas hail (******!):

IMG_0808.JPG

Even the popo is not immune:

IMG_0810.JPG

The second kind of rain is more the norm. It just spits at you. It looks threatening all day, but doesn't start until you go outside. Sometimes it's so mild that you don't realize it is actually happening until you suddenly discover that you are covered in a sheen of light moisture. That's what we are having today. Montoya is stranded in the driveway. Piggy Porsche is hogging the best spot in the garage trying to recover from its engine swap. It is heading to BaT soon. Daddy needs a few nickels to continue his LR obsession.

IMG_0812.jpg

So, I will putter around doing little tasks when what I really want to do is paint the damn engine bay and get on with it! By the way, you gents ever use Preval sprayers? The perfect solution for the engine bay job. About $10 for two sprayers (primer and top coat) that you then toss in the trash. No mess, no fuss. I painted both bumpers on Piggy Porsche using Preval (professional paint products of course) and they came out perfect. That's my tip of the day! Later.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
So, today it was overcast, but 75 and no rain!

I got the engine bay all prepared and primed. Tomorrow, assuming no rain and I get home from work soon enough, there will be paint! I'm also going to officially call the front suspension done. I still have to tighten up the spring bolts and align the front end, but all major parts are done. It's a good thing as next Sunday is our annual family vacation to Mexico.

Wifey, four kids, any significant others who happen to be in the picture (one is married, one is engaged, one has little interest, and one has a boy friend, but is on her way to college), and the in-laws. We always arrive a couple of days ahead of everyone else in order to scope the place out and discover any get away spots in case we need to get away. My routine is to drink and read, drink some more until I can't read, take a nap, and start over again. That's what I call a vacation! Oh yeah, get a massage here or there.

I caught Fuktard in the rover again. She managed to weasel in by pushing the corner of the floor I laid over the opening and rat flat her stinky self inside. She was asleep! And on the back seat right next to the rear passenger side door on the towel I laid across the seat to use on the rain that always gets inside. Revenge is mine! I kept eyes on her grinch face as I carefully worked my way around Montoya to the door. Still asleep, in fact, I think I heard her fat self snoring. I slowly grabbed the door handle firmly and gave it a satisfying yank. And another. And another. Damnit it was locked! It was like she knew! One eye opened, taunting me to try again, yet the rest of her didn't move. I ran to the rear driver side door. She was still there, although now watching me with interest. I ripped the door open and lunged at her. She sat up, yawned, purred and rubbed against the hand that was about to grab her scruffy neck. I scratched her ear, she rubbed her face against my fingers. Wow, she's not so bad. Kind of sweet.

As I was considering my next step, the little troll bit me. Yes, bit me. Right on the meaty part of the hand in the crotch between thumb and fore finger. It was like she though I looked like one of her favorite prey, the fat little red squirrels that run abound the backyard. I tried to pull away and she wrapped her forelegs around my hand, simultaneously dug in with her claws and bore down with her putrescent teeth, all the while staring straight into my eyes. I pulled back carrying her across the back seat and just as I was about to pull her out of Montoya, she used the momentum of my retreat to swing over the front seat, bounce off the seat cushion and disappear out the hole in the floor. Yep, at large again, but she is now dead to me.

If all goes to plan, I'll spray the engine bay tomorrow, cover it, and drop the engine in on Saturday. Just need some of the weather SATX is usually famous for - sunny and nice!

IMG_0815.jpg

image.jpg

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
Do not scoff or find humor in the crappy masking job, but bask in the glory of paint!

She's a runner!

Well almost, just needs an engine...soon...

IMG_0816.jpg

Some day I'll tell you the story of the first car I ever painted. Actually, the first car I ever owned. A 1964 Mercury Comet with a 260 V8 auto. Bought it for $40 when I was a junior in high school, but couldn't drive it legally as I failed my first driving test (long story). The most embarrassing part was that my girlfriend had her license and used to drive me around. I guess not too embarrassing as at least I had a girlfriend. We'll save that one for later.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
I'm...so...close...

But, we leave for Mexico at oh dark thirty. In fact, with the time change I'm not even going to bed. Adults only, all inclusive on Maroma Beach. Read and drink until I can't read, take a nap, and start again. Ah, life is good. All four kids, one with a fiance, one with a wife, two 80 yo in laws (these two are old school. They live by the motto: "It's five o'clock somewhere in the world." She drinks Makers Mark and water, he drinks rum and coke. Salt of the earth). We had to go all inclusive or these two would drain the bank account!

Engine bay looks great, just need the shaft seal for the transfer case front prop and I can reinstall it and drop the engine in. All else is ready. I bolted the clutch together and the engine is getting impatient. I spend a good bit of time when rebuilding a vehicle, trolling eBay looking for deals. Every once in a while I find some dude who bought a bunch of stuff retail, kept it for years and is now dumping it for a fraction of its value. I'd like to think he is like me. Just wants to give back to the community who treated him so well. When I find it, I buy it. Hence, my garage full of crap. Mostly Porsche and Mustang parts, but some other bits here and there.

I recently found a guy in Spain of all places with a bunch of rare Series III parts. I bought a set of brand new gauges, front grill, a bunch of switches, door panels, seat belts, etc. for cheap. My real problem is that I usually give my stuff away for free. Anyone want any front drum brakes or swivel housings?

We come back next Saturday. Sunday the engine goes in...rain or shine...well..unless the hail from hell shows up.

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0818.jpg

Thought you might appreciate this bonus of the dog heading the Starbucks with my daughter for a pupacccino. Hasta la vista, my friends!

IMG_3028.JPG

Oh, play nice. You never know who is watching.

IMG_0662.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste