1974 Mercedes 1719

762X39

Explorer
I found this photo of an expo truck I had completely forgotten about. Katherine and I met the couple (Rolf and Gundel) in October of 1999.We hosted them for a couple of nights and had the truck parked in our compound (that raised more than a few eyebrows on the street) for 3 days. They were travelling across Canada at the time, had been across Africa, most of Europe and would make it through the US, Mexico, Guatamala and eventually Costa Rica if I remember.
The truck had a V6 with 197 hp and the truck weighed 14 tonnes. I remember being curious about the fact that they ran it on biodiesel where possible (this was 1999 don't forget). I was amazed at how many places in the world that they could buy biodiesel.

Last edited:

762X39

Explorer
Thank you so much for posting this update.It brought back wonderful memories of Rolf and Gundel (and the late Axels) awesome truck and home.I too was impressed by the dual entrances (especially the shower entrance) as well as the crawl through (which everybody thinks they want but really was most suited to the German Shepherd, Axel).This is the truck that got me to buy my 404 and take it on a modest (5500km) trip to the end of the all season road in northern ontario.:coffee:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles