1975 712m 6x6 ex-Racing Pnzgauer aka The Warn Pinz

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Impressive list of work completed - was the rear most axle worse than the other rear axle?

Also - I thought when a pertronix ignition module was installed it required the removal (or disconnection at least) of the condensor??? Its been too many years since I installed one to remember - just made me think...

Thanks for the all the updates here and on the www.real4x4.com forum as well.

Thank you. :)

I am not sure what you mean by "worse than the other axle". Neither axle is in bad shape, inside the portal boxes, axle tubes and so forth looks great. While the truck may have been used hard in the past it was well maintained, by myself and previous owners. No water ingress signs can be seen at all in these parts. Next to no wear visible on the gears, axle shafts and so forth. I know I change the fluids all the friggin' time and feel previous owners have done the same by what I see. At least with me, oil changes are not an annual thing, more like 4-5x a year. I am just about to split the diff case so will know more about the center soon but I am betting it looks very good. From the exterior, the bearings feel real tight with no slop at all, like I say just feels and looks real good so far.

From what I can see, the wheel drive/portal box does not need a rebuild. Most if not all the bearings are tight, it doesn't leak. However, going into the rear axle tear down I decided to do it. If nothing else, it is a fun learning experience for me. The bearings being replaced, wear ring and so forth can just be tossed in the spare parts box and used if a failure ever occurs.

As I am sure you have read over on Real4x4, I have the rearmost axle out of the truck. I pulled the axle for a couple reasons, one was because the e-brake needed R&R and it seems easier with the axle out of the truck. Once pulled and after reading some old threads on real4x4 I am sure I could have just cleaned up the e-brake and replaced a few worn parts. I just never do that on my trucks, rather I re-furbish things. IE, clean, paint & replace anything that shows signs of wear or could be replaced while in deep on a component. The other reason I pulled the rear axle was when the boots were replaced a few weeks back one side was found to be leaking into the boot. To me this is unacceptable and I am not willing to pass the truck onto somebody else with this issue. Also after a lot of reading on real4x4 it seems (or maybe I misunderstood) the best way to R&R the axle wiper/seal and related parts was to tear down the diff. During this I found a broken wire on the locker light switch and so I decided to re-furbish the locker while in there. Not that it wasn't working or needed repair, rather 38yr old springs and o-rings could be a problem in the future so why not just replace them now!? The witches hat seems to be leaking a touch so it is also being re-furbished, ie new seal, bearing & o-rings.

I am just the kind of guy who can't take something apart, replace only what needs it and then put it back together again all funky and dirty. I have never been like that and doubt I ever will be. Do it once and do it right is how I always do things.

You may be correct about the condenser. However, it is still there on my dizzy (I recall it being hooked up) so to do a total R&R of the dizzy I figured I should order one. If it doesn't get used, no biggie, it can go into the spare parts box. I didn't install the Petronix years ago, Linden did it.

Cheers

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
fyi, i know the poster has sold rigs on here before, and he does go to town on cleaning up stuff, as if he was going to keep it.

i may be afraid of the poster, but i wouldnt be afraid of buying one of his trucks. :)

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I just discovered tonight the truck has what is called Execution 2 diff upgrade. I can't be certain for all three axles without checking more but I know this has been done on at least the rearmost axle. I am also going to assume it was done in 94 when it was prep'ed for the Trophy. The diff center looks very nice, ie ring gears, pinions and spider gears. If you know much about Pinzgauers you know the Ex2 diff upgrade is not cheap even if you do the work yourself, parts alone are around a grand for each diff.

main.php

main.php

More info on this here,
http://www.mogsrus.com/faqexcgears.html
and pictures
http://www.mogsrus.com/faqexcIIpics.html

Cheers

Last edited:

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
I've been told you can check for the ex-2 diff upgrade by looking up into the diff from the drain hole and rotating a wheel until the gear lines up with the hole.

Nice to see the diff is in good condition.

skibum315

Explorer
Have you considered listing on Bring-a-Trailer? ... or even just submitting this thread to them; or whatever thread would be your preference, if you have several. They seem to go for the unique over there, even of the off-road variety. I'd think with it's heritage, this would generate some interest ... or at the very least some traffic/visibility.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Deal pending....I am doing a trade but the Pinz is pretty much no longer available.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
The deal is done. This Pinz is going to a new home in California. I am trading for a v8 80-series and some other gear.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles